TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying a sport with the tow package in Oct/Nov. I will be towing a 18' travel trailer that dry weights 3700lbs. but loaded is closer to 5500lbs. It is a dual axel trailer and the tongue weight is 420lbs. Any thoughts on whether the Tacoma would be a good match? Most of the towing will be in western Canada and the Pacific northwest. :confused:

Cheers

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
A Tacoma certainly wouldn't be my first choice to tow something that big. I mean, yeah, it could probably do it but it wouldn't be optimal for that application. I'd look into a new Tundra or another full-size truck of some sort.

By the way, what in the hell are you putting into that thing to add 1800 lbs to it??? That's a lot of food or clothes or whatever. :D

·
Administrator
18,271 Posts
Thats within limits since the Towing package gives you 6500lb towing capacity. However your obviously pretty close to the limit. Does it have trailer brakes? Are we talking occasional towing or more frequent? To me, I think your right on the edge between a Tacoma and the Tundra with V8. Maybe somebody else on here that has towed with the 05+ models can give you some personal experience.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
ShowStop said:
However your obviously pretty close to the limit.
See, that's the reasoning for my opinion on it. I've seen or heard of people towing a trail rig on a trailer behind their 99 or 2000 Tacoma. It's apparently capable of it but I wouldn't do it personally. I'd much rather get a larger tow rig that tows it effortlessly. That way you barely know it's back there when you're towing such a large load.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I have an '05 and have towed pretty close to the 6500lb limit a couple of times. I tow 1500-5K on a fairly regular basic (2-3x's/month) I put an electric brake controller on my truck too. It helps, but I would suggest that if you are going to be towing the 5500lbs very often that you consider a fullsize truck. The GVW of the truck gets eaten up fast with the weight of people, dogs etc. It is great that you know the approximate weight you have added to the trailer. Most people don't take into account the weight of a couple of propane tanks, trailer battery, full water tank etc.
The weight of added bumpers, winch, slider, canopy etc also add up quickly and take away from the weight capacity of your truck too...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most towing would be less than 300 - 400 miles and at weights less than I stated previously. The weight would be the highest with water in it (approx 5500lbs). A more typical weight would be 4100-4300 pounds. The trailer has electric brakes and I would plan on putting in a controller. Trailer only gets used April thru Sept total of maybe 6-8 trips. I
Should of been more specific first time around.

Cheers

·
Registered
925 Posts
Snow monkey said:
Most towing would be less than 300 - 400 miles and at weights less than I stated previously. The weight would be the highest with water in it (approx 5500lbs). A more typical weight would be 4100-4300 pounds. The trailer has electric brakes and I would plan on putting in a controller. Trailer only gets used April thru Sept total of maybe 6-8 trips. I
Should of been more specific first time around.

Cheers
do it! it won't even feel 4100-4300 pds. ok, maybe that's overstating it, but it'll be hella easy with the 05+'s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How is the GVW calculated on the trailers. The Taco site claims max. tow of 6500 lbs is that combined truck/ trailer (combined GVW) or just loaded trailer? I'm still trying to figure out if the taco would work. Towing wouldn't ever get to even 6k. normally 41-4300lbs.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
GCWR of the taco is 6500 plus truck weight... IIRC its up around 11000. Trailer weight is trailer weight... It will probally be fine for an occasional weekend warrior. But I bet you will be heavier than you think. Dont forget your probally going to have stuff like clothing, cooking gear, etc in the trailer.. unless you put it all in the bed of the taco. If your buying the truck to tow I would get a fullsize. If your buying the truck for many reasons, towing being a small part you will be fine. There are other things than weight to consider, large trailers can overpower smaller rigs. A good rule of thumb is you want your truck longer than your trailer.. thou with todays toys(trailers not toyotas) that is becoming harder and harder. I am sure the taco would tow it fine, but may not be the best choice.

·
Registered
803 Posts
ah64id said:
GCWR of the taco is 6500 plus truck weight... IIRC its up around 11000. Trailer weight is trailer weight... It will probally be fine for an occasional weekend warrior. But I bet you will be heavier than you think. Dont forget your probally going to have stuff like clothing, cooking gear, etc in the trailer.. unless you put it all in the bed of the taco. If your buying the truck to tow I would get a fullsize. If your buying the truck for many reasons, towing being a small part you will be fine. There are other things than weight to consider, large trailers can overpower smaller rigs. A good rule of thumb is you want your truck longer than your trailer.. thou with todays toys(trailers not toyotas) that is becoming harder and harder. I am sure the taco would tow it fine, but may not be the best choice.
Yep, 11100 lbs is the GCWR. Get a good brake controller (prodigy, jordan, brakesmart) and weight distributing hitch with sway control and you'll be all right towing up to 80% of 6500lbs rating with a stock '05+. Once you get over that 80% you'll be wishing for a bigger truck though. :2cents:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I towed my CJ on a trailer the other month. I wouldn't hesitate to tow a trailer that size if your are on vacation (relaxed driving), because you do need to learn to drive with much slowwer accelleration and a longer braking distance. Give yourself extra space between yourself and the car in front of you. If you are an impatiant fast driver then get a bigger truck because you will oneday have to stand on the brake and your truck won't stop in time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts