TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man any one know a tire shop that will balance chunked tires? No wire showing, just chunked pretty bad. Discount will never balance my tires because they are chunked. Should I just head to the south side and get it done no papers or what.

·
Registered
718 Posts
i would imagine that it would be a pain in the ass to balance tires that have been torn up. also if your tires have chunks missing then what would be the point to balance them? your not going to notice any difference in the way they ride.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I seem to chunk tires bad for some reason, don't know why. But I balance my tires once every couple thousand miles after a few more chunks are taken out each time and it ALWAYS helps. They usually can't get them perfect, but it always comes out better than it was. Definitely worth $24.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Go buy some shotgun shot no 9 size, a small funnel, some clear tubing that'll fit snug over your valve stem, then go here and go to the the link for tire chart and put in the recommended amount in weight of shotgun shot and don't worry about balancing at a shop anymore.
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
that's what u get for buying shit tires - :p

seth_js said:
Man any one know a tire shop that will balance chunked tires? No wire showing, just chunked pretty bad. Discount will never balance my tires because they are chunked. Should I just head to the south side and get it done no papers or what.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Captkirkyota said:
Go buy some shotgun shot no 9 size, a small funnel, some clear tubing that'll fit snug over your valve stem, then go here and go to the the link for tire chart and put in the recommended amount in weight of shotgun shot and don't worry about balancing at a shop anymore.
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/
I think thats what I am going to do. Will the shotgun beads rust and stick together?

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
seth_js said:
I think thats what I am going to do. Will the shotgun beads rust and stick together?

...or cause wear inside the tires leading to other issues? I have heard both are reasons as to why this isn't done by more people.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I have not had any rust, as mentioned, lead. No tire wear on the inside of radials, only tiny bits of "dust" mixed with the shot after about 16k on my first tires. Had more "dust" by volume as a result of wearing down the inside on my bias ply sx's though, the bias ply and lead shot are a definite no go. But as far as the radials went, there was barely any inside wear at all, just a minor dusting, enough to get your hands a bit dirty and not much more.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Westy said:
I used some .25g air soft pellets. No rust and not as harsh on the inside of the tire as lead or stainless bb's. You can also look into dynabeads, I believe they fit through the valve stem.

As said, you do have to pop the beads or unmount beadlocks -

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-CENT-1000-0-2...emZ150101130055QQcategoryZ31682QQcmdZViewItem
Wow! :eek: .25 grams! That is equal to 0.0088184905 oz. So in order to get 11 oz of those in for a 37, uuuuuh I think since after 16,000 miles I barley had any dust in the tire, I'll stick with a bag of shot for 22 bucks at the gun store and that bag doing the next 5 sets of tires.
Unless I'm not reading the G on the package correctly, I don't think I could fit enough of that stuff in there for it to work, much less spread out and move to the area of the tire it needs to go to counter act the out of balance spot. Am I mistaken? :confused:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet, thanks for the info guys. Where can I get the air soft pellets? And what about the lead shots? Will walmart have the lead shots or do I have to go to a gun store?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
seth_js said:
Sweet, thanks for the info guys. Where can I get the air soft pellets? And what about the lead shots? Will walmart have the lead shots or do I have to go to a gun store?
Walmart should have 20 lb bags of shot.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yes, in order to get 11oz you put roughly 1250 bb's in each tire. I used these for my 37" bias plys and it works very well.

That 5000ct package I got is about the size of a mousepad and about 1.5" thick roughly. There is plenty of room to fit these...when I measured I had them in a 'red cup' for each tire; they filled about 1/3 cup. If you go this route, make sure to get the seamless bb's.

They work the same as your metal bb's or the dynabeads from Innovative. Same concept...just more bb's/tire. I figured the plastic bb's would have less impact on the tire but from your experience that is good to know the metal bb's hold up well. I suppose there are advantages to both the metal and plastic bb's, but in the end they will both accomplish the same thing.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=30494.0

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Westy said:
I used some .25g air soft pellets. No rust and not as harsh on the inside of the tire as lead or stainless bb's. You can also look into dynabeads, I believe they fit through the valve stem.

As said, you do have to pop the beads or unmount beadlocks -

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-CENT-1000-0-2...emZ150101130055QQcategoryZ31682QQcmdZViewItem
Unless that is .25 grams per pellet, which would make one package of 1000 about 8.8 oz, if that is the case, that is not a bad way to go either. 1.5 packs per tire and your good.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Captkirkyota said:
Unless that is .25 grams per pellet, which would make one package of 1000 about 8.8 oz, if that is the case, that is not a bad way to go either. 1.5 packs per tire and your good.
Yeah, .25g per pellet. Correct. Its still ALOT of pellets, and a pain to measure without a good scale. I just used some measuring cups and it was plenty accurate enough.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Heatstroke said:
...or cause wear inside the tires leading to other issues? I have heard both are reasons as to why this isn't done by more people.
I've ran the bbs / lead shot (switched over to the lead shot about a year ago) for close to three years now. Not once have I ever seen any indication of wear 'n tear on the inside of my tires. No dust, no rust, no nothing.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
gambrinus said:
I've ran the bbs / lead shot (switched over to the lead shot about a year ago) for close to three years now. Not once have I ever seen any indication of wear 'n tear on the inside of my tires. No dust, no rust, no nothing.
If it works, great. Heard from a tire guy that it's not something they'd recommend. Not all people have the same results which is where I'm sure they are basing their statement from. Until I have to balance mine I need not worry about it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fuck, where the hell did you guys get your lead shot? I went to Walmart (chapparal and pima), bear arms (scottsdale and shea), scottsdale gun club (101 and raintree) and walmart (101 and raintree). The walmarts had bb's, but they were zinc and i dind't know if that would work.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts