TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 3.4 Double Cab 4x4 Tacoma. Everything is stock except for the 275/70R16 tires. I tow a 19' bass boat twice a week and my tacoma just can't handle the hills without redlining. I have done the deck plate mod, amsoil air filter and throttle body spacer. Is there anything else I can do for better towing performance? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Supercharge it,... no wait that seem sto be my answer to everything. Seriously if you're looking to get more power a SC is the only thing that will give you a noticable gain. You might want to rethink using your taco as a tow rig if that boat/trailer weighs more than 5K lbs.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Do you keep the OD off? There aint much you can do. The Supercharger is a perfromance mod that can help your towing but by the time it's said and done you will be spending enough to put you in a bigger truck. If you are straining now with a weight the SC won't help the main problem. (The gear spread between 2nd and 3rd in the transmission).

You are pushing the limitations of the Taco as a tow vehicle. I tow lightweight flats boats occasionally and they push my truck. Putting two kayaks up on the rack in the wind requires me to shut down the OD.
Nothing wrong with going up to a Ttundra if you need better towing. What do like more, the truck or the bass boat?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have towed 3500lbs from NJ to CA twice and CA to NJ once I never had any problems even with 33's and a 2.7L. However you need to go slow. If you are towing a 4Klb boat you have twice the weight that it is used to. You go slower and save the wear on the tranny. Use 4Low on the launch ramp. Trying to do 60-70MPH with a trailer that weighs as much as your truck is insane. Flashers and 2nd will climb any grade I have ever seen in CA, NV, UT, CO or anywhere. Mods aren't really going to help. Regearing is about the only option.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
First off the Throttle body spacer is a waste of time, and money, throw that thing away and you'll save some weight.
I tow a 19' Ski Boat every summer with my 99 3.4 5spd, with the A/C on in Texas heat and dont have the problems you seem to have.
I'd make two recomendations:
1) Get a tranny cooler, this'll prolong the life of your tranny.
2) Get a shift kit for the tranny. Something like what the S/C trucks are using.
Neither of these will give you more HP, but they will change the shift points and make your tranny run cooler and longer, also you need to keep in mind that you only have 6 cylinders if you want serious towing performance and speed you'll need to sell and buy a V8.

Tim

·
Registered
503 Posts
Roach said:
I have a 2002 3.4 Double Cab 4x4 Tacoma. Everything is stock except for the 275/70R16 tires. I tow a 19' bass boat twice a week and my tacoma just can't handle the hills without redlining. I have done the deck plate mod, amsoil air filter and throttle body spacer. Is there anything else I can do for better towing performance? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 20ft open bow ski boat with a V8 Volvo Penta in it. The boat weight is 2800 with the trailer and gas I am guessing its close to 4200 it has to be more than your boat. I have had no problems towing my boat with the same setup. Might want to make sure everything is tuned. Also as said before the SC will help. It provides a lot more low end tq. Might also regear. I have 4.11's in the back so that may be the difference.

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the replies.

I've kept the OD off when towing and it does help the transmission from shifting all of the place.

Thanks again

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tbplus10:

What exactly is a shift kit for the transmission?
Do you think the throttle body spacer is hurting my performance any?

Thanks for all the replies!!!!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Roach said:
btw-from personal experience, the s/c (at least without fuel mods) adds much less towing power than you would think.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My friend, you have 2 options. It sounds like you are giving it more throttle when it starts to bog and causing the transmission to shift like crazy (bad idea)
1) you can slow down and take it easy
2) you can go buy a full size truck and tow that boat like it's not even there.

I've ridden in F-150, Chevy 1500, F-250 all with loads bigger than yours and they run up hill with no problem.
Like what was said above, you just have to decide how much you like the truck.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
peekay331 said:
btw-from personal experience, the s/c (at least without fuel mods) adds much less towing power than you would think.
I would have to agree on that. If anyone deiced to add more power for towing, the fuel mods are a must. I would expect with such a heavy load on the engine, the stock ECU will not be able to compensate enough and you would ping like crazy(damaging the engine)..
Personally, I wouldn't run the SC without fuel mods even if not towing.

Roach said:
tbplus10:

Do you think the throttle body spacer is hurting my performance any?

Thanks for all the replies!!!!!
I wouldn't say it is hurting performance but useless nonetheless. I have a TB spacer on my truck, but only because it has a place to put the water injection nipple. As for performance or gas mileage,.. it added ZERO.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I dont think the throttle body spacer hurts performance, but I know it doesnt help performance.
The shift kit is a replacement valve body for the transmission, it holds the tranny in a lower gear until the rpms build a little higher, reducing hunting between gears, and giving a firmer shift into the next gear. Also as stated a few post's back leave the Overdrive locked out, when running Overdrive you'll heat the tranny fluid up alot when the tranny starts to slip.

Tim

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
tbplus10 said:
The shift kit is a replacement valve body for the transmission, it holds the tranny in a lower gear until the rpms build a little higher, reducing hunting between gears, and giving a firmer shift into the next gear.
Tim
Actually the valve body upgrade will give you quicker shifting transitions(from gear to gear). It has nothing to do with the shift points. The shift points are controlled by the ECU. The ECT button will hold the gears longer and alter your shift points. Other than that the only other way I can think of changing those shift points is regearing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts