TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a small utility trailer. It'd make life easier for moving motorcycles and riding mower. I'm a total towing newb. My tacoma already has the tow package but I dont have a hitch or tow balls.

Thanks!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Wait if you have the tow package you should have the receiver right? Just go to any store basically to get the ball, in receiver format. Should be Class III.

·
Registered
44 Posts
brosher said:
I am thinking about getting a small utility trailer. It'd make life easier for moving motorcycles and riding mower. I'm a total towing newb. My tacoma already has the tow package but I dont have a hitch or tow balls.

Thanks!
You get a ball to match the trailer. Depending on what size the hitch on the trailer is, you will get a different ball size. Before you buy the trailer ask whoever youre buying from what size ball you need. Then go down to your local shop and pick one up.

·
Registered
606 Posts
rickosuave1987 said:
You get a ball to match the trailer. Depending on what size the hitch on the trailer is, you will get a different ball size. Before you buy the trailer ask whoever youre buying from what size ball you need. Then go down to your local shop and pick one up.
Or, just buy one of those quick change deals if you got the cash. Never know when you'll need to borrow someone elses trailer.

·
Bear's Chauffeur
2,240 Posts
I have got a reciever that has a 2in ball on one side and an 1 7/8in on the other and that will get most all your trailers. As most little trailers have the 1 7/8 and most others have a 2in hope that helps.

·
Registered
449 Posts
2" balls are by far the most common. It makes sense to know what the trailer requires first but if you have to guess it's probably 2". Everything uhaul rents is 2". As for the drop, the depends on the trailer too. Probably a 2 1/2" drop is a good guess.

Ideally you would know more about the trailer before you bought the ball.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jester_motorsports said:
What area are you located Brosher???
Upstate NY.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll goto the auto store this afternoon and see what they have.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The amount of drop you will need is dependant on how hight the hitch on the traler is. On level ground level the traler and mesure to the top of the coulpler, then mesure to the top of your recever. You will then know what the difference is and your ball mount will need that much drop. Do not forget to take into consderation how tall your ball is. Say you have a differnce of 5", and your ball is 2" tall then you will need a drop of 3". I hope this helps.

·
Registered
215 Posts
yeah hitch balls are available in 1 7/8, 2 and 2 5/16 with no real "standard" size. ball mounts are another thing, available in drops of 2, 4, 6, etc. as a guide (not steadfast rule) you should have around 18" to the top of the ball.

hope that helps,

Jason

1 - 12 of 12 Posts