TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
somewhere someone is whispering about a hardtop convertible FJ
any ideas when? probably in a couple years so everyone will abandon theirs now for that.
peace

·
Registered
779 Posts
yes there is a prototype i believe and there was a FJ online with a convertible top, ebay i think it was.. going for over 50,000 USD :eek: hopefully the real FJ will shine through in the next generation models more so than the first new ones... Toyota knows thats what America want by now hopefully.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You know...I see all these old hot rod guys choppin and channeling 70 year old heaps of steel and ending up with show cars...I need one of these talented old buggers to hack the top off my FJ so I don't have to buy a Jeep for sunny days...the FJ is better than any Wrangler I've owned in every way except for the shortage of sunshine...my Sawzall has been whispering to me...it's saying things...I'm trying to ignore it

·
Registered
758 Posts
my Sawzall has been whispering to me...it's saying things...I'm trying to ignore it
x2. Chopping the top and caging the inside is something that I want to do, just don't know when exactly it will happen. Jason and I have already talked about it a little, but nothing serious yet. I would like to do it in a way that the top can be made removable like the older 4Runners. Run a custom can-back style top in the spring/summer and the hardtop in the winter.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
It will be interesting if they do it.. from talking to various techs the issue has to do with the strcture and rollover, right now when the doors are closed the point between the front and rear doors becomes a support structure, with a removable roof they would loose that plus need to find anotherway for the doors to connect at the top. So if Toyota realy does do it it's going to look way diffrent than the current FJ's.

With a do-it-yourself job you could build the connection into the rollcage, and I wouldn't do one without a rollcage.

·
Registered
427 Posts
They could just scrap the half door on the convertable and make the fronts seats fold and slide to accomidate the rear seat.

·
Registered
306 Posts
They could just scrap the half door on the convertable and make the fronts seats fold and slide to accomidate the rear seat.
This is more of what I was thinking. Scrap the back doors if you are doing a removable top and make them into a permanent half door with roll bar there to create the extra support.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What if I keep the B-pillar and go for a targa type of thing? Keep a little structure for support. I keep hoping someone braver and more talented than myself with tear into one and I can scrutinize the details of their work. I don't really dig the few convertible FJs I've seen pictures of. There seems to be too many concessions made in the name of retaining a soft top. I'd rather a cleaner look and maybe a bikini top across the roll cage. Of course, that will officially make it a weekend and sunny day toy here in the Northeast.

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like the placement of the roll bar on that custom one, but the soft top just doesn't cut it. Hopefully Toyota doesn't follow this custom job and actually engineers it better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Saw one at a dealer about 6 months ago. It was on sale or anything. Just in the show room. didn't take any pictures unfortunately.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Not bad with the top down, but hideous with it up... I'll stick with the Webasto Panorama roof when my tax refund comes through next year.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Well they did a nice job solving the crossmember support and door latch.. but it would be way better if the half door windows could roll down too. Doesn't look right with the top down and those windows in place. Not bad, any way you make it a convertable it will look somewhat the same as this, unless they make it a removable hardtop, or like the new Jeep with the pop off roof sections..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts