TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this in the 4x4 forum before I realized there was a Fab/Tools section... So here it is, let me know what you guys think.
I'm getting a decent tax return this year and I plan on spending a good amount of it to buy a new Tool Chest / Rolling Cabinet & 393 piece craftsmen (doesnt have to be craftsmen) tool set for my garage. My question is this... Does anyone know where or how to get wholesale prices or good deals on tools? I've been checking and the setup I want is going to run me about $1200.
Any info would be good...

What are you guys spending your tax return on??

-Mechengr1

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Buy all of your ratchets and wrenches used. If they are craftsman, they have the lifetime return policy anyway. I usually just pick those up to keep a couple extra sets of wrenches around, and you can usually find them for 50% of new prices.

I just bought a 300 pc. set that was missing like 5 wrenches in austin for $75.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
harbor freight baby :D The college budget solution, but for 1,200, you can get a lot of HF tools, haha.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
CYi5 said:
harbor freight baby :D The college budget solution, but for 1,200, you can get a lot of HF tools, haha.
That is about the worst piece of advice I have seen on this board in quite sometime!

Harbor freight is okay for certain types of purchases, but to totally equip a home garage with their tools would be like flushing money down a toilet!

I am not saying all of Harbor Freight is crap! but 80% of it is!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Bear said:
That is about the worst piece of advice I have seen on this board in quite sometime!

Harbor freight is okay for certain types of purchases, but to totally equip a home garage with their tools would be like flushing money down a toilet!

I am not saying all of Harbor Freight is crap! but 80% of it is!
I couldn't agree more. I can't afford to be cheap when I buy tools, because it will bight me in the ass every time if I am. Like with anything, you typically get what you pay for and tools are definitely no exception.

·
Registered
17 Posts
def try and find used shit, go to flea markets, try ebay and craigs list even pawn shops, you might be able to pick up some snap-on, matco or mac stuff i'm a tech and i can tell you straight up if you buy shit you'll get some shity results. go with the nicest tools within your budget. tools like your truck "do it right the first time"

matt.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
CYi5 said:
You get what you pay for. You buy cheap, you get cheap. It's better to get quality over quanity. Can't go wrong with old craftsman or snap-on's.

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
hellataco said:
def try and find used shit, go to flea markets, try ebay and craigs list even pawn shops, you might be able to pick up some snap-on, matco or mac stuff i'm a tech and i can tell you straight up if you buy shit you'll get some shity results. go with the nicest tools within your budget. tools like your truck "do it right the first time"

matt.
You get what you pay for. Maybe try to call a Snap On or Mac tools salesmen and see if they got any " repo " tools you can get for a good deal. Just a thought .

·
Registered
17 Posts
repo stuff doesn't happen often, and when it does, it's gone fast. dont go totally cheap, but all the big names have lifetime warrenty on them. and they don't ask questions about how thing broke or where you got it.

matt.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Wonder how many tools you could actually use that you could get for what you are spending on that chest...
Not saying a nice tool chest isn't a nice thing to have- but if you are budget buying tools I would say buy purpose built tools first, then splurge on storage later, i.e. I'd rather drop 400 on a nice bender than a big tool chest at this point. The bender will pay for itself, the toolchest is just bling bling- I can turn every nut and bolt on my truck I need to out of a little tool bag.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts