TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if this is a good place for this but ill try

i have a friend who recently came into ownership of a 2003 tundra 2x4 with 62000 miles on a 3.4 and runs perfect. the catch is that it was involved in katrina (flood damage) and some how it ended up with a Michigan scrap title that states "vehicle cannot be registered/retitled or sold unless to a salvage yard" the reason for is stated " katrina flood damaged vehicle; non-salvagable parts; scrap vehicle all parts salvagable"

now i guess my question is, is there anyway he can make this truck street legal again? if so how? what kind of legal hoops need to be jumped? or is there some sort of way to get around all that?

i would really like to see this truck make it back onto the road otherwise what a waste of a good running truck, cept for the fact that its 2wd has 20"s and is automatic... but whatever haha

any info or advice is welcome, you may PM me or just post on this thread thanks all

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My advice would be to talk to CSP about it. You may be able to get an inspection done to get a rebuilt salvage title or something. They would be able to tell you though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I remember reading articles on sellers taking vehicles to other states with less strict rules and getting them re-titled, it was a big problem with buyers not knowing what they were getting.

One of the articles: http://money.cnn.com/2006/12/15/autos/flood_car_scam/index.htm

I am just assuming that it would be even harder to get it done now, b/c how does the state know you're not going to try and turn around and sell it. Even though his intent maybe to keep it, things change and people change their minds or they may just need to get rid of it.

Good luck, would be kind of interesting to see what he finds out.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Buy one with a clean title and swap the parts to that one. Other then that no. If it was salvge you could title wash it if you wanted or go to CSP for a vin inspection to be able to register it. As long as the title is not a bill of sale only type sale(sounds like it is) then you you have options.....I kinda think your stuck tho.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well my buddy isnt really the offroading type so trail rig kinda out the window, would be pretty cool though...

according to him he found out a way to by pass that stuff and claim it as an abandonded vehicle then after he reports it, puts an ad in the paper and talks to the "DMV", after ten days thy have to send him a title... though that sounds kinda sketch to me so i dont know.... we shal see if this plan works out for him if not we shall try something else....

and we're off to see the wizard!!!.....

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
It doesnt sound like the title is salvage. It sounds like a BOS title. You get ownership paperwork or a title that cant ever get registration. If you go through all that to get the title paperwork going through IF CO and the other state are on the same style system it will show up and you get now plates,no registration. Most CO people take salvage cars to OR to redgister them and bring them back to redgister them after that to "wash" the title OR and a few other states use different systems and dont do the salvage title or branded title crap so when you bring it back CO's system doesnt pick up its salvage. Title washing is 100% legal btw. thats one idea if they tell you that you cant register it.

Option 2...Frames are what register the vin plates on the body are removable and you can pick up a distroyed truck with a salvage or clean title and build the best of both trucks on the frame that can be registered. Its more work but when you go to vin inspection with it you have the BOS or ownership paperwork for the other truck you used for parts and you just fixed the salvage one.

Option 3 part it or sell it BOS only and throw the money at car with a non Salvage title and forget about it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
meh we shall see, remember its not my truck its my friends i could care less either way

1 - 11 of 11 Posts