TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone on here tow some sort of camping trailer (RV)? If so what kind and what are the specs (weight, length, type). I am looking for some sort of popup trailer.
thanks!

Mine:
2004 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4
Daughter's:
1998 Toyota Tacoma AccessCab 4x4
Wife:
2006 Toyota Sienna

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Do a search, this subject has been covered..... a lot. You'll find some have towed as much as 6K, I wouldnt recommend towing that much. Stay below 3500lbs and 20' length, get trailer brakes and dont expect fast acceleration. Learn how to drive ahead of the vehicle and predict the traffic.
I tow a 3300lb boat and on occaision tow a 600lb car trailer with different cars weighing as much as 3500lbs. I prefer towing either one with my Suburban but in a pinch the Tacoma will handle the load if driven correctly.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
a popup trailer isnt an RV an rv is self powered, a rectreational vehicle, not a popup camper....

·
Registered
464 Posts
2002 xtracab trd auto v6. lots of popup towing, most of it with a enduro bike and a large pile of shit in the bed as well. no problems. i do use redline synth in the tranny.

ps: yes my wife is a total trooper!

jim aka the wrooster

finally...
2am -- IN THE RAIN!!!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Mikerox did it for 2 yrs with his red dbl cab. Look him up for info. He said it wasn't that bad on power, gas or brakes, considering how much it weighed.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I tow a 24' Gulfstream travel trailer. Empty weight is 3500lbs and fully loaded with water and camping supplies is around 5000k. Granted I did it before the swap, and after the blower and fuel mods. I really didn't have a problem with power going up hills, it was stopping that was a bitch. I didn't have trailer brakes installed. Here is a pic of one of my recent trips. I let the chevy do most of the towing on this trip so I could explore and wheel.

I now tow this with my new 06 and it has no problem whatsoever. It is actually a pleasure pulling it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I know it sounds crazy, but I tow a 36' Whispering Pine, bumper pull. Its weighs about 5,000 lbs. To be honost it really pulls great. Of course I have the trailer brake box, weight distrubution, and sway bar. I pull it from Arkansas to the Mississippi gulf coast often. I'll try to get some pics up later.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I even (carefully) drag this pig down some trails to camp with the primitive campers.

It is an old heavy pig full of camping junk and the Taco pulls it just fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
12 Participants
meithkiller
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing