TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

A close friend of mine ordered a 2014 Off Road Manual (Six speed Stick)
Green Tacoma (V6)

He's been waiting more than two months. Is this normal?? Is there anything that can be done to help speed up the process?

I know that for some cars, Lambo's, Ferrari's, even some Special Porsche's it may take a while, but for a Toyota Pick up....

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Tell him to make some compromise.
I get that he wants a double cab offroad 6 speed, but does it have to be green!?
Can't he take another color?
Can the dealership not trade one on their lot for a compareable truck on another dealer's lot?

I've never bought a truck brand new from the dealership but, coming from my dad (who was a Toyota salesman for 5+ years) you need to find the vehicle you're looking for and go to the dealer that has it.
The whole "ordering" a vehicle from Toyota isn't like "ordering" one from GM.
At the beginning of a model year Toyota decides how many of each exact model/ color/ trim they're going to make and THATS THAT. They don't make any extra ones simply because Joe Schmoe "orders one".

That being said.. If your friend was promised X build/ color/ trim then it'll come eventually.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Pretty much what Scuba said. I did buy new from a dealer, and I asked about ordering because I was looking for a model/color combo that I couldn't find. Turns out they didn't make it, or it wasn't available in my region. That's when I learned just how specific Toyota was - I remember you could get Speedway Blue on some models, but not others. And if you wanted a TRD red was fine but the maroon wasn't (or maybe it was the other way around). Access vs double cab made a difference too in some cases. Black, white, and silver were about the only 'universal' colors - everything else was only available on a subset.

I was told they could put in an 'order' but it was more a 'request' that would go to the factory. It could take six months to get, or might not get it at all. And the more 'unique' the build, the less likely they were to do it. It definitely wasn't like ordering from a US manufacturer, though I've heard they were reducing options as well.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
My friend waited 3 months plus, for his ordered truck.

Damn kid.:D He's got a new 2014 supercharged 4.0 with a warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Specific Colors

Pretty much what Scuba said. I did buy new from a dealer, and I asked about ordering because I was looking for a model/color combo that I couldn't find. Turns out they didn't make it, or it wasn't available in my region. That's when I learned just how specific Toyota was - I remember you could get Speedway Blue on some models, but not others. And if you wanted a TRD red was fine but the maroon wasn't (or maybe it was the other way around). Access vs double cab made a difference too in some cases. Black, white, and silver were about the only 'universal' colors - everything else was only available on a subset.

I was told they could put in an 'order' but it was more a 'request' that would go to the factory. It could take six months to get, or might not get it at all. And the more 'unique' the build, the less likely they were to do it. It definitely wasn't like ordering from a US manufacturer, though I've heard they were reducing options as well.
Ditto what acidchylde said.

I also wanted 2014 Speedway Blue with Tan Interior. Off- Road DBC With Tow Package, Lockers and Leather.

The dealer had a Build / Distribution book that shows exactly what colors were made, what options they have and which dealer they were sent to. They finally found one to my liking but, it has grey interior. Turns out only 2 were made like I requested in the last 3 months and they were sold on the east coast. Mine had to be a "dealer swap" but it only took about a week to complete.

Couldn't be happier.......:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Furthering on what was said, the long wait is becauseTyota manufacturing operates by the TPS. Their manufacturing levels are strictly controlled which is what gives them the ability to produce at very high quality levels and keep costs down. Most other manufacturers don't necessarily build to order either, they just maintain huge stocks of various equipped vehicles at other dealers and warehouses an modify as necessary based on customer requests. However, maintaining this inventory is extremely wasteful and cost prohibitive which is why Toyota abstains from this practice. If you have ever hear of lean manufacturing it is based off this concept. You can read more about it here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Production_System

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I bought my 02 I wanted a 4X limited double cab moon roof white truck and the only colors for limited's was black, maroon and silver. Tried my local dealer, then a dealer a good friend had worked at for 25 years and they didn't want to order, ended up at Longo which is the largest in the U.S. (I think) and ordered exactly what I wanted and gave them a $500.00 check and waited three months and when it came in they said if I didn't want it they would give me my check back. I still have the truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts