TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not talking about the swing out tire carriers most people make but more the prerunner style like this:

i'm designing mine to be removable so i can remount my tailgate if needed.

i've searched all i can and have a good amount of pics, but i'm wanting more.
so, if you've got pics of a tire gate, throw them up here for me?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
How would you incorporate something like that...
with the tailgate on ?

It would either have to hang out the back real far...
or the spare tire would need to be mounted near vertical :confused:

and then...
I'd think it would end up being more like that of a common swing out gate ?

·
Registered
260 Posts
If I was to build one it would be like sar squid has. I agree with you about not being able to haul stuff with the tiregate on. I bird hunt a lot in the fall and winter so I'd definietly need a tailgate for hauling the decoys and stuff. An idea thats been fooating around in my head would be to have some heavy gauge mesh welded to it to close the holes. Iirc addicted offroad had a pretty slick set up too, but it was only for the newer tacoma body style. If one were made in sort of a highbreed between that and sar squid with the mesh incorporated I think it would be pretty slick. Welding in sheet metal I'd be afraid of acting like a big sail effecting fuel economy and power.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so here's my progress. i wasn't originally going to make it swing out, but the more i think about it, the more i want it too. so from what i've seen and read most people are just buying spindles and using those or what? went to tractor supply today hoping to score something but this was about all i could find that could possibly work
http://www.tractorsupply.com/carry-on-trailer-spindle-kit-1-3-8-in--0175203
along with the bearings that were for it. all together for a total of about $30 and since i need two that would be $60. anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
changed up the design a little bit.
so for the time being it isn't going to be swingout and i'm okay with that. i'm traveling so much for work i don't need to be hauling stuff in the bed anyways. when i figure out the spindle deal then i'll take some time and make it swingout.
i don't be doing any desert running so stock locations should be plenty strong for holding on a tire.

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
Impressive design....I like how you have the support frames have a similar bend as the bed walls of your truck.

My thought on the spindle, the single large one that bolts thru the center hub and into a welded nut on the carrier.
That way you can install or slide the tire off the carrier easier.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks! i'll have to show pics of what i did to hold down the tire, but when i was saying spindle i was talking about the swingout bearings on the side that i opted out of - that will be added in the future.

so far i have 2 issues:

i don't like how high up the tire is. i wanted to be able to see out the back more than what i can. i may be able to knock the lower bar off before i weld it all up today and angle it down a little but if i do that then part of the tire will still be higher than it is now. think i'll just suck it up and deal with it. when i design my camera system for my truckpc it will fix that issue anyways.

and my rear kragens are now being blocked quite a bit. i'll find out exactly how much light i'm losing tonight, but i may end up mounting them back on the tiregate

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
now, i'm only using a 110v 100amp Lincoln welder i know it's way underpowered but it works. some of the welds look crappy but i know they will hold. i can't weld around the tube, like i have to do small sections or it seems the gun is all over the place. idk i guess i'll get better in time. but it's finished. the paint has glitter in it that make it match the truck.. haha that sounds so gay.

these are the world welds. no matter how low i set the amps, it still burned through the tubing.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Please, please do not expect that to hold a 33" tire :eek::eek:
get a plate welded under that thing that is attached via as much surface area as possible to the supporting tubes!
Those tiny welds won't hold for a trip around the block.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Highly doubt it. The tube will rip at the weld.

You need more surface area to weld with. Gussets and a plate to better distribute the load

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I seriously want to get a tire mount for my bed. I'm regretting the day I actually get a flat and have to low my spare. It hasn't been done in a long time. Maybe next weekend I will get it off there just to make sure it can still be done.
haha i broke something on mine while removing it. i don't remember what though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts