TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know this topic has been beaten to death but I still don't have a clear answer. I just got a 2003 4x4 trd tacoma. I need some new tread and I'm going with BFG AT's. Stock size on the truck is the 265/70/16 Rugged trails. The BFG At's in 265/75/16 are $50 cheaper per tire compared to the 265/70/16!!! Will the 265/75/16's fit without rubbing????? I am not planning on lifting anytime soon due to lack of cash. These tires will be mounted on a 16 x 8 steel wheel with 4.5 backspacing. I am fine with the stock size tire but I wouldn't mind beefing up and saving $200. Thanks for any input.

My second option would be to get the wheelers off road toyota steel wheels in a 15x 8 and put the 31/10.5/15's on. Much cheaper setup. Anyone have this setup????? Any personal experiences would be great. Need to get new tires this week.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Both sizes should fit. My truck came stock with the 31x10.5x15. I have the 265's on my runner and they do a little rubbing on the back of the frame under full lock but nothing too serious.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
a 265/75 should fit easy...
you may need to pound the pinchweld over
and there could be a little rub at where the mud flap mounts.
but it should be minimal effort involved.
I removed my front mudflaps to clear

the 265/75 is a slightly taller tire then the oem 265/70
just so you know

·
Registered
366 Posts
Like others said, they will fit. They might rub a tiny bit, but the rub can be easily over come.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I used to have that size and they'll rub the frame at full lock. Also the mudflap can be an issue. One ribbed off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. I still haven't made my decision yet, but it sounds like if i go with the 265/75 I can at least overcome any rubbing issues. i just don't want to buy a tire that I can't even use because it rubs when wheeling or even making a simple turn on flat ground for that matter. I did just see a 1st gen. taco with the 265/75's today! Looks nice and beefy.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I wheeled 265/75/16's fairly hard
wasn't much to get it right
you won't need put much effort to it

these 265's are mounted to IS 8" X 16" wheels (4.50" BS)

did not rub the frame @ R/L steer. lck.
removed the forward mud flaps...
replaced flare mounting screws on lower trailing edge...
with less obtrusive cone head screws and flat washers.

I didn't rub... on any of the moderate local trails nor their rock gardens

You should feel comfortable with your tire size choice.
It only gets difficult when moving to taller tires after those ;)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
265/75/16 will not rub at all.
tell that to my frame :D. 265/75 with 2.5" lift up front. clears everything except the frame at full turn either side. and im running stock 5-stars with 4.5BS with a 1/4 wheel spacer.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm sick and fucking tired of these threads. 33x12.50 will fit if you hack shit up redneck style, otherwise 33x10.50 or DRINK BLEACH! :lmao:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just noticed TacoDell responded nicely, you're fuckin' lucky... Punk! :p

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I'm sick and fucking tired of these threads. 33x12.50 will fit if you hack shit up redneck style, otherwise 33x10.50 or DRINK BLEACH! :lmao:
Yes this is a noob question. Is it annoying? YES! has it been answered 1,000,000 times before? YES...

However what is more annoying is people that comment just for the sake of commenting. No one was talking about a 33" tire to this point :confused: If your going to complain at least give some information that is useful when your done.

O.P. I ran 265 75 16's on the stock 5 star wheels for many years and all I had to do was trim the inner fender liner (no experience with the mud flaps as I removed them the week I got my truck). If you notice that people's experiences vary slightly when it comes to rubbing. This can most likely be attributed to 1.) slight variations in alignment specs and 2.) different tire makes and models will vary in size slightly. Just because it says 265 75 16 on the sidewall doesn't mean it is going to be the EXACT same size as a different brand in the same size. Some are slightly taller, some are slightly wider and others are slightly smaller. If you have a screw driver, a razor blade, and a small sledge you can make these fit without issues regardless of the variations.

I have run 265 70 16's, 265 75 16's, 31 10.50 15's, and 33 10.50 15's over the years. So I've explored a few of the larger tire size options that will fit with stock suspension geometry and not requuire cutting and welding of the fender wells. The only tires I've had that rubbed the frame were the 31 10.50 15's and that's because they were MT's and the side lugs stuck out a bit further than normal. It was still a MINIMAL rub that only occurred upon turning with compressed suspension and it never damaged anything. Just a little missing paint. (I have 15"x 8" 3.75 BS wheels by the way)

Long story short. If it's going to save you $ and you like the taller tire then go for it. As far as moving to a 15" wheel there is no reason why not to go for it as well. I've noticed a savings in tire cost between $30 and $75 per tire when compared a 15" tire option to a similar dimension tire in a 16" size. I love the tire options with 15's. The only thing I dislike is I can't do the tundra brake upgrade because the tundra brakes won't fit under a 15" wheel.

:2cents:

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Just noticed TacoDell responded nicely, you're fuckin' lucky... Punk! :p
he's not lucky... I was just bored ;)

or...

maybe numbnutz hand holding is muh new thang !? :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Lol...

just realize that it will be numb for life and dysfunctional
if you put it in muh hand.

well... that's only if I decide to let you keep it :xdevil: ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. I ended up going with the 265/70's and i couldn't be happier. Yeah I paid a little more but sometimes thats what it takes, you can't always get what you want for the price you want it. I mounted 'em on some allied 51 daytona black steelies (16x8) and they look great. maybe in the future I'll lift and do some 32's or 33's, until then.... happy wheeling!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts