TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my 04 Tacoma 3.4 V6 is throwing the ODBII code too lean, AGAIN.
I have replaced rear 02 sensor (TRD exhaust), spark plugs (NGK), fuel filter, intake filter(K&N) and cleaned the MAF. After completeing all these things, I have reset the ECU. After a few days the fucking check engine light comes back on, and whenever I try to pass some asshole who cant drive the speed limit, my truck hesitates to get on it and move like it used to (I know its not a sports car, but its quick enough to speed when needed). It has 40,000 miles and has been treated like a new girlfriend. I put a K&N FIPK intake in it back in 03 and a TRD exhaust on in 06. Those are the only mods I have made to my truck. I have read that it could be my intake, but I really doubt that. So if anybody at all has any kind of love for their truck, like I do mine, then please help a fellow toyota lover out. thank you all.

Scate

·
Registered
619 Posts
check your PCV valve....i just threw my K&N in the trash today after my CEL came on again...bought a factory paper...also, I'd use factory plugs (Denso) as they were made with them...check all your vacume lines to the new intake and make sure they are all connected/tear free....could be an injector..that's what I'm doing this weekend...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checked all that shit, still no go. it sucks, but i don't have my stock intake, anyway, i'll probably just end up paying some british mofo double what anybody in the states would pay to have my truck fixed. i had the stock denso in also before, and that didn't change anything, side denso and ngk are love parteners in the automotive world, so they are interchangeable. i really hope its not an injector, i imagine its not gonna be cheap, especially where i'm at. but thanks for the help, i really appreciate it

·
Registered
75 Posts
Why did you change the rear 02 sensor? It does nothing to control fuel; just compares the reading to the front 02 to see if the cat is working.

When you cleaned your maf; did clean the two little wires inside (there really hard to see) or just the thermistor (red "diode")?

you should observe with a scan tool if the front a/f sensor responds when leaning or enriching. Try to pinch the fuel return line; the sensor should go from around 3.3 volts and get lower like 2 volts for example. Remove the brake booster line on the intake to create a large vac leak. The voltage should go near 4 volts or just plain more than 3.3 volts.

A smoke machine is the best thing to use for intake leaks. It's often used to find leaks in EVAP systems.

It's kinda hard to diagnose this without proper tools.

good luck

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ok, my 04 Tacoma 3.4 V6 is throwing the ODBII code too lean, AGAIN.
I have replaced rear 02 sensor (TRD exhaust), spark plugs (NGK), fuel filter, intake filter(K&N) and cleaned the MAF. After completeing all these things, I have reset the ECU. After a few days the fucking check engine light comes back on, and whenever I try to pass some asshole who cant drive the speed limit, my truck hesitates to get on it and move like it used to (I know its not a sports car, but its quick enough to speed when needed). It has 40,000 miles and has been treated like a new girlfriend. I put a K&N FIPK intake in it back in 03 and a TRD exhaust on in 06. Those are the only mods I have made to my truck. I have read that it could be my intake, but I really doubt that. So if anybody at all has any kind of love for their truck, like I do mine, then please help a fellow toyota lover out. thank you all.

Scate

What's the code that you are getting?

·
Registered
619 Posts
That's Bank One running lean. Same as mine. I cleaned the snot outta my MAF (making sure not to just clean the obvious) new PAPER air cleaner, new front 02, Seafoam, and a good injector/fuel system cleaner and the thing runs smooth as silk. We'll see how long the damn CEL stays off for...got new plugs and wires in the mail as we speak.....

Make sure you clean ALL of the MAF though, I missed some when I did it the first time....

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Kind of a hijack - my blower sounds like it has the same issues, I was wondering how hard it is to replace the fuel filter in one of these bad boys??? (I realize that probably isn't the whole problem but it's a start...)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is pretty easy, but loosen one side at time to drain any left over fuel in the filter. and be careful not to damage any of the fuel lines, they are pretty flimsy. it only took me about 20 minutes to do the whole process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.