TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a 2004 Tacoma X-Cab TRD w/ the 3.4 & 5 speed. I will need to tow a boat that weighs 3800lbs, motorcycle trailer 3000lbs, & snowmobiles in snow 1500lbs. How will this truck handle this task? I need the truck to get fair mpg's and do alot of work. I currently have a full size that does the work well but gets horrible mpg. I don't want to have beat this Taco to get what I need. Any opinions?

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
possible_taco_owner said:
I'm looking at getting a 2004 Tacoma X-Cab TRD w/ the 3.4 & 5 speed. I will need to tow a boat that weighs 3800lbs, motorcycle trailer 3000lbs, & snowmobiles in snow 1500lbs. How will this truck handle this task? I need the truck to get fair mpg's and do alot of work. I currently have a full size that does the work well but gets horrible mpg. I don't want to have beat this Taco to get what I need. Any opinions?

Search is your friend:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2345

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3358

What is your idea of "fair mpg?"

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3323&highlight=mileage

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got a '99 Tacoma PreRunner with an auto tranny. For the past 4 years I've been towing around a 2500lb Suzuki Samurai. Last year I had a 14' boat that weighed around 2000lbs. Neither was a task for the truck. A couple of I bought a much larger boat (~4000lbs) and have towed it 9 or 10 times now around town and out to the lake. There are some sizeable hills (not mountains) out in the hill country on my way to the lake and the truck has done very well. I'll have to wait until after this summer to give a full report.

I have added a transmission cooler which won't be necessary on a 5 speed. I have also added a set of air lift helper springs on the rear that have made a huge difference when towing AND having a big load in the bed.

Mine is a prerunner, and that is the ONLY reason that I'm looking for a new truck... if it had 4WD, I'd keep it forever.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
possible_taco_owner said:
I've got a 99 4x4 V6 5spd Xcab TRD Tacoma that for the last 6 years I've used to tow a 3800lb boat, or a 600lb car trailer with between 2500 to 3600lbs of car, or a car dolly.
Pulls ok, mileage with a trailer averages about 15, without a trailor about 18. I'd recommend trailer brakes for anything over 2000lbs.
Dont expect a rocket off the line with a trailer on, you'll probably have to replace or mod the rear leafs after about 25k miles due to sagging (depending on amt of trailering done), the extra weight wears them out.
I traded from a fullsize to this truck for mileage, I felt the performance loss was defiantly worth the mileage gain, especially if your only towing once or twice a month.

Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts