TTORA Forum banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
I think I am exception with the creepy's.
I've had very good success with my Creepy's too. I am also a believer that they perform best under a heavier vehicle and that they hook up better with age. I'm comfortable with them in the rocks and when on pavement. Are they the best street tire, no, but why in the world would anyone expect them to be. Mine are balanced with bb's and they get down the road pretty well considering they are more suited to being off road. With that said would I buy them again, absolutely unless I saw something different I felt was worth a try. As for a sticky tire under my pig, there probably wouldn't be much left of them after driving to the trail head.

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
Oh and as far as sidewalls go, thick doesn't mean dick. It's more about how the layers are woven together and what they are made of. The Michelin XZL's (like pic below) I originally ran were stupid thick. But when one got cut on H2H it opened up to a fist sized gash. Great all terrain tire imo, but not suited to many above average trails. They were however stupid quiet on pavement and I never had to balance them in any way. I'd buy another set of those in a heart beat for anything driven on the street that can run a 38" tire and sees dirt/rocks occasionally.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Does everyone here not get that the reason there "might" be more cut KX's than other tires is cos if you go on the trails that the KX's "belong" on you'll see that these trails provide much greater risk for sidewall failure. PLUS if u happen too look at the rigs that are on these trails and see what tires everyone one is running the KX's are on every damn rig. And if their not then that guy is abusin he junk way more than those that are. Or usin the winch for more than a suck down.
I just don't get how someone could flame a tire that they would love to run them on their rig?
I'm curious to see how the new MTR/k yellows are gonna work. And if it'll make BFG start producing more KX reds?
Another thing that's needs consideration is that like every rig and everytire is differant? So is every driver. Good drivers will do much more on papermache tires than dispshits on KX's or Creepies. (Nothing against Creepie owners Creepies just have thick ass sidewalls
For the record? my MTR/k's work real good for the malls I hang out at. Not stickies and the sidewalls are holdin up well.
If I was running trails that warranted a stickie tire and didn't drive my junk no where else but those few trails then I'd be on KX's fo sho. (See sig line)
Precisely, it must be taken in context. And not only the that, but the rigs with them generally get wheeled very often.

Muck Faxxis.:D Bottom line...Krawlers are the greatest (crawling) tire known to man...that is all. If you don't agree, you've never wheeled them.:rolleyes:
Amen Brother West, preach on!

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
Precisely, it must be taken in context. And not only the that, but the rigs with them generally get wheeled very often.

Amen Brother West, preach on!
You should run for office. :flipoff4:

I actually think my Creepy Crawlers ride nice down the road. Smooth as fast as I've taken them(60mph) and they have no balancing at all. The first mile is a little unbalanced, but after that they are just like every other tire I've ran. Don't know about long term DD tire wear on them though.
Or personal experience. Everyone dogs on CC's on the road, but it's all because somebody's cousin's brother's wife's sister twice removed read on the VJC that someone with a Rubican't got them and said it sucks to drive it to the mall. Honestly, not that many people run them, so unless it's straight from someone who runs them(with any tire opinion), I wouldn't take it for much. I wheel with guys who run MTRs, Iroks, TSLs, sipped TSLs, SXs, sipped SX's, Creepys, Krawlers, TrXus M/T's. They all have their own little pluses and minuses. But with the abuse these tires take on these rigs and the trails that are run, the amount of destroyed tires is not much at all. Hell, 2 weeks ago the only tire I saw destroyed(not usable anymore) in a couple dozen or so rigs running was a Krawler, go figure.
My CC's are 37x12.50x16 bias plies, so load range D or E, whatever they are. As zanyzonies mentioned, at higher psi, the CC's buldge out in the center so only the center of the tire really touches the ground. At 20psi in my Jeep, I can't get the full width of the tire to contact the ground. Offroad they absolutely kick ass, I'd say they are the best tire without going with stickies. On the road, I have mine completely unbalanced and can cruise at 55mph no problem, very smooth except for the first mile or so until they round of from being parked. I've got ~10 wheeling trips on them and they are barely starting to round the edges and the sidewalls are broke in nice now. Probably only have 500 road miles on them and can't really notice any wear(all in town miles with a rear spool). If you don't drive much on pavement, I'd say they would be awesome, but if you drive 50+ miles a day, I don't know how much they'd wear. Probably the main thing is how fast they wear compared to the cost, as I'm sure you know they aren't cheap. When this set is wore out(from wheeling, not road miles), I'll have some better gearing and a better setup on my rig and am definitely going with them in 40's.

Zanyzonies-read above about the tire rounding in the center. I run mine on the street(when I do) at 20psi front and 15 psi back, for up to 30 miles one way, not a problem. Also, I don't know your rigs weight, but I assume it's close to mine, might try a little lower psi offroad. Although you have 15's, so no idea what they do on your rig. My 16's I run at 6psi front and 5psi rear and they hook up awesome. I ran AA last time at 9.5psi front and 8.5psi rear and they didn't want to do anything compared to 6/5. I couldn't even make the first fall. The sidewalls on these tire are about the toughest you can get I believe. As my buddies said, my tires don't have sidewall tread, they have sidewall armor. On the Marathon I almost fell into the H2H crack as I fell half way down the wall, my spotter had me turn slightly into it and he said, I hope the sidewall tread works, and it climbed right back out of it.

Sidenote: might have to hit some trails near Christmas, I gotta see your rig in action.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Oh and as far as sidewalls go, thick doesn't mean dick. It's more about how the layers are woven together and what they are made of. The Michelin XZL's (like pic below) I originally ran were stupid thick. But when one got cut on H2H it opened up to a fist sized gash. Great all terrain tire imo, but not suited to many above average trails. They were however stupid quiet on pavement and I never had to balance them in any way. I'd buy another set of those in a heart beat for anything driven on the street that can run a 38" tire and sees dirt/rocks occasionally.

How are the Michelin XL's 9.0X16
thought this site has some dece prices..but I dont know shit:eek:
http://www.xmlmilitarytires.com/place-an-order.html
do you have pics of your rigs on the xzl's military tires are like :boobies: for me!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I've been running BFG ATs on my truck ever since I've been wheeling it. The performance of the tread leaves little to be desired, but I'm getting tired of tearing sidewalls clean off the tire, Discount Tire warranty non-withstanding, I think I'll be going with the MTR Kevlars for my IFS mall wheeling needs :D

This thread cracks me up :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've been running BFG ATs on my truck ever since I've been wheeling it. The performance of the tread leaves little to be desired, but I'm getting tired of tearing sidewalls clean off the tire, Discount Tire warranty non-withstanding, I think I'll be going with the MTR Kevlars for my IFS mall wheeling needs :D

This thread cracks me up :)
I butterknifed you when you wernt lookin

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You too, huh Nick? Hahaha. I butter knifed one on LT myself...

All this useless talk about tires that I can't get in a peuny little 33 anyway. Time for a bigger rig!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Oh, and I almost forgot about that one on Cliffhanger in Moab last spring... that was me too.

:flipoff4:

See, BFG A/Ts are perfect, kickass tires. People just think they suck because so many of us out there keep sabatoging them on the trails. :D

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
This thread is :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Any tire companies reading this? We need a tire with sticky compound that is streetable and has rock-proof sidewalls...... let us know when their ready! :D

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Good thing Discount Tire takes care of their customers ;)

Guess no one has pictures of the one I tore up on Martinez? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
This thread is :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Any tire companies reading this? We need a tire with sticky compound that is streetable and has rock-proof sidewalls...... let us know when their ready! :D
I see your request and raise you the ability for the compound to change with air pressure...... higher pressures = harder compound and vise versa? Have it max out at 10 and 25 PSI? :D

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Scott, you're wrong, Uriel is the shortest.

As for Krawlers, once you run them, hands down, zero comparison to anything EVER. Creepies, up until Pitbulls came out, I'd say are the best offroad tire you can drive down the street. After seeing the Pitbulls, those tires kick ass!

You all can sit there and bitch and moan and compare all you want, but to my knowledge, Uriel and I are the only ones in this discussion that have had both Krawlers and Creepies on the same rig set up the same way. We might know a thing or 2, not just heresay.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Igor is going to manufacture his own for when he moves up to 37" on his IFS
here's some secret solidwerks spy photos

81 - 100 of 139 Posts
About this Discussion
138 Replies
32 Participants
FAUX X 4
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing