TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a good small run.
3 Rig total, but for what the park was like probably a reasonable size group.
Had fun,
did a lot of blues, Andy will have to fill you in later on which trails we ran,
I was too busy familiarizing myself with the truck and seeing what the new UCA's did with the flex of the front.

Pics to come with my usual commentary, but it was a blast!
Thank You Andy for getting the run going, it was nice to get out even though it was pretty damn cold lol.

My next trip is probably not going to be till Spring, there is some tweaking I have yet to do to my Runner, including fixing the fuel gauge sender.....

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
At the staging area, ah truck finally back where she belongs

Andy Going up first section of Yellow Jacket I believe....

Went back to the staging area to drop off JT and went to play in the Comp Course a little

Andy had gone around to try to take a different path into the section for the course I was in there, well there was a slight issues

It was up to my knees

To get pulled out, he had to get under the truck to get the strap around his axle

We all notice at some point that the trip home was going to be interesting with the caked frozen snow in our tires

So after that we lined up for a group shot of the Guys that made it out

After that Zach and Andy played a little more in the course, only got some shots of Zach though

The we continued down the trails and Andy found a spot where he wanted to try to get a new profile pic, fitting for the rest of the day that it was right next to a tree

So we continued on, did a bit of crawlers ridge and then got on Trail 2 which I believe was a blue.
I was taking up the rear and this is where my day and thankfully the end got interesting.
First Andy went up the trail, fine, got to the Top and over the CB suggested that I take a small bypass to the right cause there was a large rock at the left that might give issue,
Then as he finished his sentence on the CB Zach had finished going up the same way and said that as long as we hug the left of the rock to the left we would be fine,
Unfortunately dumbass me had already started to go cause I saw what momentum was going to be need to get up before the split so after all said and done by the other to I was feeling like "which way do I go George, which way do I go" and last minute went right..... right into a nice slide right into a Tree.....

So since none of us had a winch, it was tow strap and come-a-long time...
First was to get me out of the spot I fell into

Next was to get me on to some trail that had some traction

And thats all the pictures I have,
My final carnage is a dented rear tailgate with an window that wont go down,
I pulled a Dave on the hill that I remember Bruce going up and sliding down one winter run right into a tree....
and the Dent on the door....

Still a great time

·
Registered
422 Posts
Great time doesnt say enough, that was a blast! The only thing you left out was my little sticky situation that you had to pull me out of :doh: but I dont think theres any pictures of that, thankfully. I think you're right on the group size too, we would have had a little more trouble on some of the harder blues if we had more people. I had an awesome time and I have a little more faith in my Runner now and I am all but completely done with that old red POS thats rotting out in the field! Now to let the 4Runner thaw out and see whats really broken! Thanks for the good time, guys!!!:kewl:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't say almost Dave I said I did.
I backed into a tree like you did

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sick pics looks like there was some nice fresh snow on the trails. How slippery was it I remeber going to Paragon when it was all iced up and snowy and it was interesting to say the least defintly made things tricky, needed lots of momentum.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sick pics looks like there was some nice fresh snow on the trails. How slippery was it I remeber going to Paragon when it was all iced up and snowy and it was interesting to say the least defintly made things tricky, needed lots of momentum.
Andy took us down some trails that hadnt been wheeled yet and he led the way to make the trail so it wasnt really iced up yet. I run open/open and only had trouble in 1 spot where I broke through the ice over a little mud hole and high centered but Avvy got me pulled out in no time other than that there was just a little bit of clutch dumping on my end to get over some spots :driving:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Had a great time, made me want to bring my rig, but o'well. Looks like you guys had all the fun after I left. After wheeling with Andy in his 4 Runner with front ARB, I think I will pull my front diff before wheeling this year and weld it up, it made a big difference.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Had a great time, made me want to bring my rig, but o'well. Looks like you guys had all the fun after I left. After wheeling with Andy in his 4 Runner with front ARB, I think I will pull my front diff before wheeling this year and weld it up, it made a big difference.
Things got a little hairy for Avvy after you left, we called it a day after we got him situated.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I pulled a Dave on the hill that I remember Bruce going up and sliding down one winter run right into a tree....
and the Dent on the door....

Still a great time
You mean the hill climb next to Frog Hole? If so that's the same spot where I almost t-boned Adam cause he decided to take the bypass while I was still sliding down the hill!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
You mean the hill climb next to Frog Hole? If so that's the same spot where I almost t-boned Adam cause he decided to take the bypass while I was still sliding down the hill!
He did it at the entrance to 2. It was kinda crazy how much traction there actually was with the snow. Andy did the hill climb at Frog Hole and on the way down just put it in double low first geared and it creeped right down without sliding at all.

He gave Yellow Jacket a shot, but couldn't get over the first ledge due to ice and hhis rear diff catching. Bigger tires and he would have gotten further.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really wasn't pay attention to the Trails we did,
Just tried to follow the right line (which failed miserably)

Also I think I have convinced my friend there is more to off-roading then just mud.
Though I couldn't get him out of his Heep....
So I see me helping him lift that along with lots of trimming....

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
He did it at the entrance to 2. It was kinda crazy how much traction there actually was with the snow. Andy did the hill climb at Frog Hole and on the way down just put it in double low first geared and it creeped right down without sliding at all.

He gave Yellow Jacket a shot, but couldn't get over the first ledge due to ice and hhis rear diff catching. Bigger tires and he would have gotten further.
When I tried it during the 2nd run, it was all ice. I gave it hell though! :D

And Yellow Jacket is a bitch if there is any kind of ice on it. A puddle forms right before the climb, and just far enough back that your back tires are sitting on ice as well as the front.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine was dumb ass stupidity lol,
Tomorrow at work if I am feeling better
I am going to pull the truck into the shop,
let it thaw out and try to bang that dent back a little so I can at least open my rear window.

I am thinking of saving for a front locker too.

·
PA VP
987 Posts
oh boy all this talk about front lockers in IFS rigs means someone better be carrying extra cv shafts :D

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
oh boy all this talk about front lockers in IFS rigs means someone better be carrying extra cv shafts :D
i think i started something. ive always carried a cv with me. but can't speak for everyone else.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I carry one with me as well, along with a spare t-case output and birfield joint just in case :)

I'm not too worried about breaking a CV or two or even the diff, just means it is time to do the SAS :D

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not too worried about breaking a CV or two or even the diff, just means it is time to do the SAS :D
I carry one too
I have broken both CVs and a Diff
I should have SAS'd by now :rolleyes:
IF something else goes then the :saw: and :welder: begin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
9 Participants
Klierslc
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing