TTORA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here.

I searched for some good info on this topic, but didn't find much.

I have a completely stock 2002 TRD ext. cab Tacoma that needs new rubber. I'm looking to replace the BFG tires (keeping stock rims) with something comparable that give a good stable ride. Of course price is a factor also.

My driving is 90% on-road, but I don't want a totally street-looking tire. I've seen Tacos with lots of different tires, so I'm wondering what you all might suggest.

I've also priced tires on tirerack.com. Is that a good place to buy, or are there better vendors?

THANKS!

·
Registered
718 Posts
i do believe on your last thread people where saying that it was almost impossible not to find any information about tires. posting this in a new folder wont do much better. if your looking for someone to tell you what tire you should buy, your goin to get a lot of responses. you really do have to do some research on what you are looking for in a tire. what kind of off-roading are you planning on doing, mostly sand/dirt, or mud? choice is up to you about which tire is going to go on your truck. go into a local tire shop talk to one of the guys, see what they have to say. good luck, and search harder next time.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
If you are gonna be on the road 90%, then look at the Michelin LTX M/S or the Michelin X Radial LT from Sams Club. But if you want a more aggressive look but also good on the road, check out the Firestone Destination A/T. I have the X Radials and love them. I can get a pic of what they look like on my truck if you want. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
219 Posts
well, i replaced my stock bfg's with bfg all terrains and i love it. its a great ride, and they last a long time as well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
i def say go with the bfg they wear well and ride quality is good as well. Great all around tires.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
i had the ltx m/s and i LOVED them. they were so nice onroad and not bad in the sand at all. i recommend them for sure for mostly onroad driving. when i took them off they had about 48,000 miles on them and easily had 15,000 more to go.

·
Registered
483 Posts
hear me out slugger.. nitto terra grappler all terrains. i put those in 265/75/16 on a stock 05 'coma. they havent let me down once! i almost got the bfg at's which are great too, but they were about 200 dollars more for all four. i got these tires at a very good price. you truly will not be disapointed. check em out they have a good look too. great road traction and off. check on em

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
It doesn't matter what others say about tires. We are going to try and get you to buy what we have, because we like them. It's about what you are going to use your rig for. You want bling, buy bling? You want off road, get off road? You want on road, get on road? You want combo, get combo tires? It's all about you being honest about what you want and doing the search for that type of tire. Then find them and decide if that's what you want. I can sell sand to a family living in the desert for there sand box. Opinions are like a-hole's? Everybody has one and they all stink. It's you choose, research and go with it.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It doesn't matter what others say about tires. We are going to try and get you to buy what we have, because we like them. It's about what you are going to use your rig for. You want bling, buy bling? You want off road, get off road? You want on road, get on road? You want combo, get combo tires? It's all about you being honest about what you want and doing the search for that type of tire. Then find them and decide if that's what you want. I can sell sand to a family living in the desert for there sand box. Opinions are like a-hole's? Everybody has one and they all stink. It's you choose, research and go with it.
i dont have the ltx m/s anymore and i didnt suggest what i have now.

·
Registered
808 Posts
i dont have the ltx m/s anymore and i didnt suggest what i have now.
I think you're missing his point...everyone's going to have a different opinion on what is "best".

Personally, 90% on road and DD I would go with an AT. If you enjoy wheeling where there is mud then step up to a MT. For AT's most people that have them like the BFG AT's and the Revo's. For DD muds I would suggest BFG MT's or GYear MTR's. I have the BFG MT's and like them (my 2nd set...of course this set came with the truck) There's others for each that Ihave missed that are good as well. Search tires on here and you have a good days worth of reading to enjoy.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
nah i knew his point

the whole what tire to get is a crappy question to answer in general. when i was looking for tires i asked the same one and got 400 different responses. basically you gotta find something in your price range and bight the bullet and buy something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info.

Yeah, I know opinions will vary. It's kind of like asking "what oil to use?". I am doing my own research, but the collective wisdom of a place like this can help a newbie like me avoid some common mistakes, and help to make a better decision quicker.

Right now I have my eyes on the BFG A/T, but I'm going to investigate some of the others mentioned here.

I have a few other newbie tech questions, but I'll do some searching before I just try to post and get the quick answer.

Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts