TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After last weeks trip to Paragon I think I might buy a set of the Stuan Tyre Deflators. Any of you have any experience with them? Kind of pricy though. Also, any opinions on running an on-board compressor instead of carrying an air tank around? I can already see the advantages of a compressor.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Stauns are awesome. Worth the $60.

I have a co2 tank. The right compressor would be fine though.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Don't know if you saw what Pete was using to air down, but that setup is great. I am going to be building one in the near future. Air down all 4 at once and then when you are done, you can air them all up at once as well. As for air, I run CO2, it's cheap and lasts for ever if you have a 20# tank. Just my opinions. :D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Ihave the stauns got htem used for 40 bucks put them on when you get to the park and whem I come back from reg. they are aired down. I have been using the bottle also way cheap to refill just pricey to buy at first,once you own the tank and reg. a fill on a 60 cube bottle like mine is only 13 bucks.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jtaco1 said:
Don't know if you saw what Pete was using to air down, but that setup is great. I am going to be building one in the near future. Air down all 4 at once and then when you are done, you can air them all up at once as well. As for air, I run CO2, it's cheap and lasts for ever if you have a 20# tank. Just my opinions. :D
Ok, I remember seeing your truck, but I can't place your name on here with your real name. Haha. So it was Mark who filled me up, but that was Pete's air line setup? That was really nice for airing back up.

Joe, I think I'm getting the Staun's. One of the guys over at Toyotanation linked me to a site for them, 57$. Someone mentioned to me to make sure I paid close attention to the rear tires because of my locker. With these, I shouldn't have to worry about that anymore.

As far as a tank/compressor setup. I can get an ARB compressor for 240$, and then the hose I can get for another 30$. Most of the airtank setups I saw were close to 350$.

·
Registered
793 Posts
jtaco1 said:
As for air, I run CO2, it's cheap and lasts for ever if you have a 20# tank. :D
Agree completely. Airing down I'll just keep doing it the old fashioned way. Sure, takes a few minutes but usually have plenty of time and I keep that $60 for Stauns aside for something else.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Rodge said:
Ok, I remember seeing your truck, but I can't place your name on here with your real name. Haha. So it was Mark who filled me up, but that was Pete's air line setup? That was really nice for airing back up.

Joe, I think I'm getting the Staun's. One of the guys over at Toyotanation linked me to a site for them, 57$. Someone mentioned to me to make sure I paid close attention to the rear tires because of my locker. With these, I shouldn't have to worry about that anymore.

As far as a tank/compressor setup. I can get an ARB compressor for 240$, and then the hose I can get for another 30$. Most of the airtank setups I saw were close to 350$.
I was the guy running around with the clip board making sure that we didn't forget anyone. I didn't bring my truck, I rode shotgun with Andy. But anyways my name is JT.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yes the air up / aid down system was mine but after using for a few years I've found that there are some advantages and disadvanages.

Pros:
1) You can fill all your tires to the exact same pressure at one time from one source.
2) You can fill one tire in an emergency from the other three tires to get you some where.
3) This system will equalize your tires if it is left connect and the valve is closed.

Cons:
1) It's combersome especially when the hose is cold like it was this weekend.
2) It's not always easy to store.
3) The guage gets beat around a lot and is never correct.

What I was going to do is incorperate the system into the truck and have 4 short hoses that will plug into quick connect in the wheels wells. Then I would have a central valve and gauge mounted near my CO2 bottle so I can switch from the line that runs my ARB's to the line that would energize the manifold so I could air up one, two, three, or four tires at one time. I could also use air tools at each wheel well cause lets face it if you need to use are tools it's not going to be to take off your rear bumper on the trail. What I can also do is incorporate a Staun or Oasis type of relief valve into the valve system that so all I would need to do is turn the valve on and it would deflate the tires to the correct pressure. One good thing about having the system in each wheel well is if someone is stuck and needs air you could easily pull your truck close to the broken truck and lend a pneumatic hand.

Maybe I do have to much time on my hands, but I've been building manifolds for many years now and this type of plumbing is easy for me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
yes you have to much time on you're hands. K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid. luv you pete, in a non fag way

·
Registered
550 Posts
Angus1 said:
yes you have to much time on you're hands. K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid. luv you pete, in a non fag way
Very True, but simple is not as visually impressive. :lmao:

You know I love you too! :xsmokin1:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
3mph toy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing