TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok before u ask. i did search. i just wanna make sure i am right.

i have an 05 D-cab tundra with towing package. tow rating is 6800 lbs. i want to tow my 90 pickup on a car hauler trailer. the pickup has a good bit of mods and i'm figuring the weight to be closer to 3500 or 4000 lbs. I'm guessin that the trailer is between 1000 and 2000. is this still safe to tow. I am a experienced hauler but never with something this heavy. i don't have a trailer brake system in my truck either.

i know the weight doesn't exceed the trucks limits but i just want to make sure. i would like advice on how ya'll strap a top heavy load down. (the 90 pickup is on 37's with an old IFS lift, it's about 6' 6" tall)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Its going to be hard to speculate with any assurence how much your trailer and rig weighs.

Trailers weigh a variety of weights. I have a short (12' deck), light weight trailer, it only weighs 1200lbs and rated for 5K with two 3500lb axles under it. Some of the all steel decked ones are pushing 2000lbs easily.

Without a specific list of weights ie amount of tubing, plate, axles, tires, engine, and other drivetrain mods etc etc etc It would be pure speculation on the weight of your trail rig as well.

If you want to know if your exceeding the weight for towing. Take your rig, trailer and Tundra to weigh scales and get it weighed.

Recomendations would be a grain scale, the dump often has scales on the cheap. Full service truck stops often have scales as well but will cost $20 or so.

Wally

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know the trailer and its a square tube frame, angle iron with no side rails and wood deck. with spare mounted at front of trailer. i was thinking 1500lbs for the trailer cuz of the wood deck. it is a tandem axle trailer.

the pickup has the 3.slow v6, 4in ifs lift, 2in body, 37in tires, a davez offroad tube bumper, roll bar in bed, and 6 fogs lights, and the rest is stock. stock weight was close to 3000lbs. i was thinking its around 3500lbs now.

the tundra is all stock minus adj bilsteins and 285/75/16 tires.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I hate to speculate on stuff like that, if it were me, I would want to know for sure what everything weighed. If you want to hear that its "ok" then go for it, but I don't think thats the best answer or advice. Your looking at 15 - 20 minutes of your time at the most to weigh everything and then there will be zero speculation. Hope you already have a 10 or 12K truck license.

You should get brakes on at least one of the axles with a conservative 5K combined weight. My guess is that the loaded trailer will be at least as heavy or heavier than your Tundra. If the trailer starts pushing the Tundra around going down hill, it really helps stop that pushing. 5K trailer and emergency stopping in an adequate distance without trailer brakes isn't going to happen. If you end up around 6000lbs or more, I would consider a load leveling hitch, not only do they help balance the load better, but they make the trailer sway far less.

As far as strapping it down, I use four 5K rated ratchet straps wrap around the axles front and rear (solid axle) would use the front tow hooks for an IFS. Some people cross strap front and rear. Tractor Supply had the heavy duty ratchet straps (5k) fairly cheap 6 mos ago or so, I got all 4 for $40 and some change.

If your trailer doesn't have anchor points for the straps, 3/8" or 1/2"sh D rings for trailers would work. Check a trailer store or a Farm or Tractor supply type place, they should have them as well. I don't know that the weld on or bolt in type are better than the other?

:2cents:

Wally

Clarified "loaded" trailer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts