TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am looking for a good front bumper and I am not to be one the tube style front bumpers so I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with TJM bumpers specificly the T15 and T17 models.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm interested also. I'm looking into both the ARB and TJM. But I have a 2" BL and I know someone has modified the bracket for the TJM bumper, I'm not sure if you can do that to the ARB since it has those crush cans on them. I really want a bumper with provisions for a winch! And I dont want a tube bumper since I heard that they're illegal in Washington.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the tjm and and I have also welded some shackle tabs onto the front of the bumper. I have been very pleased with it so for except for the fact that there is not much excess room in the bumper for the cable to spool. If you're winching at an angle the cable spools up all to one side and if you're not paying attention it can wedge itself in the bumper.

·
Old Timer
266 Posts
01blkext said:
Hey I am looking for a good front bumper and I am not to be one the tube style front bumpers so I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with TJM bumpers specificly the T15 and T17 models.
I have the TJM T-17 for a few years and its has been good. I agree on the fact there could be more room for cable! :welder:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have the TJM-15 bumper and it's held up quite well, it was easy to modify the brackets to raise the bumper, but make sure you add in extra bracing if your gonna do any serious winching.

·
Registered
42 Posts
BruceTS said:
I have the TJM-15 bumper and it's held up quite well, it was easy to modify the brackets to raise the bumper, but make sure you add in extra bracing if your gonna do any serious winching.
thats the answer i was looking for. I have a 2" BL and I'm worried about the gap that would be there if I cant mod the brackets. Have you had any problems with, or are you worried about your airbags.?

·
Registered
73 Posts
duby08 said:
I have the tjm and and I have also welded some shackle tabs onto the front of the bumper. I have been very pleased with it so for except for the fact that there is not much excess room in the bumper for the cable to spool. If you're winching at an angle the cable spools up all to one side and if you're not paying attention it can wedge itself in the bumper.
Yep, the worst part about hidden winch mounts is...

...they are hidden.

One thing I didn't like about the TJM was the plastic cover they provide to cover the clutch lever. I lost a couple and began to tape down the thing to keep it on.

The ARB design is better in this area.

·
Registered
84 Posts
BTT:

I'm in the market for a TJM, and I am looking carefully at all the models. But does anyone know for sure if they make a *non* winch bumper? I have my eye on the T17 with the optional center bar, but I noticed it has winch capability.
I'd just like to have the bumper fit snug with the front and not stick out too far.
It's getting too late to shop online, anyway. I need to hit a good 4wd shop and talk to someone who knows his stuff...

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
one thing about the ARB's though depending on what year your truck is, newer ones with shorter frames should do this, mine is a 99 so i was able to get away with it. its highly recommended that a fledge plate or tab is welded to where the crash cans are, since arbs' brackets bolt on to the front of the frame rails and the other two bolts are bolted where the tow hooks are. with my 99, the frame is a bit longer, so i was able to run the longer bolt (supplied) up and thru the top of the frame making mine a lot more secure than the spacer setup that ARB provides for the newer models
im not exaclty sure which years the frame length changed, but if u purchase an ARB and come across having to put the spacer in, then ull prob want to weld or fabricate a tab on for it to bolt onto

·
Old Timer
266 Posts
platform389 said:
Yep, the worst part about hidden winch mounts is...

...they are hidden.

One thing I didn't like about the TJM was the plastic cover they provide to cover the clutch lever. I lost a couple and began to tape down the thing to keep it on.

The ARB design is better in this area.
I have a winch in mine and just leave the covef off.....

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
dign_in said:
I'm interested also. I'm looking into both the ARB and TJM. But I have a 2" BL and I know someone has modified the bracket for the TJM bumper, I'm not sure if you can do that to the ARB since it has those crush cans on them. I really want a bumper with provisions for a winch! And I dont want a tube bumper since I heard that they're illegal in Washington.

I modified the Brackets for an ARB and used it to winch with held up like a champ. It was for a truck with a 3"B/L. It gets modded about like the TJM brackets do.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
yeah u can do it like the tjm as well, but the crash can on the fornt of tacomas is so crappy thats its not worth bolting anything onto unless u fabricate something

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
dign_in
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing