TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking at buying a 02/03? taco 4dr 4x4 TRD limited with 95,000 it appears to be in great shape. what do i need to look, for is the motor in these a good choice (V6), it is a a dealership that got it from a auction so no records are avaliable. i have a 94 ex cab with the 3.0 (no problems what so ever 150,000) just want a 4 door. i can get the truck for around $16,500. should i buy or keep lookin? if purchased i don't plan on reselling for a long time thanks 4 any help of opinions

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
$16,500 is full retail price for that truck. I would say that you've got quite a bit of haggling to do. Things I would check are: water pump/timing belt, verify that it's a real TRD (progessive rate springs and e-locker), and the obvious body/frame damage.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no frame damage or body work (done had that verfied) as far as TRD it has the button for locking rear df so i assume it is a TRD the asking prie for the truck was 17,900 but got down to 16.5 what is a fair price? most these trucks are outragous in price. acordin to kbb it seemd about fair to me but i don't buy and sell i buy yoda

·
Registered
473 Posts
yeah

So you haven't ran the VIN through Carfax to check it out? May be worth the 30 bucks or so. 16.5 seems about right, but you should be able to get it a little lower, maybe high 15's. My stepdad got the same truck (minus the limited) for less than 18, with a lot less miles, and this was a couple years ago, when the truck was maybe 2 years old. Try and haggle them down a bit. Carfax is nice too, especially with the hurricanes and crap, you never know what that trucks been through.
-Dan
________
volcano review

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
A few of the 95.5-97 3.4L V6's had headgasket problems (kind of like the 3.0 V6's), but the later ones don't seem to be blowing head gaskets all that much. Even so, I'd check the coolant and oil to make sure they don't look like they've mixed.

Since it's an 02/03 TRD model, it probably came with ADD (automatic differential disconnect - not to be confused with "auto hubs" that came on some of the 80's IFS Toyota 4x4s). I'd check the CV boots for tears and excess wear and tear. If it was a mall queen, it was probably never put in 4wd, so you might want to check to make sure the t-case, rear electric locker and front ADD hubs all engage properly.

Needless to say, check for leaks all around, including input and output t-case seals, front and rear pinion diff seals, front diff seals, rear axle oil seals, oil dripping from back of engine/front of trans (could indicate rear main seal leak), etc. Doubtful that you'll find any since these trucks aren't prone to leaking like old Fords do, but always a good idea to check anyway.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Almost forgot - consensus is that the timing belt on the 3.4L V6 should be changed no later than 90K miles. Doubt you'll ever be able to find out if it has been changed, but one bargaining point you could make in the event they won't go down on price is to get them to agree to change the timing belt (and water pump while they're at it) at their expense as a condition of the sale. Obviously, make sure it's in writing if they agree to it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would work on the price some more, 2 years ago I bought my 2001 Tacoma Double Cab Trd 4x4 for about 16,500 also, but with only 30,000 miles

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the info. how do u test the rear locker is working? is it like possitive traction if u stomp the gas??? and where are yall finding these trucks for these prices?? i'v been looking hard and besides the miles this is the cheapest.. underneath and the motor do look like a mall cruiser (with no painting done) but the outside does have a few scratches. some can be buffed out with the exception of a couple small ones. scratches are charter to me ijust want them to be my scratches

·
Registered
495 Posts
The 98 and prior V6's timing belt needs to changed at either 60K or 75K I forget which, search. Also the 4 doors were something like 2000 and later. You might want to search to the trans test adn elocker. I know on mine that when I put the trans in gear that a green 4x4 light come on in the dash. To put the elocker on I believe you switch to N, then 4lo and then push the button while not moving, drive slow making a weaving motion with the wheel till a red light comes on in the dash, I forget what it says.

Flame me if I am wrong, slightly drunk and working from memory.

·
Registered
473 Posts
yeah

The free carfax report shows 6 records. When I had it for a month I went and looked at a lot of trucks (seein how crappy the 05+ were, i was considering getting one) and most of the stuff was to do with the title changing, or the truck being resold. But then again, there were a couple with flood damage and such. With the truck being a few years old, I wouldnt worry about it, its probably exchanged hands a few times and thats what they're about. But yeah, the timing belt/water pump idea was good. You should give them the option of that or lowering the price. Also let them know you've been researching the hell out of these trucks and this isn't the best price. Don't come on as being un-informed.
-Dan
________
DL1000 VStrom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
dd_sr5
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing