TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I put a pretty good ½ inch slice on one of my tires while wheeling… I am getting the patch done at a tire company that also specializes in tire patches (whatever that means)… Nonetheless…The tire is still fairly new and in good condition…

What’s everyone’s take on using a patched tire while wheeling? I’m mainly looking for first hand experiences using a patched tire…

The tire is a 35x12.5 X-terrain… The gash was down the middle of the tread…

I appreciate any feedback !

Thanks

·
Administrator
18,281 Posts
I've had a couple tires patched by a local tire company. The guy was very experienced in tire patching and removed the tire from the rim, flatted the tire out, prepped and patched, then re-installed the tire. When done properly, patches are very strong and should last for the remainder of the tire life.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweetness.. just what I wanted to hear... I was hopeing the patch wouldn't be the same $5 kit everyone can buy...

Thank Ya Sir!!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
the best way to patch up a tire is, take the tire off the rim pull out the object (or find the hole/slash) drill the a hole in the tire no bigger than 3/4 of an inch, get a tire plug cover it with rubber cement, pull the plug through the hole. cut the plug fulsh with the inside of the tire, grind until smoth (dont grind to the nylon) apply more rubber cement, wait until dry. then you cover with a patch, once that is done you cover the patch with a bead sealer. clip off the remaining plug outside the tred on the tire, put tire back on rim.

that is the best way that i know to have a hole or slash reparied.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
A patched tire shouldnt give you any problems, I had two tires on my Jeep that ran with patches for about 3 years. One was patched on the edge between the sidewall and the tread, never had a problem with them.
Tim

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Patched near the center of the tread are durable and will not casue you nay further problems. I have a tire guy I have been using since I started driving( uh 18 + years ago) and I have never had a patch of his fail.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had a tire guy tell me that you should NEVER use tire plugs, because they can allow moisture to get into the steel belts, and that tires should only be patched with patches on the inside....I have never had a problem with plugs, but thought I would put in another view.

·
Registered
300 Posts
NorCalTRD said:
the best way to patch up a tire is, take the tire off the rim pull out the object (or find the hole/slash) drill the a hole in the tire no bigger than 3/4 of an inch, get a tire plug cover it with rubber cement, pull the plug through the hole. cut the plug fulsh with the inside of the tire, grind until smoth (dont grind to the nylon) apply more rubber cement, wait until dry. then you cover with a patch, once that is done you cover the patch with a bead sealer. clip off the remaining plug outside the tred on the tire, put tire back on rim.

that is the best way that i know to have a hole or slash reparied.
Thats pretty much the American Tire way

·
Registered
104 Posts
Your patched tire will be fine. Ive used them for years, both for auto's and for quads. No problems.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
tread repairs should be good to go. sidewall repaired tires,trail use only.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts