TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was wondering if anybody here has towed an amount around 5000# with their Tacoma, this is about what I'll be towing. I live in an area with many hills and was wondering how it handled the load. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2005, v-6, 6 speed, 4x4, doublecab, TRD #2.

I tow 2 boats, one is a 20' @ 2000lbs with trailer. No problems towing on the highway at 70mph even up hills.

The other is a 26' offshore boat @ 6200lbs with trailer. You know you have an attached boat to the truck towing this. Top speed is around 45mph with hills down to a crawl @ 30mph. Thank god it's only 5 miles of back roads to the launch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks major. Do you mean that when you are towing the larger boat that your Max speed is 45? Or is it just the speed you feel comfortable towing at? The launch for me is about 15 minutes away and involves about 10 minutes of freeway driving.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 19 foot boat that total tow weight with trailer is around 3500 pounds and can keep highway speeds even up most hills. Oh yeah 98 V6 with a 5 speed manual trans. (minor mods to make it breathe better)

·
Registered
44 Posts
With the big boat max speed I can get out of the truck is 45mph on level road. Thats all it will do, 4th gear. The posted speed limit is 50 on one stretch of road I use.
If I shift to 5th the speed steadily sinks.

I had a 2002 Dodge Dakota, 4.7, 5 speed manual and I had the same suituation with the big boat.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Major Woods said:
The other is a 26' offshore boat @ 6200lbs with trailer. You know you have an attached boat to the truck towing this. Top speed is around 45mph with hills down to a crawl @ 30mph. Thank god it's only 5 miles of back roads to the launch.

Must be the drag of the air. I was able to tow my BMW with my '01, no problem.
BMW = 2700#s Trailer = 2000#s. I had no problem up hills at all. Would still do 65 up some major mnt passes. I would highly suggest trailer brakes if you are going to tow 5000#s. When going down the hill with my car in tow and no trailer brakes, I almost wrecked both of them. As I was coming down the hill, the trailer started to sway. There was no way I could slow down if someone cut me off, would have jackknifed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
UNFORTUNATELY TACOMAS HAVE ALWAYS LACKED THE POWER WE'D LIKE THEM TO HAVE NATUARLY. AT LEAST NOW THEY HAVE SUPERCHARGERS (NOT TIL THIS NOVEMBER FOR 05's). WITH HILLS AND ALTITUDE YOUR NOT GONNA WANT TO HALF ASS YOUR INTAKE MODS. BLOW IT AND GO! BUT REMEMBER: BALANCE OF INTAKE AND OUT PUT ENHANCES PERFORMANCE (HEADERS & EXHAUST). TACOMA OWNERS DON'T KNOW HAPPINESS UNTIL THEY'VE EXPERIENCED A FREE FLOWING BLOWN TACO!

·
Registered
23 Posts
not significantly considering my assumption of your question being in reference to a TRD charger. toyota has researched wear extensively and (as cheap as they are ) wouldn't introduce chargers to their engines if wear was extensive. that would make them look bad to us consumers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
mlazuka said:
Thanks for the help everybody. Would a supercharger decrease engine life at all?
The answer to your question is yes, introducing higher compression than normal (what the engine was designed to run normally) to an engine via a power adder will always produce more wear and tear but if you have the right tune then you should be ok depending on the amount of boost you run. The more power your vehicle makes the more strain that’s transferred to the entire drive train. Now the manufacture does allow for a percentage of increased power or power train longevity but ounce you modify your original equipment it could last a month or 20 years, you just don't know.

·
Registered
196 Posts
EROCK said:
... AT LEAST NOW THEY HAVE SUPERCHARGERS (NOT TIL THIS NOVEMBER FOR 05's). ...
Where did you get the Nov 05 date? I had heard rumor that they were having trouble / not going to do a SC / etc., but I believe Toyota also stated they would have one when they intro-ed the 05 XRunner at one of the auto shows.

·
Registered
503 Posts
EROCK said:
UNFORTUNATELY TACOMAS HAVE ALWAYS LACKED THE POWER WE'D LIKE THEM TO HAVE NATUARLY. AT LEAST NOW THEY HAVE SUPERCHARGERS (NOT TIL THIS NOVEMBER FOR 05's). WITH HILLS AND ALTITUDE YOUR NOT GONNA WANT TO HALF ASS YOUR INTAKE MODS. BLOW IT AND GO! BUT REMEMBER: BALANCE OF INTAKE AND OUT PUT ENHANCES PERFORMANCE (HEADERS & EXHAUST). TACOMA OWNERS DON'T KNOW HAPPINESS UNTIL THEY'VE EXPERIENCED A FREE FLOWING BLOWN TACO!
Where did you get the nov date for the sc? I have talked to TRD three times and was always told that trd wasn't going to make one.

Chris

·
Registered
550 Posts
hmm i was planning on using my 05 taco (which i just got after i break it in) to tow a 5500 lb boat+trailor. I got a land rover discovery which can pull it, the only problem is at 65-70 you can get into a sway due to the short wheelbase (100''). The disco is around 5000lb i think. The new taco is barely 4000, yet they claim it can tow 6500lb? I appriciate that the wheelbase is almost 30'' longer than my disco, but its a light truck... i definetly never want to experience an emergency braking situation in it while trailoring my boat. How much longer is the double cab compared to the access cab? I got the access cab because i am 16 and dont really need a lot of room in the back... i am the one whos driving, my friends can cram wherever they like :) Anyways, i will be towing a 24' zodiac medline, 8 feet wide. Major woods, do you ever have any problems with swaying on the freeway at higher speeds (ie 45mph)? I think it just happens because of the discos really short wheelbase. my only concern is how light the taco is :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
CMB1998 said:
Where did you get the nov date for the sc? I have talked to TRD three times and was always told that trd wasn't going to make one.

THE PARTS DEPT. OF THE DEALER I SPECIAL ORDERED MY 00 FROM SAID NOV. IS THE EXPECTED RELEASE. I TOO HAVE E-MAILED TRD BUT HAVE NOT GOTTEN A RESPONSE....??? WHY WOULD THEY CONTINUE OFFERING BLOWERS FOR THE V8, 3.4, ETC. BUT NOT THE 4.0 IN THEIR BEST SELLING TRUCK? THE NEW 4.0 ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT COMPENSATE FOR THE MUCH NEEDED BOLT ON POWER OF THE BLOWER TO THE 3.4 - ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING VEHICLE SIZE INCREASE. I'LL KEEP POSTED WHAT I FIND OUT (OR HEAR).

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,482 Posts
EROCK said:
CMB1998 said:

THE PARTS DEPT. OF THE DEALER I SPECIAL ORDERED MY 00 FROM SAID NOV. IS THE EXPECTED RELEASE. I TOO HAVE E-MAILED TRD BUT HAVE NOT GOTTEN A RESPONSE....??? WHY WOULD THEY CONTINUE OFFERING BLOWERS FOR THE V8, 3.4, ETC. BUT NOT THE 4.0 IN THEIR BEST SELLING TRUCK? THE NEW 4.0 ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT COMPENSATE FOR THE MUCH NEEDED BOLT ON POWER OF THE BLOWER TO THE 3.4 - ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING VEHICLE SIZE INCREASE. I'LL KEEP POSTED WHAT I FIND OUT (OR HEAR).
Please do everybody a favor...

·
Registered
19 Posts
towing with 05

Sorry but this is a reply to an old thread. I am considering a 2005-2006 Tacoma and would use it for towing a 2,500-3,000 lb tent trailer. For towing with the 2005+ Tacomas is it better to get the 6 spd or the auto?

Thanks,

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 2oo5 Dbl. Cab. Sport tows a 23' Malibu (wakeboard/ski boat) wonderfully. I had a Titan before the Taco, and that thing was a monster and towed like the boat wasn't even behind me...but the taco does a great job! Boat and trailer and gear/gas = approx. 5500+lbs. Now that I've got the new 33's on it, the towing is just a bit sluggish, but it still gets me to where I need to go comfortably and safely...

·
Registered
479 Posts
acording to my manual, page 322, a 2004 4wd with the 5vz-fe and the tow package can tow 6000lbs, you would figure the 05 would tow more than that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts