TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my toytec 3" lift now. I don't want to install it till I get bigger tires too. I am trying to figure out what to order and I was leaning towards the SAM-97R 265/80R16 (32.2x10.5) Super Swamper TSL Radial. But, I figured they would wear out too quick and most likely suck on the road, so I thought about swamping them out with my 265/70R16 BFG A/T's when ever I go off road.

Then I started thinking that I would probably get sick of that and should just go with something "middle of the road" so I am thinking of getting 15" wheels and some 33x10.50 (actually 32.8x10.50) BFG M/T's and just drive it every day like that. Going with the 33x10.50R15 BGF M/T route is the cheapest because I can sell the BFG A/T's. Technically for the same price though, I can get the Super Swamper TSL radials, but I would have to drive them everyday (60 miles round trip to work everyday). I have never owned the BFG M/T's or the Super Swamper TSL Radials, so can anyone throw in their opinion here??? Also I should not have a problem with rubbing with 33x10.50's with a 3" lift right? What if I beat the pinch weld in, in the wheel well??

Thank you in advance for your advice!!!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
TSLs on a daily driver? - Bad idea
BFG M/Ts on a daily driver? - GOOD idea
yeah.. swampers on a DD is not a good idea.. the rubber is too soft and will disappear quickly.. i have BFG mt on my truck.. i have over 25k on em and they are still goin strong with the exception of getting eaten by the rocks :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought you were going to get SAW's?
Thats what I was planning, but he found another buyer before I got those spacers... I am just going to install the spacers for now since I have them. I might swap to OME 882's later on if the ride from the spacers bother me.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
go with the BFG MT's. I have 55,000 miles on my set and two of them are brand new, one is about 75% tread and the other is about 60%. Gotta love that discount tire warranty :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get out your hammer!
Actually I just realized today, that there is a good chance I will be getting a 2" Roger Brown body lift too. So I will have the 3" toytec lift plus another 2" of body lift. I should be able to clear 33's with ease. Hell I might still beat the sh!t out of the pinch weld and put some 255/85R16 (33.3x10) on the Taco (thanks to Pink Taco for the link that gave me the idea!!) . I could keep my stock rims that way too.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
BFG's last nearly forever if proper pressure is maintained and rotation is done. A/T's on my DD, and pre-KM M/T's on the trail rig. Back in the day, I used to swap 38x12.50 bias-ply Swampers, and 33x12.50 M/T radials on the gray truck; it was a real PITA rolling them big tires up to a third floor apartment, but the M/T's were PIW in the LA mud [eeeek!].

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
I had PRoComp's Muds and they lasted about 43K miles. The Muds were good driving and handling tires. I would recommend them for DD. I plan to get a second set of tires and wheels for wheeling dedication, later on. But until then I went back to ATs just this year - so I can get better mpgs and save for my suspension system.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had PRoComp's Muds and they lasted about 43K miles. The Muds were good driving and handling tires. I would recommend them for DD. I plan to get a second set of tires and wheels for wheeling dedication, later on. But until then I went back to ATs just this year - so I can get better mpgs and save for my suspension system.
Procomps don't look as aggressive to me. Plus I have heard some (not a lot) negative feedback about ProComps. I have never really heard anything bad about BFG's. Unless it was someone who runs Super Swampers talking crap about them... but Super Swampers are not practical on a DD.

Do ProComps have the same ply rating as BFG's? Arn't ProComps a little more expensive too?

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Procomps don't look as aggressive to me. Plus I have heard some (not a lot) negative feedback about ProComps. I have never really heard anything bad about BFG's. Unless it was someone who runs Super Swampers talking crap about them... but Super Swampers are not practical on a DD.

Do ProComps have the same ply rating as BFG's? Arn't ProComps a little more expensive too?
your forgetting one big thing. bigger tires mean u must regear to keep your mpg somewhat the same. yes i never regeared but im also a bit insane :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
your forgetting one big thing. bigger tires mean u must regear to keep your mpg somewhat the same. yes i never regeared but im also a bit insane :)
Going from a 30.7" tire to a 33.3" tire (only 2.6" bigger) will require a gear change with a V6, 5 speed and 4.10's?

If you read the article to the link that Pink Taco posted it says "27lb. increase per tire and wheel over stock. Unsprung weight increased by 108lbs."

They are also using aftermarket steel wheels which I am sure added to some of the increased weight. That little of amount of added weight doesn't seem like it will effect the MPG that much (especially on a V6, 5 spd)... a 2 mpg drop wont bother me.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Going from a 30.7" tire to a 33.3" tire (only 2.6" bigger) will require a gear change with a V6, 5 speed and 4.10's?

If you read the article to the link that Pink Taco posted it says "27lb. increase per tire and wheel over stock. Unsprung weight increased by 108lbs."

They are also using aftermarket steel wheels which I am sure added to some of the increased weight. That little of amount of added weight doesn't seem like it will effect the MPG that much (especially on a V6, 5 spd)... a 2 mpg drop wont bother me.
nevermind your god and you know everything :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nevermind your god and you know everything :)
Once again... I did not say I knew anything... I asked. You could have simply answered the question with a brief explanation of consequences or effects but I guess being a smart a$$ was the easier route.

I work on vehicles all day long at a dealership as a technician, when one of the head tech's tells me I need to do something... he does not say "JUST BECAUSE"... he explains why this needs to be done. So that way you LEARN something and know why not to do it, plus later you can pass the knowledge on to someone else. Sarcasm does not help. If you don't want to answer the question, then simply don't reply on my topics...

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Once again... I did not say I knew anything... I asked. You could have simply answered the question with a brief explanation of consequences or effects but I guess being a smart a$$ was the easier route.

I work on vehicles all day long at a dealership as a technician, when one of the head tech's tells me I need to do something... he does not say "JUST BECAUSE"... he explains why this needs to be done. So that way you LEARN something and know why not to do it, plus later you can pass the knowledge on to someone else. Sarcasm does not help. If you don't want to answer the question, then simply don't reply on my topics...
now u understand how offtopic shit pisses me off , remember that when posting shit in my threads.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
now u understand how offtopic shit pisses me off , remember that when posting shit in my threads.
I was not trying to step on your toes... not everyone knows as much as you about Tacomas and off roading. You learn by asking questions. But its cool, I won't ask questions in your threads anymore...

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I was not trying to step on your toes... not everyone knows as much as you about Tacomas and off roading. You learn by asking questions. But its cool, I won't ask questions in your threads anymore...
questions regarding what the topic is about is fine dude. just keep them on topic

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts

when it comes to larger tires you will lose power if you do not regear, as well as losing MPG (some MPG lose is due to the speedometer/odometer being off). Since larger tires spin slower than smaller tires you're odometer and speedometer will be off as well.

some quick math for ya.

old tire size/new tire size = X
X*new gear ratio = effective gear ratio

with this equation you'll be able to determine how close to stock you are with the new tires and new gears
for instance you have 31's now and want to go to 33's

31/33 = .939393
.939393 x 4.56 (new gears) = 4.28

this is just a little lower than stock. :)

lets say you decided to run 4.30 gears, (.939393 x 4.30) gives you a 4.039 gear ratio, so just a tad higher than stock. :(

hopefully that helps.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts