TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well currently im running some 33 bfg muds, and while i havent had much problems with them, i know when i go big, theres much better options.

My goal within the next year is to SAS, lock, and regear.

Ill most likely be going with a 35-37'' tire, and was thinking of tsl sx's in a 36, mt/r's in a 37x12.5/35x12.5, or anything with a strong sidewall for the rocks.

what would you reccomend for something that will most likely still be my dd?

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
Depends on what kind of ride you like while using it as a dd. The SX's and Creepy Crawlers are probably the best offroad but the general opinion is that both ride like ass on the street. Quite a few guys like the Irok's, BFG's and the MTR's, but in comparison to the others they have a weaker sidewall and have been known to get cut more often. Being a dd you'll probably spend more time on the road with your ride, so I'd choose one of the later 3. If you do minimal milage as a dd, the Creepy's are amazing offroad and the SX's are right behind thend them.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i have a set of the toyo mts and love em, i have heard good things about the creep crawlers, also what about the bfg krawlers 4 ply side wall. toyo mts are good tires i love mine so far

·
Registered
572 Posts
If it's a daily driver, stick with a radial.

IMO:

Here's my take on the 2 most popular radial OHV tires. The rest aren't worth consideration, or haven't been proven to me as good tires. Oh yeah, avoid anything from BigO like the plague.

The current BFG M/T KO's suck. The thin sidewall cuts easy, and a hard compound leads to tread chunking. Had 35/12.5-15's last less than 8,000 miles under hard use, and that included two new replacement tires. The rear spool killed'm...

GoodYear MT/R is perhaps the best dry traction tire radial ever build for street use. If rotated properly they will go 25,000 to 35,000 miles on a mostly street driven rig. For AZ trails they offer good traction, and if it does get muddy or you are in snow they'll work OK as long as tire pressure is very low (4 to 6 PSI). I'm currently on my fifth set of MT/R's - 2 sets on the old '87 Toy trail rig, one on the '05 Taco, and a two on my '98 Taco. The two sets on the trail rig went thru hell, yet still performed flawlessly. We got 33K on the set on the '05, and I've sold a set of 31" with 10K and replaced them with a set of 32" on the '98. Not a single flat on 20 tires.

I'll be interested to see how the new mini Krawler M/T tire hold up, but so far they are only available in mall crawler sizes...what'z up with that???

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I was happy with my 35" MTR's when I was running them. I did cut a few though. It got to the point where Discount Tire started questioning my returns. So, I am getting all my tires through 4Wheel Parts now. They did well aired down, but when they wadded up on a sharp rock they went "Hisssssssssss". Other than that, they were nice on the road and served me well.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
i like my MTR's, not the stickiest tire, but I dodn't have to replace them every year either. prolly saved alot of broken axles by spinning them and not hookin up.

cut one on C/D II this w/e though so if anyone has a 37/15, i'm shoppin.

not sure if i'll go to something else next time i buy 4 new?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I actually think my Creepy Crawlers ride nice down the road. Smooth as fast as I've taken them(60mph) and they have no balancing at all. The first mile is a little unbalanced, but after that they are just like every other tire I've ran. Don't know about long term DD tire wear on them though.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Just goes to show that everyone has a different experience with tires - not one opinion is better than another - it really boils down to personal preference.
Or personal experience. Everyone dogs on CC's on the road, but it's all because somebody's cousin's brother's wife's sister twice removed read on the VJC that someone with a Rubican't got them and said it sucks to drive it to the mall. Honestly, not that many people run them, so unless it's straight from someone who runs them(with any tire opinion), I wouldn't take it for much. I wheel with guys who run MTRs, Iroks, TSLs, sipped TSLs, SXs, sipped SX's, Creepys, Krawlers, TrXus M/T's. They all have their own little pluses and minuses. But with the abuse these tires take on these rigs and the trails that are run, the amount of destroyed tires is not much at all. Hell, 2 weeks ago the only tire I saw destroyed(not usable anymore) in a couple dozen or so rigs running was a Krawler, go figure.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
If the vehicle never saw the street, id have to go with the krawlers or the maxxis sticky's. after last weekend im totally sold on them if all you were going to do is rocks.

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
Well, I'm going to go against the grain on this one.........For a good DD/weekend wheeler tire I'd recommend Interco Truxs MT's......In my search for the un-obtainium radial tire, the Truxs were the best compromise of both as they run quiet and smooth on the highway, perform well offroad and have a durable sidewall. Just FYI, I have run MTR's, Irok's, Pro Comp Xterians (horrible tire) and BFG Mud Terrains and none of them hold a candle to the Truxs MT's..........that being said, I'm going back to a rough riding Bias now so I don't have to carry a spare! :D

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Well, I'm going to go against the grain on this one.........For a good DD/weekend wheeler tire I'd recommend Interco Truxs MT's......In my search for the un-obtainium radial tire, the Truxs were the best compromise of both as they run quiet and smooth on the highway, perform well offroad and have a durable sidewall. Just FYI, I have run MTR's, Irok's, Pro Comp Xterians (horrible tire) and BFG Mud Terrains and none of them hold a candle to the Truxs MT's..........that being said, I'm going back to a rough riding Bias now so I don't have to carry a spare! :D
I am going to agree with Stevie here(but like I said, take it for what it's worth). I have never run these tires, but seeing his rig, and a couple buddies running them down here in Tucson on DD rigs, they work. Decent milage from what I have seen too. Riding in their rigs, they don't make much noise if any and are smooth. They have yet to cut one, but I think Eric has cut one or some. And they have somewhat of some sidewall tread, bling bling!

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
yeah but your hardcore eric
I'm just sharing my personal experience.........I had a bad set of the CC in a size they don't even offer anymore with other contributing issues making the truck ride like I balanced the tires with bricks..........and I'd still say those were the best tire I ever ran! The Truxs hooked up really well and rode like glass when the truck wasn't beat to shit making it ride like a tank. I still and will continue to have to drive mine to where ever I wheel, so streetability and offroad performance/durability is my holy grail.......but I have come to the conclusion that a smooth riding tire in the 40+ size is an oxymoron and I'm willing to settle for a not so pleasant highway experience to not have to worry about needing a spare or if I can pass off another warranty on a cut tire! :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
Dunno, i get pretty good milage out of my BFG KOs, 23.000 right now, and more then half tread left, my dad got 52000 our ot his 37s on a dielsel. Just have to run them hard on the street, i run mine at 40 lbs. and keep em rotated every oil change. never had any issues, with the bfgs, my dad has had the bfg km, and old school ones for years, and always got good milage out of them. and hang pretty tough off road.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dunno, i get pretty good milage out of my BFG KOs, 23.000 right now, and more then half tread left, my dad got 52000 our ot his 37s on a dielsel. Just have to run them hard on the street, i run mine at 40 lbs. and keep em rotated every oil change. never had any issues, with the bfgs, my dad has had the bfg km, and old school ones for years, and always got good milage out of them. and hang pretty tough off road.
BFG's are garbage in my book, they dont belong anywhere near rocks unless they are krawlers wich are to expensive to buy. So untill I get sponsered and get some for free this is how I feel about BFG's.
I personally run IROK's swampers, they are quiet on the street and show no fear on the rocks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Garbage is a little far, but what ever works better for everyone.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
About this Discussion
138 Replies
32 Participants
FAUX X 4
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing