TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night three rigs were buried on a hill on some trail. so being the nice guy i offered to come get them unstuck. By the time i got there only one was still stuck. A stock ford ranger at the bottom stuck in 33" ruts. i backed down the hill and hooked up to him with a strap. Yanked him he popped out and i kept pulling up the hill then i heard a loud ping noise and i stopped. My engine was rapping pretty loud. got it home but going 40mph cause the engine couldnt hold speed at 4th gear. this morning i drove it to a garage and the put a stethascope onto the engine and found the sound was coming from the exhaust side of the engine and thought it may be a spring let go or it skipped timing but i didnt want to pay him to tear it apart so here i stand broke and dont know what to do. Any ideas? or how much it would cost to rebuild the top end?

thanks for any advice

josh

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nooo the 2.7L 4 banger...no one can belive it. I didnt beat on it when i pulled him out at all....i dont know what the deal is. Im trying to sell it or trade it cause i have a friend with plenty of old toyotas for parts if i got a old toy but its to expensive to keep breaking stuff on a tacoma.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's coming from the right side of the engine the exhaust side. the mechanic thought it might be a sping had come loose on one of the cylinders.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Pull the valve cover and take a look. I haven't known Toyota engines to break valve springs, but anythings possible. I'd take a guess at a valve guide before a spring. Have you done a compression check to see if one of the cylinders is dead? Your probably looking at $450 for a head off valve job, not including extra parts, which can add up if you have burnt valves.

How many miles on the engine?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Pull the valve cover off and see if it is the valve spring. If it is its a good chance you may not have any damage if it didn't drop the valve. If it dropped the valve the engine would not usually turn past the valve, most times it bends the valve and shoves it back in the head sideways and does more that upper end damage it could junk the piston, rod etc.... It could have still bent the valve without dropping it but you would be able to tell pretty easy with the valve cover off. Put that cyl. on tdc, fill the cyl. with compressed air and pull the valve closed if it closes and holds air without leaking its good (listen with a stethoscope). You can also compare it to the valve stem next to it. If the valve in question is lower it would be a bent valve because of the valve not seating all the way...Becareful when putting compressed air in the cyl. it may cause the engine to turn over. Make sure the key is off it may start the engine not good. If it is a manual put it in gear and apply the e-brake to keep the engine from spinning, if it is a auto you will have to keep the engine from spinning...(breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt and put it against the frame...But anyways you have to take it apart to see what the problem is...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is it safe to drive to work tommorow? its only 10-15 min drive going 30 on back roads. i drove it today and runs fine just not high rpm's also once it warms up and i shut it off and try to start it again it turns over slow and seems hesitant to start.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I recomend that you don't even start anymore it untill you find out what the problem is for sure. It could be a fairly easy fix but it can turn into a junk engine pretty fast, depending on the problem.... I know it sucks I've been there, but trust me if you drive it and junk it that sucks a whole lot more....:2cents:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks i'll try to get it looked at tommorow. if i pull the valve cover off will i notice a major problem if it there? i dont have many tools myself but can get the cover off and check things out. i'll see what i can do tommorow and maybe take some photos of the valves when i get the cover off. thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Reading your last post it doesn't sound like a valve spring to me. An engine with a broken valve spring doesn't run better by varying rpm's...You really need to get it looked at by a good mechanic if you don't know how to do it yourself. If I was closer I'd look at it for you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if i hold a steady speed say in 4th gear, ill stay at a steady speed but then after a bit it'll start bogging down and i'll have to shift to 3rd and then the noise becomes louder and sounds like mashing metal screeching not too loud but noticiable. but i theres no power after 2k rpms it takes a bit to bring the rpms up. this is mostly in 3rd and 4th gear havent gotten it up faster than 45 for 5th. and when im in neutral it knocks and screeches a little bit

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no its normal sounding. once it warms up is when its the worse and cranks over hard trying to start it again..like its taking alot of battery juice to crank it over.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
once its warmed up it makes noise idleing. its a knocking noise and kinda fades away and comes back off and on

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the mechanic put a stethascope up to the engine and said the noise could be heard from the oil pan but very faint and he went around the whole engine and pin pointed it to the right side of the engine on the exhaust side. he said the noise also was very pronounced through the bell housing

1 - 20 of 35 Posts