TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A quick question for the TRD Sport/Offroad guys...

When looking at the front of my Sport there is a bolted on tie-down on the left side, and a welded on tie-down on the right.

The bolt on one is just a little thing with a 90deg bend and a small eye hole. I'm pretty sure it's only for shipping.

The one on the right is welded on, and I get the impression that it's for towing, but it's near impossible to put a hook or shackle on... the only thing that seems to fit is to feed a nylon tug strap through it and attach it basket style to the tow rig.

So...long story short...

1) Is the welded one on the right meant for towing, and if it is does anyone know it's rating (I'm a little nervous about using a welded on hook), and

2) The bolted on eye hole one on the left is attached using two offset bolts. Does the hook that comes stock with the TRD Offroad also have offset holes?

Basically, I'm thinking I'm going to have to order the Toyota one so that the holes match up... I'd rather do that than try to fill the hole in and re-drill another.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, I read that one already but it doesn't really answer my questions....

To illustrate;

The tie down on the left side (looking at the front of the truck) is just a bent piece of metal with a hole in it. I'd like to mount a proper tow hook there but the bolts are offset and I would like to know if the one that comes with the TRD Offroad has offset holes to match in it?

Also, does anyone know if the welded one on the right is actually meant for towing, and if it is what is the load rating on it?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
No. putting the Reece tow hook on the stock holes doesn't work.

I Put mine in there like this:

It's upside down, but it sorta looked like it was going to work.

Then, I bumped it gently into the dirt coming down off of a pretty steep incline.

Bent the crap out of it.

Now, the hook is sitting in there cockeyed.

I can tell that the length of the hook gives it too much leverage for the strength of the frame and those bolts.

attempting a difficult extraction with that hook is going to snatch it off of there.

We need a good tow point that can be welded to the frame up there.

As it stands right now, there is no way to put a strap on the front of the truck and pull it out if it gets stuck.

Somebody needs to design something. (Shrockworks: hint hint)

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
fast frank said:
No. putting the Reece tow hook on the stock holes doesn't work.

I Put mine in there like this:

It's upside down, but it sorta looked like it was going to work.

Then, I bumped it gently into the dirt coming down off of a pretty steep incline.

Bent the crap out of it.

Now, the hook is sitting in there cockeyed.

I can tell that the length of the hook gives it too much leverage for the strength of the frame and those bolts.

attempting a difficult extraction with that hook is going to snatch it off of there.

We need a good tow point that can be welded to the frame up there.

Somebody needs to design something. (Shrockworks: hint hint)
We have its the 05-07 front bumper :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just ordered an ARB so :p

but until then this is buggin me.

Just thought of somthing
What about the tow hooks that are factory on a jeep tj

might be a little cock eyed

or

drill through the frame like so

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hey ScreamingTaco,
I bought this hook from 4wheelparts and it bolted right up to my 06 sport where that tie down was on the pasenger side.

Here's a pic of mine:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes, the Toyota Offroad hook bolts right in. Get the new bolts with the hook. P/N 51961-35080. I don't have the bolt numbers handy.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
can somebody show me a pic of the hook that's on the off road?

I didn't realize they were different.

Can you actually attach a strap to this hook?

Is it strong enough to do the job?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is the circled object apart of that hook? And if it is, is it big enough (or even meant) to put a shackle through?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes, it's part of the hook. No, you can't put a shackle through it.It's only a tie down point for shipping. For crying out loud, There's a big, beefy fucking hook there and you"re wondering where to put a shackle on it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
good one

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I'm going to have to price that tow hook.

If it's not a hundred bucks it might be the easiest way to solve the tow point problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts