TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come to the conclusion that my torque converter isn't pumping any fluid. Does anyone know why this might have happenned?

·
Registered
773 Posts
low on fluid? Have you ever had your transmission out? If so, did you ever remove the torque converter? If so, did you install it back correctly. It has to align perfectly with the shaft (I don't know the technical name) in side of the transmission.. If not then it won't work.. I've got my transmission down now, so if you need me to check something let me know.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Ladykiller said:
I have come to the conclusion that my torque converter isn't pumping any fluid. Does anyone know why this might have happenned?

The torque converter is the 'clutch' of the Automatic Transmission... it couples the engine to the transmission... and the first thing the torque converter drives in the transmission is the hydraulic pump. Like was mentioned the torque converter slides over a couple of shafts and must be lined up correctly when it is installed...if not, it will be sticking too far out and when the transmision is bolted up to the engine, the torque converter, the pump and a few other parts may be damaged.

If you are dealing with some other issue as to why you aren't getting fluid, answer a few questions:

HOW do you know you aren't getting fluid flow?

WHERE are you checking this?

WHAT brought you to this situation?

WHAT have you tried / modified ?

WHAT are you working on (year/model/modifications to vehicle)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
What have you done too come up with this counclusion? Need more info on your troubleshooting preformed. I could guess and say your transfer case is in neutral and you cann't go anywhere?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1995.5 Tacoma with a 1998 engine(just installed).
I pulled each coolant line with the engine running. There would be very little fluid, if any, coming out of either of the lines no matter the rpm of the engine.(I tested each line seperately). I concluded the fluid pump was not pumping fluid. I pulled the tranny to check to see if the two pins that drive the pump or the notched coupling that mates with the pins were damaged. There is no visible signs of damage to either. Could I have pushed the pump into the tranny or bent the torque converter in? I did alot of measuring and everything seems to be to toyota's specs. The transfer case is OK and was in gear. Any suggestions would help. I'm guesing the pump is bad for some reason. I want to know what is wrong that would make this thing go out if in fact I didn't install it incorrectly the first time

1 - 6 of 6 Posts