TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What touch up paint would you guys recommend? I have a place that was worn down to the point that it's starting to rust (just in the last 2 weeks since I removed the source of the damage), so I want to get this fixed ASAP.

I saw one touch up paint commercial where the pen comes with a fiberglass scratcher on one end to remove rust, but can't remember the name of it. I know I will have to remove the rust and put on a primer to make sure this doesn't get worse.

Just wanted to find out what you guys have tried and if what you thought of the product. My paint code is 3H7 (Red), if that matters.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CronusTRD said:
Get a Body shop to mix you up a batch using your paint code.
I realize that this is an option, and I have a friend who runs a body shop if I decide to go that way. It's really not a big enough spot to warrant going through getting a paint mixed (and I think the lowest amount the mix recipes go down to is a pint or 1/2 pint, and I sure don't need that much paint).

I was asking if anyone had had good or bad experiences with different brands of touch-up paint. So, does anyone have a certain brand of touch-up paint they would recommend?

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Jamier2 said:
I was asking if anyone had had good or bad experiences with different brands of touch-up paint. So, does anyone have a certain brand of touch-up paint they would recommend?
I went down to the dealership and paid $5.87 for their OEM touch up paint. I had a bunch of small rock chips from freeway use on the front piece under the headlights that's attached to the grille. It works good and used carefully could look really good. I did an okay job and some need another coat since it's white and the primer is showing through some.

For rust I would recommend Rustoleum's Rust Stripper. It works great.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Rustoleum's Rust Stripper is like a paint substance? And I should add a primer before the touch up paint? Thanks!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Matt said:
For rust I would recommend Rustoleum's Rust Stripper. It works great.
Right now it's very very minor and the worn spot is only about 1/8" wide, so I'm going to use a folded piece of sandpaper to get it off before I prime it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CYi5 said:
Rustoleum's Rust Stripper is like a paint substance? And I should add a primer before the touch up paint? Thanks!
The rust stripper is to use before you primer/paint it to remove any rust.

If a scratch is down to the metal you should prime it before painting.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The stuff i got from the dealership was way to runny and thin. just fyi.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
KStacoma
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing