TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanted to get some opinions.

I just bought a '05 4x4 with a LSD. I wanted to know if you guys think I should ditch the LSD in favor of having the dealer install the factory locker. They will install it for a really good price. The reason I ask is that I don't do that much wheeling. I go out maybe 3-4 times a year. Most of my "off-raoding" is in the snow when I go boarding. I know that locker is no good for the snow, but the LSD is. So I'm very confused.. have the dealer install the factory TRD locker or stick with the LSD?? I also do plan in lifting the truck with the DR coilovers when they come out.

Thanks for the help.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
SP Jon M3 said:

I just bought a '05 4x4 with a LSD. I wanted to know if you guys think I should ditch the LSD in favor of having the dealer install the factory locker. They will install it for a really good price. The reason I ask is that I don't do that much wheeling. I go out maybe 3-4 times a year. Most of my "off-raoding" is in the snow when I go boarding. I know that locker is no good for the snow, but the LSD is. So I'm very confused.. have the dealer install the factory TRD locker or stick with the LSD?? I also do plan in lifting the truck with the DR coilovers when they come out.

Thanks for the help.
What is the price? Unless you are going to do rockcrawling the LSD should be fine

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ptrautne said:
What is the price? Unless you are going to do rockcrawling the LSD should be fine
The price is $0. The most I tend to go out on are some trails in So.Cal. nothing major and no hard core rockcrawling. But on my old truck I did need to use the locker a few times. I think that the LSD would have provided enough to get out, but I'm not sure. I just like having that security of a fully locked diff. The other concern is that the new V6 has so much more power I can barley keep the tires from spinning on a wet road. This will only get worse if I add the locker wich has an open diff.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
the lsd and the locker do basically the same thing...but with the locker you can choose when you want it to be locked. lots of times with the lsd, you'll be stuck by the time it locks. it's not like you're gonna have the locker on when you're driving around on wet roads

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
YoTRacer158 said:
the lsd and the locker do basically the same thing...but with the locker you can choose when you want it to be locked. lots of times with the lsd, you'll be stuck by the time it locks. it's not like you're gonna have the locker on when you're driving around on wet roads

A locker locks both wheels together, and sends equal power to both wheels. The LSD does not opperate in that manor.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
YoTRacer158 said:
a lsd and a locker are similar in that they help provide better traction to both wheels but they are not the same. a lsd allows for some slipping from one side to the other and a locker provides 100% lockup between wheels.

·
Registered
843 Posts
i would get the e-locker, even if not used alot the one time its worth it and your price sounds good, go for it, i know people who would love to have a push button locker and they dont offroad very much, i think thats what its meant for

·
Registered
47 Posts
YoTRacer158 said:
Very untrue! Most LSD's provide very very little help.

Here's an example, My Ford F350 w/ LSD rear diff. If the left wheel is on hard pack, and the right wheel is on mud or wet grass. It will still not provide enough differental torque to move the wheel on hard pack. Instead, the wheel in wet grass will just sit there and spin.

I hate to tell you, but most LSD's are LSD on the invoice only, in all realality, they might as well be an open diff.
-Chris

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
SP Jon M3 said:
Most of my "off-raoding" is in the snow when I go boarding. I know that locker is no good for the snow, but the LSD is.
You're right, if the snow is all you hit, go with the LSD. If you're truck says on the pavement more, the LSD will be better for you.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Just be sure the lsd is of a design that can be tuned...ie eaton ls. Mine is like 100%, 70%. It hooks up well, and has been a godsend. I don't like lockers on "street rigs". Clunky, ratchety. And they all eventually need service, or break. At least with lsd, you get good street performance. I live here in S. ca,too. You won't use a locker on a daily driver much.... and the one guy is right. A factory lsd is pretty close to an open setup. Can't have the throttle happy hook up and plow to many surfers, can we??? If you spin a lot, your right foot is O.K. If you HOP a lot, while spinning, your rear end needs springs and shocks. Don't stick an aal setup in. Go with a spring pack. Wether it be all new, or an add on spring pack. It will reduce wheelhop, and spin at the same time. Don't worry. The wheelspin can be Re-installed with MORE right foot!!!!

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
PismoBoy24 said:
Very untrue! Most LSD's provide very very little help.

Here's an example, My Ford F350 w/ LSD rear diff. If the left wheel is on hard pack, and the right wheel is on mud or wet grass. It will still not provide enough differental torque to move the wheel on hard pack. Instead, the wheel in wet grass will just sit there and spin.

I hate to tell you, but most LSD's are LSD on the invoice only, in all realality, they might as well be an open diff.
-Chris
I have been in a 2005 with the LSD in the snow, and I tried it to see what would happen. One tire on wet pavement, one tire in snow. 1/2 throttle, the tire on the snow did not spin. I tried with my truck to make sure I wasn't wrong, sure enough 1/2 with the open diff and I didn't go anywhere. I have noticed the same thing for the LSD in the Tundra, which I would assume is the same thing as the one in the 2005 Tacoma.

Some LSDs can have very loose clutch packs, while others have tighter ones- which will wear out over time. So it really depends on the LSD in question.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
atwinda said:
You're right, if the snow is all you hit, go with the LSD. If you're truck says on the pavement more, the LSD will be better for you.
I sure like my Locker for Snow. There is a serious hill a couple miles long to climb and the plow and salt normally comes 2 or 3 days after the snow falls, so I can lock it at the bottom and climb up the hill then. I have Traction-Lok in my Mustang, Fords word for LSD. If I rev it up and dump the clutch I get 2 nice long black marks on the street so mine seems to work correctly, I dont understand why everyone else is having problems with their LSD's.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry guys.. not going to go into detail how I can get the locker at that price, just that I can get it. :cool:

I am at this point leaning towards the locker. I do know that I have used it before in my '01 TRD. And those few times when I needed it (or showed off with it to a Dodge that couldn't make it) :p it was well worth it. And from what you guys are saying, the LSD in the trucks are useless (what a 10-25% lockup?). I know that LSDs do work when setup properly. Have one that works very well on my Bimmer.. :D . I know that my old truck drove fine in 4wd with open diffs, never got stuck or slipped.

I appreciate all of your input... please keep chiming in.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
SP Jon M3 said:

Thanks for the help.
If they are willing to swap out the diffs for free I'd say get the e-locker, no question.

·
Registered
203 Posts
SP Jon M3 said:

Thanks for the help.
I only go wheeling 3-4 times a yr and also have to put up with the wheelspin in the rain but so does everyone with a truck. I'll take the locker any day over the LSD. The LSDs wear over time and become less effective. A far as wheelspin, don't give it so much gas. Get the locker.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 05 with LSD on wet roads is 100% better then my earlier Tacoma. I can still tire spin , but I DON"T have the usual fishtail I had before with an open Diff. Also it has been a huge improvement backing uphill into my garage. I used to be to little gas "spin" to much "spin", now it pulls uphill in reverse on wet pavement just fine. I had the locker before and I quess it was better in an off-road environment, but I use mine mostly on-road wet weather and snow so I think this LSD with 4X4 when needed is going to be much better all-around. Of course if off-roading was my "primary" goal I would go with a locker first. But I have been extremely impressed with the performance of the 05's LSD and don't think I'll ever get a rear wheel drive without one again.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts