TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 tacoma reg cab, 5.29's, auto tranny, 37 mt/r's. 105,000

Transmission has never been fully flushed. Throughout the life of the truck I have drained the pan and filled back up with the proper amount a few times. Fluid level has always been checked and maintained. Fluid is a little dark but does not stink and doesnt appear to have any shavings or specs in it. Truck has never done any towing whatsoever, but has been wheeled. The transmission has never slipped, hesitated, etc. It shifts great now. I really just want to fully flush the transmission but Im kind of scared to because of some of the horror stories I have heard about transmissions being flushed then crapping out a few days later.

Let me now what yall think!

Josh

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I was thinking. Either drain a quart, add a quart method. Or keep doing my drain the pan and refill with new. I guess I should dig away and finally change the filter though...

Josh

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Thats what I was thinking. Either drain a quart, add a quart method. Or keep doing my drain the pan and refill with new. I guess I should dig away and finally change the filter though...

Josh
isnt it a sealed unit? I would just drain the fucker out and refill it with new and forget about it. do that whenever it gets really nasty brown.

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
Get a 5 gallon bucket, 3 feet of hose, A case of tranny fluid and a funnel...
Take one of the cooler lines off the radiator put the 3 foot hose on the trans cooler and stick both hoses in the 5 gallon bucket.
Start the engine and keep filling the trans till clean looking fluid comes out of the hose, STOP THE ENGINE when you have 1 and 1/2 qurts of fluid left.
Re-attach the cooler hose. start the engine and check the trans fluid level.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had my 97's transmission with 125k miles flushed at the dealership a year ago. It improved the shifting. The fluid looks perfect. No problems. Now at 138k miles.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OR97 Taco, had the fluid been changed before? What did the fluid look like that came out? (if you got to see it)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Flush flush flush....
There could be a filter inside the tranny that gets changed with the flush - or I'm thinking of another vehicle...??

Can't beat a flush - save your tranny.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I've had the tranny fluid completely replaced (drain/refill) at least twice in 142K miles...no problems. Just do it as part of the regular maintenance recommended by Toyota.

·
Registered
111 Posts
just drain n refill. or if you want to get dirty, drop the pan, clean out the filter and refill. speaking of which..mines due for a refill as well.

adding a tranny cooler will also help extend the life of your slushbox...

·
Registered
243 Posts
OR97 Taco, had the fluid been changed before? What did the fluid look like that came out? (if you got to see it)
It had been drained and refilled, but not flushed which changes all the fluid.

From what I understand, if you're having transmission problems, don't flush it. It may hasten it's demise. If your transmission works fine, go ahead and flush it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts