TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how much I can tow with my bumper? I have a 03 Tacoma DC TRD 4x4. I am looking to pull a couple of snowmobiles.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
108 Posts
Towing with a ball on your bumper is class 2. I'd think a small trailer that is light, with 2 snowmobiles wouldn't be a problem, but you probably need to know how much weight the trailer plus the snowmobiles will add up to. If you install a class 3 hitch with a wiring kit, and do it yourself, you can pretty much haul anything you want, and that would cost you about $180.00. I did that, and this weekend had to haul around a 1250 pound trailer loaded with about 2500 pounds of stuff in it. I got the V6 TRD 4x4, and it was a struggle for that poor engine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Check your owners manual, there's a section on towing capacities with and without a receiver hitch. Anything you tow will track and tow better if your using a receiver hitch though.

Tim

·
Registered
121 Posts
i have been towing with a ball on the bumper all my life ...the bumper is rated to tow a 3500lb trailer...i think that will more than cover your snowmobiles. If my truck woudln't be lifted i would have no need for a towing package but now i need to have a drop down receiver hitch because of the height difference...so long to my days of saving money.

Just for your info here is a breakdown of what the owners manual says:

The maximum gross trailer weight
(trailer weight plus cargo weight)
must never exceed the following.
Two–wheel drive models except
Pre Runner
2RZ–FE and 5VZ–FE engines
1587 kg (3500 lb.)
Four–wheel drive models and Pre
Runner
3RZ–FE engine
1587 kg (3500 lb.)
5VZ–FE engine
Without towing package
1587 kg (3500 lb.)
With towing package
2721 kg (6000 lb.)
If towing a trailer and cargo weighing
over 907 kg (2000 lb.), it is
necessary to use a sway control
device with sufficient capacity. The
combination of the gross trailer
weight added to the total weight of
the vehicle, occupants and vehicle
cargo must never exceed a total of
the following.
Two–wheel drive models except Pre
Runner
2RZ–FE engine
3035 kg (6700 lb.)
5VZ–FE engine
3080 kg (6800 lb.)
Four–wheel drive models and Pre
Runner
3RZ–FE engine
3355 kg (7400 lb.)
5VZ–FE engine
Without towing package
3401 kg (7500 lb.)
With towing package
4535 kg (10000 lb.)
Exceeding the maximum weight of
the trailer, the vehicle, or the vehicle
and trailer combination, can
cause an accident resulting in serious
personal injuries.

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
there is a spot right above the hole on the bumper that says what the capacity is on towing. I believe it is 3500. I just got the big hitch bolted on my 04 DC and they are at 5000 ponds. Might be better to get that incase there is something else down the line you want to tow that weighs more. Like bigger toys.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Towing with Ball on my bumper?
I would perfer with it in between my legs and on the driver seat, just joking

Even with the Toyota rating to tow with the bumper, I would invest in a real class III tow hitch, not only it increase you towing capacity, it will also box in the rear "open box ladder frame" and make it stronger, frt already have the inner bumper, another benefit is a real metal bumper than the stock chessy chrome bumper.

I also had read some post on the old taco site that the square hitch is higher capacity that the round one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
cbr900rr95 said:
I would perfer with it in between my legs and on the driver seat, just joking

Even with the Toyota rating to tow with the bumper, I would invest in a real class III tow hitch, not only it increase you towing capacity, it will also box in the rear "open box ladder frame" and make it stronger, frt already have the inner bumper, another benefit is a real metal bumper than the stock chessy chrome bumper.

I also had read some post on the old taco site that the square hitch is higher capacity that the round one.
Only problem with metal aftermarket bumpers with the receivers built in is that they aren't usually DOT approved for towing and usually carry the "for off road use only" lable...i got one and feel it's stronger than any towing package will ever be...just a heads up though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
afcajun said:
Only problem with metal aftermarket bumpers with the receivers built in is that they aren't usually DOT approved for towing and usually carry the "for off road use only" lable...i got one and feel it's stronger than any towing package will ever be...just a heads up though.
I mean the hitch will work as a bumper, not a bumper with a hitch built in.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also, if you value the look of your bumper whatsoever, I would not suggest towing with it. Depending upon the design of the trailer tongue, their is a very good chance that you will dent your bumper when making sharp turns. I have two identical dents on each side of the ball from this. I have since switched to a hitch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts