TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok Normally I rent a 5x8 enclosed trailer from uhaul and it works out. But I was offered a 6x10 enclosed trailer at the same price.

How much will the 6x10 be harder to tow than a 5x8?
With the loaded 5x8 I can tow flat land at 60 mph and I down shift into 4th on the hills (any incline) to stay at 60 mph.

I will have about 1500-2000 lbs of Pro Audio Gear in the back of the trailer.

I am towing with a 98 Ext Cab, 4cly, 5 sp... 33x10.5s with 4:56 gears... Engine Mods: LCE Header, MagnaFlow Cat, Chop'd tailpipe...

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
wvuviv30 said:
ok Normally I rent a 5x8 enclosed trailer from uhaul and it works out. But I was offered a 6x10 enclosed trailer at the same price.

With the loaded 5x8 I can tow flat land at 60 mph and I down shift into 4th on the hills (any incline) to stay at 60 mph.

I will have about 1500-2000 lbs of Pro Audio Gear in the back of the trailer.

I am towing with a 98 Ext Cab, 4cly, 5 sp... 33x10.5s with 4:56 gears... Engine Mods: LCE Header, MagnaFlow Cat, Chop'd tailpipe...
trailer brakes, right? ;)

the truck will pull it but won't be happy. just hope you don't have too many hills to climb. The weight difference between the two trailers won't be that much...but Tr brakes are the key to keeping it safe.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
hytenor said:
trailer brakes, right? ;)

the truck will pull it but won't be happy. just hope you don't have too many hills to climb. The weight difference between the two trailers won't be that much...but Tr brakes are the key to keeping it safe.
x2, you would be at about the limit of the truck...

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
ocdropzone said:
x2, you would be at about the limit of the truck...
or over since the 2.7s have a 3500# limit

·
Registered
717 Posts
i am lookin to do some moving soon, and i was wondering how the deaver 8 leaf would work towing an 8x12 trailer about 600mi? not really concerned about being able to pulling it up hills, but if the springs can handle the load?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
wvuviv30 said:
The 6x12 (I assume you had a typo), weighes double the 5x8.. so 1800 vs 900. There is also the increased drag from wind as well as the tandem axle.. If all your gear fits in the 5x8 use that.. dont go bigger than what you need... also you said 1500-2000lbs, 2000+1800 = 3800, over the limit someone else posted, probally not a real big issue, but still over...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think the 6x12 pulls nice, but do you really need that size? See if they can check for another location cause you will be over recommended towing weight; granted not by much, but still ... the 6x12 DOES have surge brakes which is great. All I can say is check around and take it slow.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
NorCalTRD said:
i am lookin to do some moving soon, and i was wondering how the deaver 8 leaf would work towing an 8x12 trailer about 600mi? not really concerned about being able to pulling it up hills, but if the springs can handle the load?
if you keep the tongue weight down, sure ;)

Deavers are for flex, NOT weight.

·
Registered
717 Posts
hytenor said:
if you keep the tongue weight down, sure ;)

Deavers are for flex, NOT weight.

and that is why i got them. :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interex said:
I wasn't aware that Uhaul had a 6x10. I know they've got a 6x12 as I've towed that Uhaul trailer size before.

no no no... I am purchasing one... and the "small" sizes are 5x8, 6x10, and 6x12.

I am going to get a 5x8 since a 6x10 would be close to my tow cap...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interex said:
I wasn't aware that Uhaul had a 6x10. I know they've got a 6x12 as I've towed that Uhaul trailer size before.

no no no... I am purchasing one... and the "small" sizes are 5x8, 6x10, and 6x12.

I am going to get a 5x8 since a 6x10 would be close to my tow cap...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
wvuviv30
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing