TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going up to Truckee next week from Yuba City north of Sac. What tire pressure is best for running on snow and/or ice? I'm running 31x10.5 R15's.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
3rdidvet said:
Going up to Truckee next week from Yuba City north of Sac. What tire pressure is best for running on snow and/or ice? I'm running 31x10.5 R15's.

Thanks,
Chris
Click here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's good info, but I'm talking about while running on the highways. Had a real bad experiance with a grader and a BIG cliff up on I-80 a couple years ago on the same trip, and I want to make sure I have the best control I can. The highway turned to glare ice, and those of you who have been over Donner Summit in real bad weather know how hellacious it can get. I also had smaller tires. I'm wondering if airing down slightly might be better than running typical highway inflation.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
3rdidvet said:
That's good info, but I'm talking about while running on the highways. Had a real bad experiance with a grader and a BIG cliff up on I-80 a couple years ago on the same trip, and I want to make sure I have the best control I can. The highway turned to glare ice, and those of you who have been over Donner Summit in real bad weather know how hellacious it can get. I also had smaller tires. I'm wondering if airing down slightly might be better than running typical highway inflation.
Okay, gotcha. If you've got AT's you're off to a good start. I drove on ice highways when I was living in the arctic, I kid you not, highways made of ice! Accross lakes, etc... I never aired down, all I did was take a lot more care when going into corners (MT/R's, horrible tires on ice and hard pack). I'm sure airing down would help, hopefully someone else can help you out with that.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
if your not off-roading, i say stay with regular air pressure.
just go slower,be aware of north facing curves,and places of shadow..:cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to a cabin way out in the mountains, but I have to dirt-road it in. Well, at least in the summer they're dirt! Off road is no issue.
I grew up in the snow back in Buffalo, however, I never drove a truck, just a couple of rear wheel drive cars. 2001 I had a rough ride coming back as 80 had turned to ice, and with it's winding curves and steep inclines and slopes was slowed to 15 or 20 the whole way. On the trip, a grader that was plowing snow lost it in the right lane as we were decending a mountain, and slid into my lane(left). Still going 20, I couldn't even use the brakes as we were going to lose control not having any traction on a decent so I had to put it in the bank. Came out of the bank still rolling down the hill, and the grader was still sliding at me, so I buried it back into the snow bank and spun myself 360 degrees to stop. Avoided the grader but damn near got a heart-attack out of the deal as the other side of the bank was a 100-200' cliff! I just want to be sure I do EVERYTHING I can this time to ensure I have as much tracksion and control as I can!

·
Registered
223 Posts
For the best traction, run chains or cables. For airing down on road, I don't think I would go below 15psi. Find an area to test different pressures and find the one that works best.

·
Registered
77 Posts
01tacoboy said:
For the best traction, run chains or cables. For airing down on road, I don't think I would go below 15psi. Find an area to test different pressures and find the one that works best.
Cables I have never heard of these. I take it that they are similar to chains?

·
Registered
223 Posts
jjrambo said:
Cables I have never heard of these. I take it that they are similar to chains?
They are similar. They are almost like a winch cable wrapped back and forth over the tire. They are used on vehicles with low tire to fender clearance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got new high-end chains. That's not a problem. Just don't wanna have to run 'em for a long period of time. Would rather stay bare rubber and 4x4. Either way, thatnks for all of your help. I'll let you know how the trip pans out when I get back. Anyone know where some decent trails are near Truckee?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
3rdidvet
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing