21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
great trip report Shawn. Glad I got to witness half of it so I could skip the epic narrative and keep the reading to a minimum.

(and the sheep was in the back of the tow rig for most of the trip. we saw it :p)

·
7,735 Posts
Nice trip report. Some day I'll do Carnage in under 9 hours, I think we were out there for 12 this time? You're wife seemed to be kind of pissed, but I guess that's understandable with having something go wrong every day of the vacation.

Congrats on the sheep, I hadn't heard. You should try one of the mountain goats next time, just watch out for the ones that kick (unless you're into that sort of thing).

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Am I the only one that read the whole thing??? damn...
Nope, you're not the only one who read the whole thing, Jade. :cool: Talk about an epic trip (and trip report)! Igor has one that's long as well, but his is more pics and less text. Eventually if things slow down at work I will get some pics and maybe some video footage posted up from this trip too. Melanie rolled quite a lot of footage from 21 rd and Carnage Canyon (before dark anyway). Thanks for the pics & trip report, Shawn!

BTW, if its any consolation... though not always for the same reasons, you weren't the only one with an angry wife on your hands this trip. :eek: There were some tense moments along the way in our camp as well, but also a lot of incredible moments were shared. In the end the overall trip was an amazing time, as it is every summer when we go up to CO for wheeling, camping, etc. Melanie has been speaking highly of the trip to our friends at work down here in San Diego, so it seems as though in retrospect the balance fell onto the positive side for her, which is GREAT!

Taking Zilla through all of those scenic high elevation passes with you guys, and then wheeling Poughkipsie Gulch, 21 rd, Holy Cross, Iron Chest, and the first 2/3 of Carnage Canyon was a ton of fun - and up to that point aside from being underpowered in the thin high elevation air the 4Runner was doing alright! :D ...That last third of Carnage Canyon when it all went to Hell with Zilla is obviously another long and regrettable story, starting when the front diff let go. :eek: :(

I'd say that some major kudos and good wheeling Karma were certainly earned that night on CC by Shawn, Doug, Igor and Jay. I remember a run with another club when we ended up dragging 12 IFS rigs through Swamp Lake a few years ago for a 19-hour overnight trail run that was supposed to take 2 1/2 hours according to one of the locals. Epic recoveries like that can be a huge pain in the ass to be sure... but they do make great campfire stories! I will say this... I've been involved with some pretty epic trail recoveries, but none of them ever really bothered me until mine was the rig being recovered. :eek: Already started the six million dollar man rebuilding of Zilla to be "better, faster, stronger" or something like that. I forget how the quote goes exactly. But the newly rebuilt third member and pinion e-brake parts are sitting in the Taco right now. :cool:

Glad to see you and the little lady fit in some more enjoyable camping, hiking, etc together before heading home, Jeepguy. Melanie and I enjoyed a few relaxing days at Doug's place before we headed back. Had some terrific dinners there... a nice evening at the Italian place (good wine), and some fabulous meals were cooked at his house while sampling more local brews. As always, it was great to see and wheel with everyone again. I'll look forward to the next trip out that way!

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
OK, more pics, less reading...... I'm into pics...... :p

Great trip guys....... Summer '12 right here..... you colorado guys be prepared for me to hit you up for some help........

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
OK, more pics, less reading...... I'm into pics...... :p
Did I'r use to big a der werds for ya der?

You only read pop-up books, don't you? :rolleyes:

Great trip guys....... Summer '12 right here..... you colorado guys be prepared for me to hit you up for some help........
....a LOT of help :suicide: I can hear it now...."I'm not going to scratch it, am I?" "Oooo.......Avatar pic, avatar pic!" :rofl:

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
And here are the cliff notes...

Classic pic right here.... So bummed I missed it!

Next up was French Creek. This is where it becomes an all day shit show, as Doug like to put it
. next it was my turn (on Cleveland rock). I was determined to get this bitch. This was a monkey on my back and I wanted it. I pulled up to it, got on my line and gave her hell. I couldn’t crawl up, so I tried some throttle…nothing. Tried a different line…notta. Tried another line…no go. Tried my original line again….denied.
It started to climb the V-notch and I knew I was in business. I stayed with it and got up it! Unassisted on my own! Get some! Cleavand Rock may have denied me the other day, but this bitch was mine!
What an epic story... And I'm only now getting to the Big Bang! Oh I can't tell what joy this web wheeling brings me as I lie in bed while a machine moves my left leg from 0 degrees to 90 and back. Begin obnoxious sex toy jokes/

. Reserving this quote spot by Molly since copying and pasting is a BITCH on an iPAD
Ok... HOLY crazy recovery SHIT!

Doug pulls John over a couple rocks and gets him to the hard left we’re going to have to get him around. Then Doug has to maneuver his truck to the next position by Austin Powers driving BACKWARDS up the trail.
Your now non-mythical wife is an angel...

It took 2 years in the making, 2 quarts of gear oil, 2 SPAL fans, 3 late nights on the trail, 1 EPIC recovery, and 4 new trailer tires but I finally did it. I wheeled the most scenic trail in Ouray, got to Telluride, visited 3 breweries, wheeled Holy Cross, made it through Carnage unassisted, got out of the heat for 2 weeks, finally hiked Pike’s Peak to Barr Camp, hiked in a new area in Santa Fe, and got to see some friends I haven’t seen in a while. Not exactly as planed, but still a great trip nonetheless. Can’t wait to go back and hit the stuff I missed.

And a fantastic story Shawn! :D

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Did I'r use to big a der werds for ya der?

You only read pop-up books, don't you? :rolleyes:
Evidently the real Jeepguy had to type this message all by himself. Momma musta been passed out already and couldnt do it for ya. ;)

....a LOT of help :suicide: I can hear it now...."I'm not going to scratch it, am I?" "Oooo.......Avatar pic, avatar pic!" :rofl:
Yep.... that and places to camp. Not in a hurry to get in the raisin club.... want a few more years outta this cab..... cant be as cool as you guys and all your skills for dragging shit through a trail. I'm too old to think wrinkles are cool. :rolleyes:

Dont get the avatar pic????

·
7,735 Posts
You'll want to stay away from Carnage canyon then. But Holy Cross should be on your must do list.

You all should post up on the CO board if/when you come out. We're always looking to go wheel with some out of state folk.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
You'll want to stay away from Carnage canyon then. But Holy Cross should be on your must do list.

You all should post up on the CO board if/when you come out. We're always looking to go wheel with some out of state folk.
Thanks Doug, I plan on hittin up the CO board when it gets a little closer.... I also plan on hittin up Carnage Canyon (at the end of our trip in case things go bad then all I gotta do is drag it home)...... Even though the local malls are my usual hangout I like to get a actual trail in now and then..... Most around here know that.....

I dont know why guys think I don't scratch my junk..... its pretty beat. No one comes out to wheel with me to see the wrinkles.

·
7,735 Posts
AWESOME WRITE UP AND STORY!

now, where the pics of where carnage canyon gets tough?
There's only 3 spots that slow you down.

This is the v-notch for this trail. If you hunt around on youtube, it typically ends up either like this, or over on the driver side. with leaf spring setup and a shitty driver:

But here's a pic from CO4RJ of basically the same line with links and a good driver:

The squeeze (pix stolen from Igor's thread). doesn't look bad, but there's a diff catcher just about under John's passenger rear that fucks up approach:

and the exit:
good pic of how steep the approach is:

the top:

And some vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN2GJUhq3pU

21 - 40 of 72 Posts