TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 Tacoma 4d 4wd and I have put a 1.5 inch leveling kit on the front. I put 285/75 r16's BFG A/T's on it and the front tires are only about 1/4 away from the A Arm. I can only turn it about 1/2 way when backing up and they rub against the A arm. I was thinking about putting billet wheel spacers on the truck but didn't know what size to get. I thought maybe 1" would do it but I do not know if I would have to cut the fenders. Any suggestions would be a great help before I step and do something wrong.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
808 Posts
Spacers are a cheap way to do it...the proper way would be to get new rims with more offset. I'm not sure on 05's but up to '04 you will rub quite a bit with 285's and only 1.5" lift.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
A) Lift it more
B) trim
C) get smaller tires
D) try a different BS

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
I put wheel spacers on my wife's truck after getting 285's and it works great. No rub on the A arm, and none on the frame. Cheap and easy..

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I would say spacer, and then if you can later upgrade wheels. More lift will not help the a-arm rub, and only make you think you can run larger tires. The additional lift will not make any more room than you had stock. I am going to spacer my 07 with 1.25" or 1.5" spacers so I can fit chains.

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Did you have to trim the front fenders at all?
I trimmed the inside of the fender flare. Nothing on the outside. I went to the back of them about 6 inches up and cut diagonal towards the outside. To about 1 inch from the outside. Pretty easy to cut them with a razor knife.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Where can I buy spacers for my 06 tacoma? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just got off the phone with Carrolls tire warehouse and they carry the spacer. It's like $9 a peice.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I just got off the phone with Carrolls tire warehouse and they carry the spacer. It's like $9 a peice.
What width? You need to run a spacer that has secondary lugs built in, so 1.25" or 1.5" is the smallest and they are certainly not $9....

·
Registered
320 Posts
Screw the spacer, it shakes at high speed. I finally got pro comp wheels 1079 17X9 for my truck. Little rubbin in the inside but u can fix that. I love it....

·
Registered
808 Posts
Adapter = good
Spacer = bad

What marlin is selling is an adapter where you bolt on using your existing studs. A wheel spacer is a thin piece of metal that you put between your wheel and your hub. They are bad. You get fewer threads with your lug nuts and your wheel doesn't center properly on the hub. All your weight then rests on your studs. Keep in mind, if you are pushing your wheels out an extra inch along with the added weight of larger tires you are putting more stress on your ball joints. I would put the money into the correct wheels instead of adapters.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Adapter = good
Spacer = bad

What marlin is selling is an adapter where you bolt on using your existing studs. A wheel spacer is a thin piece of metal that you put between your wheel and your hub. They are bad. You get fewer threads with your lug nuts and your wheel doesn't center properly on the hub. All your weight then rests on your studs. Keep in mind, if you are pushing your wheels out an extra inch along with the added weight of larger tires you are putting more stress on your ball joints. I would put the money into the correct wheels instead of adapters.
Yep.. except the stress from spacers in no different than wheels with different backspacing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hack it

I have an 07 Tacoma 4d 4wd and I have put a 1.5 inch leveling kit on the front. I put 285/75 r16's BFG A/T's on it and the front tires are only about 1/4 away from the A Arm. I can only turn it about 1/2 way when backing up and they rub against the A arm. I was thinking about putting billet wheel spacers on the truck but didn't know what size to get. I thought maybe 1" would do it but I do not know if I would have to cut the fenders. Any suggestions would be a great help before I step and do something wrong.

Thanks,

Mike

:saw: :saw: :saw: :saw: :saw: :saw:

Sorry man I couldn't resist

·
Registered
55 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts