TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im going to eventually need bigger tires once i get the rest of my lift on, but i cant decide if i want to go with a 33x1050x15, 33,12.50x15, 285x75 16, or a 305x70 16.

I want the 33 1050 because i will have less rubbing and it will keep the contact area down resulting is less rolling resistance. only problem is i can only get a KM2 in this size and im not to found of them. i would re gear to stock 4.10s because im only adding 2 extra inches and 2 extra pounds per tire compared to the 31" street tires that i used to have. im pushing 3.58s right now ($189 per KM2 49lbs) (roughly $1200 for wheels tires and used 4.10s)

33 1250 is a more common size and i have more tires to choose from but i would need to either trim some stuff, get a different set of wheels with the right back spacing or get a body lift. also i would need to regear to 4.88s to push these ($205 per MTR 60lbs)

the 285s are enticing because its equivalent to a 33x11 and thats a happy medium between the two choices above with the exception that i will need to buy 16" wheels and i would need to re gear to at least 4.56s ($240 per tire MTR 60lbs ) total cost for tires wheels and gears (roughly $2500 for wheels tires and gears)

305s are pretty much the same thing as the 33 1250 with the exception of being a 16 rim. Once again i would need bigger wheels with a smaller back spacing and i would need to regear to 4.88s also being a 62# tire, i run a bigger risk of going through cvs ($258 per MTR 62lbs)(roughly $2500 for wheels tires and gears)

Any input from people running these tires would be nice, I live in florida and deal with sand, mud, and clay. I dont do crazy rock crawling and i spend about 80% on the road.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You didn't mention 255 85's
i can only get that size in a KM2 and im not going to drop $400 in wheels for a tire that i dont really care for

·
20,355 Posts
Where are you looking for your selection of tires? It seems smaller than it actually is for each size.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are you looking for your selection of tires? It seems smaller than it actually is for each size.
I was using tirerack and looking at the actual diameter.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
re-gearing to 4.10s for 33" tires is a complete waste of time and $, honestly. hell, even with a 3.4 it would be nuts.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
re-gearing to 4.10s for 33" tires is a complete waste of time and $, honestly. hell, even with a 3.4 it would be nuts.
Yes I know that this is what everyone thinks and has told me but it would still be an improvement over 3.58s pushing 31s. Over the last set of tires I had the 33s would only weigh 8 extra pounds, so if I could push those I can push these. And buying used stock 4.10s would not set me back to much. Apart from the gears what is your opinion on tire sizes?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
it would still be an improvement over 3.58s pushing 31s.
Not really... only a very small increase in rpms at any given speed. It will be similar to what you have now.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Do not run the 305/70R16...it's a bastard size and can be a SOB to find in a pinch if you need a replacement. My vote is for the 285/75R16. Very common tire size to run on a Toyota. In my area you can find take-off 16" Tacoma/4Runner wheels for as low as $75 for a set of four (Craigslist). You won't "need" to re gear. Tons of people run that tire size. I suggest getting your wheels and tires on first, then drive the truck a while to see if the gears really bother you that much.

·
Registered
418 Posts
i first had 33x10.50 15 bfg ats on 15x8 bullet holes scrubbed should have used stock 15s.

Also ran 34x10.50r15 ltbs for about 6 months on stock wheels.

then i moved on to 285/75/16 baja mtzs on 4 runner limited 5 spoke wheels.. change wheels because i really liked the look fo the new wheels. and got the tires realy cheap. rubbed my uca pretty bad but liveable. scrubbed regularly on-road driving -

then i finally got a set of 255/85 km2s - didnt wnat big horns and really wanted toyo mts in taht size but couldnt really find them for a decent price. got 12k on km2s now and they are doing great i am assuming 75% tread left. Actually I am ab to go check. Hoping they last a good long while being that they are load range e

back spacing on the wheel is a really big factor in where they will rub and if they will.

305s are a odd tire for most people in my neck of the woods and they are hard to find if you are in a bind like Toy Boy said

I personally love the tall skinny tires and they are a little cheaper. I also like 15 inch wheels because they are cheaper.

And i drove a 2.7 5spd with 3.58s for 4 years with 33x10.50s it wasnt bad but now that i have my 4.56s it shows me how bad they really were.

I have never ran 33x12.50s but they are the most common size tire along with 285s and honeslty you can find them used all day long in multpile different styles. I would probably go with either of those two if you can fit them with out scrubbing because of the amount of ppl they have them.

How much lift are you running and is it C/Os or spacers. I am sure you have done the pinch weld as well correct?

And what tire do you like the most is always important

you dont have to regear but you will want to eventually.

·
Registered
556 Posts
get the 33x10.5 if you can afford it. I'm glad I didn't with ~$5 a gallon gas prices around here.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
get the 33x10.5 if you can afford it. I'm glad I didn't with ~$5 a gallon gas prices around here.
shit, you guys are up at 5?! were still in the high 3s in florida

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i first had 33x10.50 15 bfg ats on 15x8 bullet holes scrubbed should have used stock 15s.

Also ran 34x10.50r15 ltbs for about 6 months on stock wheels.

then i moved on to 285/75/16 baja mtzs on 4 runner limited 5 spoke wheels.. change wheels because i really liked the look fo the new wheels. and got the tires realy cheap. rubbed my uca pretty bad but liveable. scrubbed regularly on-road driving -

then i finally got a set of 255/85 km2s - didnt wnat big horns and really wanted toyo mts in taht size but couldnt really find them for a decent price. got 12k on km2s now and they are doing great i am assuming 75% tread left. Actually I am ab to go check. Hoping they last a good long while being that they are load range e

back spacing on the wheel is a really big factor in where they will rub and if they will.

305s are a odd tire for most people in my neck of the woods and they are hard to find if you are in a bind like Toy Boy said

I personally love the tall skinny tires and they are a little cheaper. I also like 15 inch wheels because they are cheaper.

And i drove a 2.7 5spd with 3.58s for 4 years with 33x10.50s it wasnt bad but now that i have my 4.56s it shows me how bad they really were.

I have never ran 33x12.50s but they are the most common size tire along with 285s and honeslty you can find them used all day long in multpile different styles. I would probably go with either of those two if you can fit them with out scrubbing because of the amount of ppl they have them.

How much lift are you running and is it C/Os or spacers. I am sure you have done the pinch weld as well correct?

And what tire do you like the most is always important

you dont have to regear but you will want to eventually.
yeah if i do go with 33 1050 i wont worry about regearing right away but if i go bigger than that i would be regearing first. Im running saw 2.0s and i have not done the pinch weld yet because im still running 31s but if gas prices keep going up im not going to be able to afford to run larger tires. and it figures that the tire i like most doesnt come in a 33 1050 Goodyear MTR Kevlar

·
Registered
418 Posts
answer to high gas prices is an alternate vehicle. The next mod to my truck is going to be a 4 cyl corolla wagon hopefully for about 2k or less. Gay but I am sure I can double my mileage. Guess i ll have to add a couple of tool boxes, a dog box and some dumbass stickers to make it more manly.

Any of you guys have a cheap car that is your DD

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
shit, you guys are up at 5?! were still in the high 3s in florida
going up about .25 every 2days around here. We'll be well over $5/gal by early summer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts