TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wheres the best place to get a new one and what size do you run? Just lost the one handed down to me.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a 3" wide x 30' long strap from Wheeler's that kicks a$$.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Tacobike said:
I got a 2" rated for 10,000lbs and has two massive locking hooks on the ends. Is this strong enough?
metal hooks? If so, no, you need one with loops on each end, not hooks. Those things are lethal if the strap comes loose or breaks.

get one like this: http://www.okoffroad.com/stuff-recoverystrap.htm

·
Registered
469 Posts
That sucks that the ones without the metal hooks are so high. I got a cheap metal-hook strap for $10 at Napa, but it looks like that was pretty much a waste. I know I need a strap if I'm going wheeling, but I hate to pay $50 for one. I've seen some on eBay, but who knows about the quality when you get some of the crap off there.

·
norcal n00b
802 Posts
hytenor said:
metal hooks? If so, no, you need one with loops on each end, not hooks. Those things are lethal if the strap comes loose or breaks.

get one like this: http://www.okoffroad.com/stuff-recoverystrap.htm
lol, even the loops are lethal if not put on properly. Next time you see my truck, check out the massive dent in my tailgate that looks like the tow strap loop-end. ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Jamier2 said:
That sucks that the ones without the metal hooks are so high. I got a cheap metal-hook strap for $10 at Napa, but it looks like that was pretty much a waste. I know I need a strap if I'm going wheeling, but I hate to pay $50 for one. I've seen some on eBay, but who knows about the quality when you get some of the crap off there.
buy a good quality strap; it will save your ass some day ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Zackattak said:
lol, even the loops are lethal if not put on properly. Next time you see my truck, check out the massive dent in my tailgate that looks like the tow strap loop-end. ;)
thats for sure, LOL Did you see that vid from last winter where this guy is trying to yank a buddy's truck out of a frozen mud hole? Vaaarrrooooommmm....SNAP!!! Takes out the tailgate with the bulk of the strap and the broken end goes right through the rear window and out the windshield onto the hood. Until you watch it in slow-mo you can't even see it happen. It missed taking the driver's head off by about 8".

Ok, found it...it didn't take out the front windshield but did pretty well destroy it crack-wise and the tail gate was just bashed in.

I could upload it to the norcal site but our server would probably crash, LOL

·
norcal n00b
802 Posts
hytenor said:
thats for sure, LOL Did you see that vid from last winter where this guy is trying to yank a buddy's truck out of a frozen mud hole? Vaaarrrooooommmm....SNAP!!! Takes out the tailgate with the bulk of the strap and the broken end goes right through the rear window and out the windshield onto the hood. Until you watch it in slow-mo you can't even see it happen. It missed taking the driver's head off by about 8".
Thats crazy, but I believe it. I was trying to pull a buddy out at the Hollister mud pit. I guess it wasn't put on properly on his side, but when i went to pull him i just heard a huge thud. I saw it and thought to myself that at least it was my tailgate and not someone sitting around there or something.

·
Registered
203 Posts
tacopia said:
Wheres the best place to get a new one and what size do you run? Just lost the one handed down to me.
I got the ProComp 3"x30' with leather wrapped loop ends. It's nice and works well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have a 2"x30' with a 20,000 pound rating that has worked numberous amounts of times. pulled out a land rover sunk in thick mud up to about the top of the hood, a f150 sunk all 4 tires (31's) in mud, pull my taco out when water was coming in the doors... I know that the procomp 2"x30' has worked perfectly well for me and if ur not pulling anything bigger than a taco it will be more than enough.

·
norcal n00b
802 Posts
allen8802 said:
i have a 2"x30' with a 20,000 pound rating that has worked numberous amounts of times. pulled out a land rover sunk in thick mud up to about the top of the hood, a f150 sunk all 4 tires (31's) in mud, pull my taco out when water was coming in the doors... I know that the procomp 2"x30' has worked perfectly well for me and if ur not pulling anything bigger than a taco it will be more than enough.
Yeah I just got that one after my old one broke, it's very strong.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I got the ProComp 3"x30' as well. I have pulled out friends and have had them pull other people out many times. Just like a month back, a jeep SUV went with us, 4 inches of lift and 33" muds. Went down into a creek and couldn't get back out the muddy embankment. We used my strap to pull him out and it held :) Got mine for like $60+... but its worth it.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I have good luck with tow straps from TSC, affordable and they have them almost as big as you can imagine. Ie some of them are rated for 100K if you wanted to pull a D9 cat out with one.

I have a 20 and 30K strap, both 20 feet long.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
I pick mine up off job sites and rate them "unsafe for lifting" I look for 2 x20's and 2x30's in particular. I also get many Japanese shackles this way(the client only allows Crosby on the job sites). Life is good. :xdevil:

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Bryanccfshr said:
I pick mine up off job sites and rate them "unsafe for lifting" I look for 2 x20's and 2x30's in particular. I also get many Japanese shackles this way(the client only allows Crosby on the job sites). Life is good. :xdevil:
so, are you hinting that you sell straps and shackles? hee, hee

any fishing lately?

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
hytenor said:
so, are you hinting that you sell straps and shackles? hee, hee

any fishing lately?

No I don't steal..I er mean confiscate enough to sell.

I have not had much fishing success the past couple of months. I did finish redecorating the kitchen for my wife and it snowed in south texas. I had 6" of snow!!!

Nope I didn't go fishing that day :rolleyes:

Putting the Taco on the market. I am going to get a Jeep Cherokee or something to beat up on. I can't justify the Taco getting 6k miles a year. ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Bryanccfshr said:
No I don't steal..I er mean confiscate enough to sell.

I have not had much fishing success the past couple of months. I did finish redecorating the kitchen for my wife and it snowed in south texas. I had 6" of snow!!!

Nope I didn't go fishing that day :rolleyes:

Putting the Taco on the market. I am going to get a Jeep Cherokee or something to beat up on. I can't justify the Taco getting 6k miles a year. ;)
What?!? give up the Taco? how can you do such a thing??
not really, ya gotta do what ya gotta do ;)

or...just start beatin' on the Taco ;) after the first few dents it gets easier.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
14 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing