TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about ready to get new tires for my 97 Tacoma 4WD. I am currently running 31X10.5X15 BFG All Terrains on the stock 7" wide wheels. I really like them and these are my second set. I haven't had any issues with either set and they do well on the street, either dry or wet, dirt, sand and snow. But, just wondering what you guys are running and what do you recommend or are the BFGs good to stay with? My truck is a DD and I use it on trails, dunes and the snow. Not planning on any rock crawling.

I have been looking into the Cooper AT3, Cooper ST and Dick Cepek Fun Country. Really liking the idea of the cooper ST and DC Fun Country since it's in between an AT and MT, but haven't found much info about them.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I've found Wrangler MTRs are hard to beat for a street/trail tire. They work well both on and off road well while they balance well, wear well and have decent cut resistance.
To be honest I haven't run their new desgin MTRs but will be giving a new set a try very soon. I can only hope I like them as much as I did the old MTRs. I understand the new one's tend to run a bit larger than the old ones did.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Depends where you live, if you're out west the BFGs seem to be great for the dezert, snow, street. The farther east though and we get more mud, and those aren't so hot in the mud. I'm on Yokohama Geolandar ATs and they have been killer. I have nearly 60,000 miles on them, they are going to dry rot before the tread is gone. They are really more of a desert tire too, but have done very well at everything I have thrown at them. I am looking into Duratracs for my next set, but we don't have the rocks here like they do out west and I hear the sidewalls on those aren't so great in the rocks.

If I lived out west I'd probably lean toward BFG ATs, Toyo ATs, Falken Wild Peaks, something like that, good AT tread with tough sidewalls.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depends where you live, if you're out west the BFGs seem to be great for the dezert, snow, street. The farther east though and we get more mud, and those aren't so hot in the mud. I'm on Yokohama Geolandar ATs and they have been killer. I have nearly 60,000 miles on them, they are going to dry rot before the tread is gone. They are really more of a desert tire too, but have done very well at everything I have thrown at them. I am looking into Duratracs for my next set, but we don't have the rocks here like they do out west and I hear the sidewalls on those aren't so great in the rocks.

If I lived out west I'd probably lean toward BFG ATs, Toyo ATs, Falken Wild Peaks, something like that, good AT tread with tough sidewalls.
I'm out west. But, maybe relocating to the mid-west in the near future.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1 on BFG all terrain's. On my second set too. They are a solid mixed use tire.
Just curious, I was told and also read fhe same in some reviews of people who have used the BFG ATs that fhey started getting hard and lost some of their performance halfway through their life, which is something I have not experienced in either of my sets. Have you experienced it?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am about ready to get new tires for my 97 Tacoma 4WD. I am currently running 31X10.5X15 BFG All Terrains on the stock 7" wide wheels. I really like them and these are my second set. I haven't had any issues with either set and they do well on the street, either dry or wet, dirt, sand and snow. But, just wondering what you guys are running and what do you recommend or are the BFGs good to stay with? My truck is a DD and I use it on trails, dunes and the snow. Not planning on any rock crawling.
Actually, AT's are better on rocks than MT's. More rubber making contact with the surface of the rocks. MT's are better in mud (of course), sand, and soft snow.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, AT's are better on rocks than MT's. More rubber making contact with the surface of the rocks. MT's are better in mud (of course), sand, and soft snow.
Actually, I have heard that ATs are better in sand than MTs, because ATs float better on top and MTs dig into the sand, because of their more aggressive tread. Was i told wrong?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Actually, I have heard that ATs are better in sand than MTs, because ATs float better on top and MTs dig into the sand, because of their more aggressive tread. Was i told wrong?
You were probably told right, from someone with more experience than me.

It just made sense to me that MT's would be better because of throwing more sand when the tires spin. I've seen photos of dune buggies with real aggressive tractor-like tires. AT's would 'float' better.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Yeah for the most part ATs are better on sand than MTs. On sand you want flotation, you want momentum and to stay on plane on top of the sand. MTs dig. And a lot of times ATs are better overall in the snow. A lot of the MTs don't have much or any siping and on packed snow they are crappy. But in deep soft snow MTs work well, as it is similar to mud.

·
Registered
261 Posts
No hardening that I noticed. Tires were fine, though from lack of tread depth affected dirt/mud/snow driving. As we all know, rubber inherently gets hard with time from sun exposure. But not significantly in the 6 years I had them. My new ones have about 1.25 years. Probably 6-8k on them. Have two cars now, so more life. Woo!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No hardening that I noticed. Tires were fine, though from lack of tread depth affected dirt/mud/snow driving. As we all know, rubber inherently gets hard with time from sun exposure. But not significantly in the 6 years I had them. My new ones have about 1.25 years. Probably 6-8k on them. Have two cars now, so more life. Woo!
The same with mine. Only thing that i noticed with rhe set i am on is that i have gotten 10,000 miles less on them.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I actually noticed that too. I got my Tacoma in 04, had a Toy Pickup 4wd on 31" mud tires. On the truck the fronts wore faster, on my Tacoma the rears do. I attributed it to more power, I think thats probably not a bad guess. Either that or I do less turning than I use to.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I'm putting a set of the Cooper AT3s on my 01 double cab this weekend. The Cooper MTs are oversized and since the truck is being used a bit more for commuting, I feel the AT3s will handle both jobs rather well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts