TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the very well used set of MTR's from wakjob Sunday. My intention is to run these on the street, not the trail. I wouldn't go so far as to say DD, but they'll be used while I 'debug' my wiring, clear all the codes I'm sure to pop, burn in gears, etc. They will not see trail pressure.

That said.. I went to have them mounted on some 15x10's I have today and 2 shops said they wouldn't touch them (Discount and a local mom/pop shop) due to the damage to the beads.

To be fair, I didn't inspect them very closely when I picked them up as I knew they were well worn. I put these in the back of my taco, ran a tie down strap thru them and drove them home. I doubt that the damage was done during my drive home, but I didn't inspect the beads before I left either. Dan has reported running these with out issue for quite a while. I have no reason to doubt him at all.

I did notice that there are marks around both spots, those are not from handling (I ran my hand along the rubber and it didn't make a similar mark). I'm wondering if something happened during the dismount, but I know nothing about this and could be completely wrong.

First question, do any of the more experienced wheelers see serious issues with these?

Secondly, does anybody know a tire shop (or have a hook up) between Denver and Fort Collins that will mount these for me.

for the record, I called Dan and he said he'd hook me up with a place in the springs that would mount them (same shop that dismounted them). I just want to avoid a 220mi round trip to mount the damn tires and I don't want to be stupid and mount something that's going to blow a bead while I'm driving around town.

On to pix:
First tire Outside

from the inside

Second tire: Outside

Inside

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The 2nd tire is trash as the tear is in the sealing part of the bead. The 1st tire is not an issue for higher pressure but it could be easier to pop a bead when running lower pressures. The damage was cause durring the dismount, not enough lube was used. If there is enough tread left to run them, take them back and demand the prorate value of the one tire.

·
Banned
4,181 Posts
Thats 'shovel' damage from them being dismounted they still had pressure and someone rushed and used the 'shovel' to break the bead under pressure, the shovel being pneumatic won and the tire lost. My :2cents:

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Hi gang, those tires were completely deflated (pulled valve cores) when they were dismounted and a generous amount of lube was used. Truth be told I don't remember if the damage was there when I bought them, but I had no problems with them wether aired to 30psi or 8psi. My wheels are 15x8 if that makes a difference?

Doug, if you can't find a place to get them put on I should be able to help out. Let me know, I'll help out however I can with restoring peace-of-mind for using the tires.

>>Dan

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I have run tires like that before. Rock em.. Throw some bead sealer on them and I let them sit with 40 psi in them to make sure they sealed up nice and were fine. My TSLs had that happen when i had them put on the new wheels. They were fine on the truck and fine for my buddy who wanted them on his jeep. He almost got the full life out of them and they were still on the jeep when he sold it.

·
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Now I can at least make an informed decision. For the record, I am not bad mouthing wakkjobb at all, he's been helpful and willing to work with me. I was just looking for some opinions and info.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Thanks Doug, I'm sorry for not checking them when they came off the wheels; I figured they were okay since I have had them on my pile for about a year. Let us know what you end up doing...

>>Dan

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
My buddy didnt get back to me but i will text him tomorrow. Gotta talk shop for the weekend and see about ripping in to my truck anyways.

·
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Doug, I'm sorry for not checking them when they came off the wheels; I figured they were okay since I have had them on my pile for about a year. Let us know what you end up doing...

>>Dan
You and me both. I've never seen something like that so didn't even think to check. Live and learn I guess.

I'm a little nervous running that second tire, even with that 'bead sealer', but I assume the way it's ripped would effect it's ability to hold air. The truck won't move for some time, so I'll watch it to make sure it doesn't loose pressure.

I'd go the route of getting money back from the tire shop, but I'm pretty sure that was a 'buddy deal' wakkjobb got, hence no real way to demand they make it right.

If they won't work at all, then I'm sure wakkjobb will work with me to make it right somehow.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
2nd tire inside looks pretty bad..It didnt load on my phone for osme reason. doug you should be getting a text or call soon. I sent your info over today and hes down to mount em for you.

Look at it this way doug, If it doesnt work for you then here pretty soon i will be getting rid of mine for cheap...I just gotta get sme new rubber and mine have more life on them then that im pretty sure. Same size and it will be 5 We can work out something on them and you can put a set together of the best ones and have spares. If i get this guy to come to earth on his price on a set of old mtrs i will save 3 and give you the other 2. Im building a camping trailer at some point.

·
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
one word: beadlocks :p
some day. These look kind of funny mounted on the 15x10 rims. I've been looking at 17x8 beadlocks for when I actually buy good rubber for the trail.

I need to hit the lotto so I can finish this truck the way i want to, untill then it'll be old bald tires mounted on whatever rims I have sitting around.

Speaking of which, I now have 3 set's of tires I need to dismount and get rid of.

·
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick update... pumped them up to 30psi and they all stayed there for the last couple of weeks.

I'm thinking it looks much better now than with the 35x15x15 TSL's or the 32" retread rollers. FWIW, these bald..er 'experienced' mtr's measured out to between 35 and 35.5". Some day I'll have some new rubber to wheel with, but these'll get by for the trips down to the exhaust shop, burning in new gears, etc.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I already miss them... :( but I'll get over it as soon as I get new tires :D . Glad to hear they're working out so far; they'd be doing the same thing for my truck this winter (holding it up, taking up space) if I didn't sell them.

>>Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts