TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how much weight the bumper can hold when pulling a trailer? I have a 2004 Tacoma Prerunner and it does not have the square tow package. Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
qwkrtnu said:
Can anyone tell me how much weight the bumper can hold when pulling a trailer? I have a 2004 Tacoma Prerunner and it does not have the square tow package. Thanks
2000lb trailer 200lb tongue weight I bet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
qwkrtnu said:
Just don't do it. Invest on a trailer hitch and save your bumper from getting bent and misaligned.

·
Registered
45 Posts
it may say on the bumper...i know mine does (2002 Preunner)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Mine did not either, but I would never trust the bumper and bought a hitch. I tow a 1000 lb trailer and 2 ATV's often (total 2K lbs with gear, etc.) and it does it okay. Leave it out of OD to save the tranny from "hunting" for gears and it'll cruise at 65 NP. 70 if you really are in a hurry :D MPG gets bad (usually 14 for me), but nothing horrible. You can put it in OD if you are on real flat ground and the tranny is not hunting though.

Also I am going to get a trans temp gauge and a big trans cooler before I get tom many more miles on it. Mine is a V6, I would hate towing with the 4cyl and Auto. Actually I wouldn't even consider it lol

·
Registered
348 Posts
qwkrtnu said:
What are you planning on towing? If it is a 1000 lbs or so loaded you are well within the weight range. But I do echo everyone else in saying a hitch is a better option.

Also, you may want to consider the ball height. Most very small trailers are quite low and the ball would then be located quite high on the bumper (especially if you have the TRD package). Depending on the trailer you might scrape the back over bumps or get a lot more swaying action at speed. With a hitch, you can drop the ball height with the correct draw bar.

Hope that helps.

Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts