TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 dbl cab Tacoma with 6 spd manual trans came without the tow package. I'd like to haul a small livestock trailer, and am trying to decide whether I should get the "tow package" from Toyota or if I should just buy an aftermarket tow hitch receiver and wiring harness and hook it up myself.

I haven't asked the dealer yet what they would want to install the tow package, but I'm assuming it's going to be a lot, right?

Is it necessary to have a bigger alternator for a small livestock trailer?

What else does the tow package from Toyota come with?

Thanks for your help,

Shane

·
Registered
224 Posts
Package also includes a larger battery, tranny oil cooler(which you dont need), engine oil cooler and a harness for trailer brake wiring. How much weight are you going to be pulling?

·
Registered
892 Posts
rynosurf said:
Package also includes a larger battery, tranny oil cooler(which you dont need), engine oil cooler and a harness for trailer brake wiring. How much weight are you going to be pulling?
I'm not sure the manual tranny toys come with any 'coolers'.

I know the Automatic comes with Tranny & engine oil cooler - but I'm not sure if hte manual comes with any of those. I've been trying to research myself.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The manual dose not come with the cooler, they cant install all of that for very cheep. Just get the class 4 hitch from toyota and have them install it or do it yourself.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 05 reg cab 2.7 5 spd man. 4x4 has a engine oil cooler. bought it that way. I'm looking for the window sticker so i can tell you the code #
I didn't order mine, it was brand new on the lot. So what ever the dealer order. Mine is a plane Jane CD,AC, NO power windows or locks, NO colored key bumpers. Came with the Grand Trecks and steel wheels. When I read "Oil Cooler" on the window sticker. I poped the hood and crawled underneath and to my delight there it was. The very first time I looked at the truck, I thought Toyota had some funky extra AC radiator thing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have an 07 DC TRD OR auto with the tow package. The window sticker says "TO" for the tow package. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
313 Posts
From Toyota's website: Class-4 towing hitch, transmission oil cooler (automatic transmission models), supplemental engine oil cooler, heavy-duty battery, 130-amp alternator and 7-pin connector with converter

·
Registered
313 Posts
I dont think they can add the engine cooler or tranny cooler (automatic only) very easily. Its not really NEEDED unless your towing the max rating or towing a good ammount on a very hot day with the ac cranked etc...

·
Registered
278 Posts
K20Z3Si said:
I dont think they can add the engine cooler or tranny cooler (automatic only) very easily. Its not really NEEDED unless your towing the max rating or towing a good ammount on a very hot day with the ac cranked etc...

I agree, If my truck did'nt come with the engine oil cooler I would'nt miss or need it. But, if you got a Automatic trans? The transmission oil cooler is a good Idea and it is an easy install. The bigger battery and 130amp alternator
is a very good Idea. You don't want to stress your battery or charging system. I don't know how cold it gets were you are,but cold+over worked battery=OH NO!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
K20Z3Si said:
The manual dose not come with the cooler, they cant install all of that for very cheep. Just get the class 4 hitch from toyota and have them install it or do it yourself.
That sounds like a good idea. I may do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rynosurf said:
I'm not sure, as I don't have the trailer yet. I'd like to find a trailer that could haul up to about 20 lambs that are around 60 lbs each. So about 1200lbs worth of cargo, and then whatever the trailer weighs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How Important is the Engine Oil Cooler?

Should I get Toyota to add the engine oil cooler just to be safe? I don't want to overheat the engine...

Thanks for all of you guys' advice.

Shane

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I dont remember who, but one of the guys on here added the oil cooler to his 4.0, with a 6-speed. It wasnt cheap, but wasnt too hard. It also requires a new H20 pump, as the oil cooler works off of coolant. Its a warmer/cooler. It helps the oil warm up quicker, and stay the same temp as the coolant when working the motor hard.

The alternator is probally a difficult upgrade, but unless you have a trailer that draws a lot and needs a good recharge you should be fine.

I just picked my 07 up with a Tow Package, man talk about a stout receiver :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Shaneshawaii said:
Should I get Toyota to add the engine oil cooler just to be safe? I don't want to overheat the engine...

Thanks for all of you guys' advice.

Shane

If it starts to over heat pull over and let it cool down, If the temp gets over normal then I would be worried myself. It dose not really need the coolers. Just go buy the hitch from Toyota.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
K20Z3Si said:
If it starts to over heat pull over and let it cool down, If the temp gets over normal then I would be worried myself. It dose not really need the coolers. Just go buy the hitch from Toyota.
Personally I think the coolers are the most important part of the TO package. On the auto the cooler is crutial, even still I will be adding a trans temp gauge. The oil cooler is also key when working the engine hard as it will keep all the internal fluids at a more uniform temperature, which is better for the engine, espically as its an aluminum block.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The tranny cooler is the most important for towing ...Tranny coolers can be 'added' if you don't currently have one on your Auto tranny.

The engine oil cooler isn't as important. Your radiator and cooling system should be able to keep the engine cool, atleast within specs. Always keep an eye on your temp gauges too.

·
Registered
313 Posts
ah64id said:
Personally I think the coolers are the most important part of the TO package. On the auto the cooler is crutial, even still I will be adding a trans temp gauge. The oil cooler is also key when working the engine hard as it will keep all the internal fluids at a more uniform temperature, which is better for the engine, espically as its an aluminum block.
How dose the ATF cooler work? Dose it get used under normal driving conditions?

Personally I think the towing package is a rip off, the hitch is the only part I see that makes any sense and they charge like 800 dollars for it!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
K20Z3Si said:
How dose the ATF cooler work? Dose it get used under normal driving conditions?

Personally I think the towing package is a rip off, the hitch is the only part I see that makes any sense and they charge like 800 dollars for it!

The tow package is 650, and its a DAMN good deal. Probally one of the best deals on the options on the new tacomas. The aux trans cooler is inline with the normal cooler in the radiator. It is of decent size. I will know more of how it works when I put my trans temp gauge in. The preisntalled wiring harness is also huge, as aftermarket ones are never as nice. The alternator is also bigger, a big plus for towing and winching. A 130 amp alternator is far from small...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check out www.etrailer.com.
I got the Valley Class III Trailer Hitch Receiver #V82790 & I love it.
Yes it's a class III not a class IV but with 5,000 lbs Gross Towing & 500 lbs Tongue weight & 6,000 / 600 with weight distributing. The hitch is $125 & the wiring harness is $40 which hooks right up to your tailights. Install takes at most an hour and it tucks up under the bumper for a nice clean factory look.

I think the genuine toyota Class IV hitch is essentially a Class III that is considered a class IV if factory installed, whatever that means. You can get the hitch for about $240 from http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-PT791-04050.aspx?MakeID=1 but you still need to get the wiring harness.

Whatever you do, do not go to the dealer. They'll charge you an arm and leg for the factory hitch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts