TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the biggest tire that anyone is running with a 2.7 without regearing and how bad is your gas mileage and speed? Just wondering if it's possible to go over 33"s without regearing from stock gears.THANX. :cool:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I just installed 285/75's on my 2.7 and everything is working out great without regearing. Look in teh 4x4 Tech section, I have some of the comments there under "Thoughts after lift and tires". Overall I like this new setup.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have 33s on my 04 non-trd 2.7 5 speed. I haul around my 2 four wheelers and as long as I don't hit any long steep hills its fine. Now my gas mileage is not right, but the trip meter says I get about 220 miles to 3/4's of a tank. If you mean how far off is the speed is go here. http://www.tyres1.com/tech_calcs.html

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 2.7, currently with 31's and 3.58 gears. This combo is very driveable, but I wouldn't want to go any larger in tire size without changing the gears. I going to go to 33's in the next 1-2 months and I plan to swap gears to 4.88's.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have a 2.7L and was running 33's (Until I sold them) with my stock 4:30 gears, drove fine, I rarely used 5th gear but I still got 300 miles on a full full tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 33'' tires and 4:10 gears, works great

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, 33's wouldn't kill me if I didn't regear right away. Thanx. If anyone's running bigger, keep posting.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
SIGMAN said:
I have 33'' tires and 4:10 gears, works great
yea, with your v6 ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wondering what the chances of my running 33x12.50's with my stock 3.91 gears are. Thanks to anyone who can answer.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
NC's BeefTaco said:
What's the biggest tire that anyone is running with a 2.7 without regearing and how bad is your gas mileage and speed? Just wondering if it's possible to go over 33"s without regearing from stock gears.THANX. :cool:
It entirely depends on what stock gears you have now. If you have anything higher than 4.30s I wouldn't bother. If you have 3.58s you'll be lucky to get it down the street with 33s.
Those who say they can run the big meats with stock gears with "no problems" are full of it...or they have convinced themselves that Yugo performance is just fine. ;)

Big tires and improper gears just wears stuff out faster; clutches and ATs don't last long when the gearing is wrong...and then there's gas mileage...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hytenor said:
It entirely depends on what stock gears you have now. If you have anything higher than 4.30s I wouldn't bother. If you have 3.58s you'll be lucky to get it down the street with 33s.
Those who say they can run the big meats with stock gears with "no problems" are full of it...or they have convinced themselves that Yugo performance is just fine. ;)

Big tires and improper gears just wears stuff out faster; clutches and ATs don't last long when the gearing is wrong...and then there's gas mileage...
Hey Hytenor, I'm the guy with the 3.91's, thanx for your help on the other post about gears. So, is it possible for 33's and the 3.91's?THANX.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
NC's BeefTaco said:
Hey Hytenor, I'm the guy with the 3.91's, thanx for your help on the other post about gears. So, is it possible for 33's and the 3.91's?THANX.
I've seen it done but not with an AT, only a 5sp. the guy didn't have use of 5th gear unless he was on flat road w/o a head wind. The AT might actually get damaged with that much of a size change (28s to 33s) as it will be constantly wandering through gears trying to find one that works...but it can't cuz there ain't one.

do it right, regear.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, thanks hytenor. Say, could you give me some figures on what it would cost to regear, and what the best gears would be, and how much difference there would be in regearin for 33's and for 35's.Thanx. :confused:

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
NC's BeefTaco said:
Okay, thanks hytenor. Say, could you give me some figures on what it would cost to regear, and what the best gears would be, and how much difference there would be in regearin for 33's and for 35's.Thanx. :confused:
I think I posted prices on the other thread but figure around $300+/axle for the ring & pinion and a master install kits from PORC. labor will varry. If you can pull the rear 3rd member and take it and the parts to a reputable gear specialty shop I've seen prices from $150-300 posted here. If you just drop off your truck add another $100-200. Shop around for best labor rates but don't pick a shop just because they quote you a cheap price; make sure they know what the heck they are doing and guaranty their work. Have the rear axle seals replaced (sense the axles are pulled) at the same time for around $7. You can get your speedo pretty close by swapping speedo drive gears but you'll have to drive it with the new gears/tires to establish how far off it is first.

prices will be the same whether you go with 33s or 35s.
go with at least 4.88s for 35" tires. 4.56 or 4.88 for 33s depending on whether you do mostly hwy or off-road driving.
be prepared to start replacing steering components, including the rack, with the larger tires...part of the game. I would replace you steering rack bushings when you add the larger tires. torque them to specs, drive a few miles with plenty of tight turning and re-torque. drive another 500 miles and re-torque again. http://www.suspension.com/toyotapickups.htm $13 from these guys.

gears/install kits:
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/ ask for Alex and mention ttora

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again hytenor, your posts are very informative, I appreciate it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts