TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I’m just curious more than anything else… For those with automatics; what gear are you towing in? I have an 18’ boat/trailer with a combine weight of approximately 4000lbs and was wondering if anyone is towing in 5th gear or not, even on flat ground. (Truck specs: '07, V6 with tow package, 4x4, DC, LB)
Alex

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll tell you in a couple weeks when the lakes finally turn into water around here...but I plan on putting in 4 and leaving it. Of course I have a lot of hills here in NY but from what I've read the tranny is pretty finacky with its shifting.

If you weren't towing so much weight, I would say OD would be ok but I wouldn't chance it with the tranny. It'll stay much cooler in 4.

·
Registered
883 Posts
it says to put it on 4 in your manual. i would definatley abide by that if your going to tow that much.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In OD the tranny will be able to clip the clutches, causing heat and internal damage over time.

Towing in "4" allows the tranny to go into lock-up and the clutches don't slip. It is not worth the tiny bit extra fuel mileage to damage the tranny.

I used to tow 5-6K behind my 100 series Cruiser. It was only rated for 6500# like my Taco, but the extra weight of the tow vehicle made it a better towing platform. That said, I would look into trailer brakes if you plan on towing much if you dont already have them.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
my dad has an 07 DC. Its an automatic, and we just recently towed a 6X12 trailer. It did great hauling...you wouldnt have even knew the trailer was there, but i will confess that sometimes it was asking for another gear.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If the boat/motor/trailer weigh near 4000lbs you'll definately know its there. I towed an 18' boat w/ trailer (a fairly light boat) for years (on flat ground) and never used 4wd. I disengaged the OD until I got up to hwy speeds, but that is just common sense.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Towed my buds 22 foot boat in 4th gear. Too many grades around here to pull in 5th. Trany also locks up in 5th, but is constantly looking for a gear. I would leave it in 4th.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts