TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those of you that trailer your ifs truck, how to do strap down the front end? Strap around the A-arms? Or do you just strap down to front bumper or tow recovery points and compress the suspension the best you can?

Also, what type of straps to you use? One strap on each corner of the truck for 4 total?

First time towing the tacoma and will be doing it with a uhaul trailer so want to make sure I have everything I need.

·
Registered
214 Posts

I like each corner IFS or not

I strap the back axle down

and have done every combination possible on the front

just get it good and tight :D

more recently I have been making a noose and rapping it around the front tires like this or strapping the front rims down

hope this helps

RBB

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you know, I was really hoping to get some input from someone that has towed before...:p

yep thats helpful and pictures are always better! Thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Uhaul trailers have 3" ratchet straps that wrap over the front tires and some small 'groove' the tire is meant to sit in but is certainly were not expected to hold the vehicle alone.

Attach to the axle and LCA's means if the suspension bobs it wont affect the tension on the straps, but it will bob more freely. Attach to the frame there will be little or no bobbing, but if it does there is potential to loosen the strap or come unhooked (if its hook type). The couple times I have rigged a ~car~ it's been from the suspension, partly because of the lack of any real frame on most cars. I'd go for suspension first and any extra on the frame. Only rigged my truck once and we rigged frame and suspension with I think 3 straps and a chain.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uhaul trailers have 3" ratchet straps that wrap over the front tires and some small 'groove' the tire is meant to sit in but is certainly were not expected to hold the vehicle alone.

Attach to the axle and LCA's means if the suspension bobs it wont affect the tension on the straps, but it will bob more freely. Attach to the frame there will be little or no bobbing, but if it does there is potential to loosen the strap or come unhooked (if its hook type). The couple times I have rigged a ~car~ it's been from the suspension, partly because of the lack of any real frame on most cars. I'd go for suspension first and any extra on the frame. Only rigged my truck once and we rigged frame and suspension with I think 3 straps and a chain.
thanks. I picked these up for when I do get the trailer...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just towed mine back from Co to Ca with a Uhaul trailer. I used the tire nets for the front tires they just barley fit had to air the tires down. I also strapped through the front wheels crossed under the truck to the back of the trailer with my own straps. For the rear strapped the axle and crossed them under the truck to the front of the trailer with my own straps. Truck didn't move at all for the 1,000 mile drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts