TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
apparently texas recently changed laws involving re titling a used vehicle where you have to pay a tax on a "presumed value" of the car. not only is this double taxation (first paying sales tax when new and then taxing it again used) which in itself is enough to make me want to burn down the capitol, but they presume the value of my truck is 13000 (paid 6000...). it has a couple dents here and there and the front end was in a wreck so half my lights need replacement, the bumper and lower valence need replacement and i already bought new tires because the ones on it were bald. on top of all that i need to redo the timing belt pretty soon. it has numerous things that would cause a pretty significant drop in the value, especially when 13000 is probably a stretch for a mint vehicle with 109k miles like it has. according to the government, i need to get an appraisal from a certified appraiser to get the amount of the tax reduced (tell me those fuckers didn't lobby to have this legislation passed).

is this not one of the largest crocks of shit you can think of? it costed over $1000 to get my truck registered.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
WHA??? I didn't know about that! That's BULLSHIT

·
Registered
181 Posts
I heard about it in november. I think they went to this system because people were cheating the government and lying about the sales price...hell...i've done it.

It's the same way they do property taxes (assumed value). Why didn't you get it appraised? You might have saved more then the cost of the appraisal.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
because my dad is putting it in his name for insurance purposes and he was sick of all the red tape he was getting in the process of transferring the title. i'm considering still getting the appraisal but then that's even more bullshit to go back and get anything refunded if that's even possible. [i called the comptrollers office and they seem to be able to refund after the fact but it will take like 2 months]

i don't give a shit about other people cheating them by fudging sale prices, this truck was bought for the payoff and it was in pretty rough shape, theres no way it should be valued at 13000 in its condition and mileage. if theyre gonna bullshit us with that tax, the least they could do is appraise the vehicle for free.

from their website "The Texas Legislature passed the law to ensure all Texans pay their fair share of vehicle sales taxes. The additional revenue will help fund Texas schools." so how much funding does it take to run inefficient schools teaching to a retarded standardized test?

reading more, i see that vehicles given as gifts are exempt from the tax. how is this stopping them from getting screwed on people fudging sale prices when they can just "give it away" and get paid under the table? this tax is outrageous and is only made to screw regular people out of more tax money. i thought the united states was against communism, but jesus christ it's turning into it more everyday.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
indeed. i'm hoping i can find a yota dealer that wants my business who's going to write up every nitpicking detail wrong with it in hopes that i get it repaired at their facility. i also hope that with proof of recorded mileage and dates i can get them to account for things i've already replaced. if it goes the same as everything else has so far, i'll probably get screwed on the appraisal also. it costs from 100-300 dollars by itself

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
HisDudeness said:
indeed. i'm hoping i can find a yota dealer that wants my business who's going to write up every nitpicking detail wrong with it in hopes that i get it repaired at their facility. i also hope that with proof of recorded mileage and dates i can get them to account for things i've already replaced. if it goes the same as everything else has so far, i'll probably get screwed on the appraisal also. it costs from 100-300 dollars by itself

I have a new pen.....We could pen whip=TOTAL it :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

<Yota Tech....Dude, I'm on Your side 110%
<<<<< NOT in the habit of screwing anyone.....BTW

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
yeah the law went into effect october 1st of 06. i did all of my transferring of titles on sept 28th. :) you can get it appraised for free at CarMax, but i don't think it counts. plus they may not even look at it if it's been wrecked.

·
Registered
655 Posts
yup, happened to me...but luckily the vehicle i purchased wa sbefore the law went into effect so when i was down to renew tags, transfer title and shit i was able to skip out on all that BS cause sale slip showed date prior to october :D

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
Yep, saw that article in the news last year, it sucks.
NC even is worse, they claim the car as property and charge tax on that - - every year! Try living with that crap! I had to do it for my three vechicals and home. I hope Texas does not go that route.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Yep new law went into effect last year, there are ways to lower the tax legally. Once you paid the tax tho you wont get a refund if you prove the vehicle is worth less $$.
You can get an appraisal by a certified appraiser, usually auction houses or insurance companies have one on staff, they normally wont do outside work tho. Very few Car Max or dealership appraisers are certified. Then you need to get the appraisal notarized and provide it at time of titling.
This law came into effect because people were selling vehicles for rediculously low sums on paper.
Dont blame the Capitol because people cant tell the truth and wanna cheat on taxes. Blame the people that created the situation.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Our local news did a report on this a while back. They said the state was complaining that too many people were under-reporting the sale price so they came up with this new law. Then after the law took effect, the number of gifted vehicle rose like 1000%, and the state gets NO tax money from a gift transfer!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
precisely, this law is a way to fuck the average citizen who doesnt want to go get an appraisal done in the ass. i hope the asshole who came up with this idea dies a slow painful death.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Theres a proposal to change the gift law soon also, making it tougher for people that are gifted a vehicle, this because again people are abusing the system.
Owning a vehicle is a priviledge you have to pay for not a right your given, quit whining and pay the taxes or get rid of the truck and walk.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
bull shit. tax was already paid on the vehicle, they don't need to stick their greedy hands in our pockets every time the vehicle changes hands.

btw it would be one thing if i could see 1000000% concrete proof that the money goes DIRECTLY to education without passing go, but if it's anything like the lottery money you know it's all getting moved around and it doesn't make its way where it should.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Seems to me that any taxes on VEHICLES should be applied to ROADS. Now if there were a tax on KIDS, then the money should go to SCHOOLS.

I'm tired of paying for everyone else's kids, I mean what exactly does the value of my property have to do with some welfare family's kids education. Fuck em all...:flipoff1:

·
Registered
306 Posts
You know the guy that bought my truck off of me back in August was stupid enough to tell them what he bought it for and came to me b!tching about how much taxes were, I told him he should have said he bought it for 500 instead of 15K, but then he told me how the Tax Office told him what it was worth anyways and lets just say it was less then what i sold it to him for :D

Now I am going to be kind of in the same dilemma, I bought a 40 for my father and turned the title over to him without ever getting it registered in Texas. The title was turned over into my name and I plan on just signing it over to my Dad. Of course the previous owner stated in the title that he sold it to me for 500 bucks (when it was quite a bit more) and I have to wonder what their value would be for a vehicle that is almost thirty years old. Most companies like kelly blue book don't go back that far on their websites so hopefully they will think I actually paid 500 bucks for an old clunker.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Since we are on the subject of title transfers, here is my predicament: My parents bought my truck for me when I was in school with a deal that I pick up payments after I graduated. The truck was titled in my dad's name. I will pay the truck off in a few months and the bank will issue to the title into his name (probably with an Alabama title as that is where my dad lives) and then immediately transferred to me. Since I've been making the payments on the truck, I don't want the county to charge me a tax based on the blue book value since it will not be a sale. IMO, i should only have to pay the $50 title transfer fee plus the $10 title fee. In my situation, is there a way around the blue book value tax since this isn't a sale?

Here are some comments received from tbplus10 a few months ago on the subject:

When you get clear title have your dad "gift" the truck to you, this will save you sales tax. The $1 sale scam doesnt work very anymore, most counties charge a flat fee based on Blue Book value of the vehicle if they suspect your devalueing to avoid paying higher sales taxes.

You'll also have to pay a title transfer fee of $50.

Since your dad lives in Alabama make sure the bank knows you want a Texas title. As a convienience and without letting you know, banks will at times title in the state the titled owner lives at time of payoff.
Any other comments or suggestions? After re-reading it appears that Tim was telling me that if my dad gifts the truck to me then i can avoid paying the sales tax, is my understanding correct?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FJ, cars over 25 years old don't get taxed

cooper, assuming gift laws don't change he can "give" it to you and the tax for that is $10

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Since we are on the subject of title transfers, here is my predicament: My parents bought my truck for me when I was in school with a deal that I pick up payments after I graduated. The truck was titled in my dad's name. I will pay the truck off in a few months and the bank will issue to the title into his name (probably with an Alabama title as that is where my dad lives) and then immediately transferred to me. Since I've been making the payments on the truck, I don't want the county to charge me a tax based on the blue book value since it will not be a sale. IMO, i should only have to pay the $50 title transfer fee plus the $10 title fee. In my situation, is there a way around the blue book value tax since this isn't a sale?

Well your dad might get away with having the bank issue a Texas title but wait, what plates do you have on right now? if you have texas plates then you should get a texas title but like you said, it will be on your dad's name. even if it is in your dads name, i wouldn't worry about transfering it over to your name because hey, it stays in the family. as long as both of you know its yours. you can continue buying the registration every year with no problem just like you have being doing right? what you could have him do is just sign it over to you and you just file it away. that way if you ever have the need/want to sell it, it is already signed and you don't have to hunt for him just to get it signed al the way to alabama, (shit gets lost in the mail).
if you still want to transfer well then you probably can get away with having to prove you have been paying it with either check stubs or bank statements and i think they will wave the taxes but you still can't get away from the standard fees.

GL i hope this helps!
Jose

1 - 20 of 21 Posts