TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I still have quite a bit of life in my tires, but they are a pretty mild A/T and when they wear out, I'm looking for something more aggressive. I want to stay with a tall/skinny for now as I want to minimize/eliminate any need for lift. MTR's are not available in any of these sizes. I'm currently considering the 255/85-16 Trxus M/T as I have heard they are very quiet on the road and have sufficient siping for winter here. Looking for reports for on and offroad performance, wear, noise, etc.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I got the BFG MT's and road noise is not a problem. I pinched one against a rim at Bangs Canyon over a month ago. The rim was dinged and the sidewall separated about 1mm deep in a wedge. No penetration and have been running it since on highway to and from Bangs again and Moab for three days.

As for snow... hard flat faced lugs... not so snow friendly, but I'm guessing that's part of the trade off for durability... Hence snow tires :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
As Fjcruzer mentioned about the TrXus tires, talk to Stagecoachco about 'em. He's running them currently...I had regards about going with BFG A/T K/O's 285/70/17's when I changed the shoes on my FJ, but aired down to 20 PSI, I've yet to find something they couldn't tackle....Erm that is besides mud! :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
yea - most of of the 255/85's I've seen are the BFG MT's, and a couple of Maxxis Bighorns. I've never run either of them, but I've seen great reviews. But as you know, tire opinions can be all over the map....

One of the Expeditions West Tacomas is running Bighorns, and he gave good reviews of them on and off road.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I got the BFG MT's and road noise is not a problem. I pinched one against a rim at Bangs Canyon over a month ago. The rim was dinged and the sidewall separated about 1mm deep in a wedge. No penetration and have been running it since on highway to and from Bangs again and Moab for three days.

As for snow... hard flat faced lugs... not so snow friendly, but I'm guessing that's part of the trade off for durability... Hence snow tires :D
All right, folks, I'm going to really go against the grain here. I think automatically airing down to 10 to 20 psi as soon as you go off road is BOGUS. You heard me. Airing down subjects your tires to the kind of damage you are talking about in addition to sidewall tears. I have actually aired UP LT tires such as BFG MT's to 40 or 50 psi just to avoid this kind of damage. I figure that if I fail to get over a particular problem because of traction, I'll can always air down for that situation. For the rest of the time, why ask for trouble?

As for snow, I have always found MT's to be great in deep snow and slush. It's ice where they do not excel. It's not that they are bad, they just don't excel.

Speaking of tires, what have ya'll heard about Coopers?

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Interesting take Hawk...

I would say for some of the trails we run in c-rado that is pretty true. However many of the trails I run in Tippy will be shorter but a LOT of obstacles. But Troy runs his at a pretty high PSI because his sidewalls aren't the greatest and he does awesome... so you do have a point!

·
Registered
123 Posts

I had BFG MTs on my 73 bronco. Awesome tires for off road, 3 ply sidewall, very puncture resistant.

As far as the comment on snow performance; simple. get them siped. it is a night and day difference. I have ran them both ways, and trust me, if you get the inner tread siped (leave the outside lugs intact to minimize chunking out the lugs), you will be very happy with this combination.

FWIW

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had BFG MTs on my 73 bronco. Awesome tires for off road, 3 ply sidewall, very puncture resistant.

As far as the comment on snow performance; simple. get them siped. it is a night and day difference. I have ran them both ways, and trust me, if you get the inner tread siped (leave the outside lugs intact to minimize chunking out the lugs), you will be very happy with this combination.

FWIW
I agree. About 80% of why I'm a BFG fan is the puncture and tear resistent sidewalls.

Wow, that siping is a thought. I am pretty sure that one of my old sets I had siped and it seemed to help (although I'm a little fuzzy on that). I didn't realize you could just do one side. That's interesting. It might not work for me though because I cross rotate my tires, which may get us into another whole subject.

So what about Coopers? Anybody heard anything?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hawk,
when g34rh34d said inside I belive he means sipe the inside two treads and leave the outsid two treads alone (33x10.5 have four treads). This would mean that whatever way you rotate the tires would be fine.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah - maybe CENTER is a better description than inside.

Goodyear MTR's. What it seems EVERYONE is running ...

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Saw lots of MTR's in Moab, and the new Toyo MT looks gnarly and were on two of our rigs there, but it looks like they are all sized BIG...

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Toyo-Open-Country.htm

There has been a little discussion about the Cooper STT's in the blue room and they look like a nice compromise: lugged with a little siping.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/wheels-tires/22672-any-feedback-cooper-disovererer-stts.html?highlight=cooper+stt

As far as airing down goes, I never aired down until recently and there were very few places I couldn't go. However, now that I've been doing some crawling and working obstacles as much as just wheeling, airing down has made a huge difference, especially on the slickrock.

·
Registered
291 Posts
As far as airing down goes, I never aired down until recently and there were very few places I couldn't go. However, now that I've been doing some crawling and working obstacles as much as just wheeling, airing down has made a huge difference, especially on the slickrock.
I agree. Slickrock or sand are the obvious cases where it makes sense. I have just noticed a tendency for some to automatically air down to very low pressure as soon as they leave the pavement. I think it's good to keep in mind that, in many situations, air pressure is your tires only defense. I am just saying air down if you have to; but if you don't, keep some pressure in your tires unless you really enjoy buying tires.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hawk,
when g34rh34d said inside I belive he means sipe the inside two treads and leave the outsid two treads alone (33x10.5 have four treads). This would mean that whatever way you rotate the tires would be fine.
Yeah - maybe CENTER is a better description than inside.
Center. Oh yeah - you mean outside of the tire - not outside of the truck. Got it. I still had no idea you could do that. Cool!

Remember that white paper on Expeditions West? I think he was saying that traction on an uneven surface such as rock was better if you had more edges. Maybe siping improves traction for crawling as well as on ice.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I found the Cooper Discoverer STTs to be incredible on trails.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I don't think they would be that great all-around and in the summer heat, you could probably watch them wear out before your eyes!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sorry Troy, I thought you were totally jerkin' my chain about the Blizzacks. Yes, it would be an interesting experiment. And I can imagine a set in Moab about July. It might be like having tires made of chocolate.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks Drifter,
I have a local tire dealer I like and since he is a Cooper dealer he can't buy the BFG's at competitive prices. I have liked a couple of sets of Cooper all weather type LT tires I have owned but haven't wheeled with them. I was wondering if I should take a risk on the SST's. I guess I'm mainly concerned about whether the sidewalls are as tough.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts