TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be getting an 05+ 4cyl prerunner and I have to trailer things occasionally. Its never anything massive by any means. What do you guys think about using a manual? I've been racing dirtbikes for 10 years so I'm competent with a manual once I get used to the feel of the clutch. One thing in particular that concerns me is pulling my boat out of the water. It won't be pulling a boat over 1000# for a long time since I'll be in college shortly and won't be able to afford a good full sized boat for a long time(hopefully by the time I can afford a v6).

So my question is simple, how is towing with a manual? Any comments, tips and advice are welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
i havent ever had a problem with it...most people on the site adore the MT

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
If you can drive a stick I wouldn't let it worry you. I pull a 15' bass boat, and a 17' carolina skiff with my truck all the time and it is not a problem. Some of the ramps down here suck. Covered in slime and very steep. Use the e-brake and 4Lo and you won't have a problem, and your clutch will last a lot longer

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
My 99 Taco is a MT and ive towed my 19' bowrider a good bit. Once you get the feel for the clutch it really is nothing. Just some quick feet and a hand on the ebrake. Or if you're really worried about it just stick it in 4lo and :driving: hit the gas. You shouldnt have anything to worry about. Lately though i throw my 16' Jon boat in the bed of the truck... reverse and hit the brakes to get it out...WEEEEEEE

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Use the e-brake and 4Lo and you won't have a problem, and your clutch will last a lot longer
I think he would be getting a prerunner... so no 4lo for him.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
I tow my 18' ski boat with my v6 Taco all the time. It's a MT.

On the ramp, or when I start on any steep incline, I use 2lo, then switch to 2hi. It's much easier on the clutch.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I picture your biggest problem with the Prerunner on a wet boat ramp....

Getting enough traction.

Perhaps when you go to pull it out of the water - you air down the rear tires a bit ??

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I totally missed the whole prerunner thing-my bad. I still dont think you'll have a problem. Just know the clutch and come off the ebrake easy. You'll be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
597 Posts
two words

hand throttle:D
i love mine and is fairly easy mod to do and if you want to maintain a factory look you can purchase one from sleeoffroad.com they have factory toyota ones from land cruisers, or go to a tractor store and get one, i personally just got a rear gear selector of a bike and it works wonderfully i can controll with my thumb and us the brakes and the cluth with my feet instead of tryin to use all three pedals at the same time or using the ebrake

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
If you can drive a stick I wouldn't let it worry you. I pull a 15' bass boat, and a 17' carolina skiff with my truck all the time and it is not a problem. Some of the ramps down here suck. Covered in slime and very steep. Use the e-brake and 4Lo and you won't have a problem, and your clutch will last a lot longer

I asked the same question....the answer I got was....."aren`t all semi`s manual trans tranmissions?" If you can drive stick you can tow with it.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
I asked the same question....the answer I got was....."aren`t all semi`s manual trans tranmissions?" If you can drive stick you can tow with it.
They also have many low range gears to get them going.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the numbers for payload and such, are a tad bit higher with a manual tranny than a auto.

Whereas you go to a ford ranger, it is the opposite...

If you can get trailer brakes installed on your trailer, do it. It makes towing much safer. A lift also helps if you do a AAL out back. It doesn't increase your towing capacity, but helps fight back on sway and supports the load better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I'll look into the hand throttle thing as a possible option. I was thinking about it and it seems the safest and most intelligent way to do it would be to e-brake it then go from there. It saves the clutch and minimizes any chances of ending up in the water. Thanks all for the input.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Hand throttle for towing a little boat????

·
Registered
206 Posts
You'll be fine. I towed 1,000 lbs with my 4 cylinder Jeep Wrangler (5 speed).

·
Registered
51 Posts
i've towed old volkswagen bus's and a few volkswagen water-cooleds with mine here and there from new york to pa no problems ever. mines is a 4cyl 5spd.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Just towed this 110 miles, didn't need no stinkin hand throttle.

Averaged 15.2 mpg.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts