TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay boys,

I need help! I am looking to get a new vehicle and I want a Taco or Tundra, but I am not sure how to figure out true towing cap.?

Jordan :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey it really all depends on what you are towing. I tow a 6x12ft utility trailer all summer and my Tacoma pulls it fine most times it just has mowers on it but I have hauled a 14ft box trailer that loaded up probably weighed well over the 6500lb capacity. The truck pulls pretty good most times backing up I put it in 4Lo to save on the clutch with weight on if its up hill. The tundra I think has the same towing capacity and i think the 4.7 has the same horsepower rating but should have more torque I dont know I have never driven one. If you are doing a serious amount of towing and want a Toy I would wait til Feb of 07 when the new 07 Tundras are out. They are supposed to be able to tow over 10,000lbs and have a 5.7L v-8 with "well north of 350hp"~ got that from a mag i picked up at the gas station. It really all depends on what you want to do... these trucks do well but they do have limits

edit. When I am towing heavy loads we have a 05 Cummins really if you plan to do alot of heavy towing one of the big 3 coal burners are going to be your best bet I have towed 16,000lbs with the cummins and it handles it good and feels safe still and that is the most important thing

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Taco_Tuesday said:
Okay boys,

I need help! I am looking to get a new vehicle and I want a Taco or Tundra, but I am not sure how to figure out true towing cap.?

Jordan :D
Wait 2 months for the 07 tundra. It has a 10k towing capacity, more HP than the Hemi, and its designed to tow.

·
Registered
803 Posts
RaideRNatioN said:
Wait 2 months for the 07 tundra. It has a 10k towing capacity, more HP than the Hemi, and its designed to tow.
^^What he said^^ The current Tacoma's and Tundra's are to close in capacity to make much of a difference. If you're wanting to tow anything 5K lbs or less they're fine tow vehicles. The '07 Tundra is a totally different animal. Figure around 75-80% of a gasoline powered truck's rated capacity to be a comfortable number. I would go a 100% capacity on a deisel powered truck and be comfortable. :2cents:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
rogersja63 said:
^^What he said^^ The current Tacoma's and Tundra's are to close in capacity to make much of a difference. If you're wanting to tow anything 5K lbs or less they're fine tow vehicles. The '07 Tundra is a totally different animal. Figure around 75-80% of a gasoline powered truck's rated capacity to be a comfortable number. I would go a 100% capacity on a deisel powered truck and be comfortable. :2cents:
Sounds about right... if you are buying a tow rig and want toyota get the 07 tundra, other wise go diesel for a tow rig...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts