TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my list so far of what i have: (Updated: 10/23/13)

This is going into a 1996 Tacoma Xtra Cab 2.7L 4X4

Build Thread Here:
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174272

Axle Parts (Bought):
$550 - '85 Toy axle w/ '98 E-Locker
$100 - Stock Axle Set
Free - Knuckle Rebuild Kit (figure $150)
$50 - IFS outers
$399 - MC Hi-steer
$15 - MC Backing Plate Eliminators
$99 - FROR Tacoma Brake mounts
$250 - TG Tacoma Shackle Kit
$70 - Used Aisin Locking Hubs
$150 - Used Toyota Knuckle/Spindle outers
$50 - (2) Solid pinion spacers
$39 - E-locker Diff Guard
$15 - Steering Box mount kit
$785 - (2) 5.29 Gear Sets and Master Install Kits

Other Parts (Bought):
$119 - MC 23spl input
$10 - MC triple drilled flanges
$20 - FROR Firewall Plate
$75 - IFS Steering Box
$39 - MC Rear shackle hanger
$55 - 3/4 Drop Steering Arm (traded my flat arm)
$50 - Top shift t-case
$50 - RUF's already setup
$70 - Allpro 1.5" Spacers
$9 - Extended Thread lug nuts
$200 - W56 Transmission
$350 - MC MC07 doubler
$100 - Top Shift T-case
$270 - TG T-100 oilpan conversion
$79 - TG Tacoma PS hose kit
$80 - TG Frame braces
$600 - 4runner E-Locker rear axle 4.10s
$210 - TG Rear Frame Support and misc other items.
$165 - Marlin Triple Drilled Flanges and Misc nuts and bolts
$700 - (5) 35x12.5x17 MTR/Ks 70% tread, spare is new.
$55 - Extended Brake lines
$30 - Front Wheel Lug Studs

What I still need to Buy:
-Misc Nuts and Bolts

$5283 - Spent
$0 - Need to Spend
$6068 - Current Total

Stuff i will make (since steel and welding supplies are free at the store! :rofl:) :
- Shock Hoops
Complete - Front Winch Mount/Spring Hanger

(I will add as i remember stuff... :saw:

Here are some pics of the truck BEFORE the hacking:

·
Registered
572 Posts
This is my list so far of what i have:

Axle Parts (Bought):
Free - '85 Toy Axle (figure $350)
Free - 8" Yukon 5.29s (figure $150)
Free - Knuckle Rebuild Kit (figure $150)
$50 - IFS locking hubs
$50 - IFS outers
$399 - MC Hi-steer
$15 - MC Backing Plate Eliminators
$99 - FROR Tacoma Brake mounts

Other Parts (Bought):
$119 - MC 23spl input
$10 - MC triple drilled flanges
$20 - FROR Firewall Plate
$75 - IFS Steering Box
$39 - MC Rear shackle hanger
$55 - Marlin Flat Steering Arm
$50 - Top shift t-case
$50 - RUF's already setup

What I still need to Buy:
$150 - Yukon 8.4" 5.29s
$150 - Yukon 8" install kit
$349 - MC trans/t-case adapter
$250 - T-100 oilpan conversion
$99 - Sky's front hanger (or build one)
$100 - 1.5" Spacers
$150 - Frame braces/steering box mount
$50 - Extended brake lines

$1,681 - Spent
$1,298 - Need to Spend
$2,979 - Current Total

Stuff i will make (since steel and welding supplies are free at the store! :rofl:) :
- Shock Hoops
- Front Winch Mount
- Rear hanger brackets
- Crossmember

(I will add as i remember stuff... :saw:
Not free :p

Good start on everything so far.. When do you plan to :saw:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not free :p

Good start on everything so far.. When do you plan to :saw:
I know! :p (Actually they're free if you lend your welder out to CLOSE friends and thats how they pay you for borrowing it!:D)

I'm thinking I'll start early next year. I actually emailed TG to see when they're planning to sell the rear SAS shackle hangers apart from the kit, they said in a couple months, which is fine. I'm still gathering parts and deciding on some things. Like whether or not to buy the trans./t-case adapter for my W59 trans or buy a W56 trans and use the money saved for a dual-case adapter instead.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I know! :p (Actually they're free if you lend your welder out to CLOSE friends and thats how they pay you for borrowing it!:D)

I'm thinking I'll start early next year. I actually emailed TG to see when they're planning to sell the rear SAS shackle hangers apart from the kit, they said in a couple months, which is fine. I'm still gathering parts and deciding on some things. Like whether or not to buy the trans./t-case adapter for my W59 trans or buy a W56 trans and use the money saved for a dual-case adapter instead.
Haha, true. Or if you work for company that deals with alot of steel, especially scrap metal... Free use of welder (perk of working there) and well they don't need scrap :D

Anyway... It's hard playing the hurry up and wait game. I waited almost over a year. I was committed to paying the money, and taking the time to work on it.. Then 3 months later after research I bought some parts.. with in 2 months I purchased the majority of my parts, and 4 months ago I bought the rest of the parts. Then came the :saw: :welder:.. Now after 2 months... It's still driving.. Even with fucked up front end :)

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
i like the price list gives me an idea of what ill be looking at total. lets see some pics:kewl:
ur 87 is a lot easier swap than his and can be quite a bit cheaper if u want it to be

·
Registered
95 Posts
ur 87 is a lot easier swap and his and can be quite a bit cheaper if u want it to be
what is he sasing? i think im gonna buy all-pros kit and then just run chevy 63s in the rear. i already picked up 35s, so all i need is an axle really. but im gonna go with gears and lockers, most likely arb's and all that good stuff, so i imagine it will be somewhere in the 2500-3000 range.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
a tacoma. there alot more involved than a pre 95. 95 and older have the same frame as a factory solid axle truck and basically everything is the same other than the front suspension so its just weld on the perches and bolt most the other stuff on. basically

·
Registered
95 Posts
a tacoma. there alot more involved than a pre 95. 95 and older have the same frame as a factory solid axle truck and basically everything is the same other than the front suspension so its just weld on the perches and bolt most the other stuff on. basically
ahhh thought he was doing an older pickup. they are for sure harder than the pre 95s.

·
Registered
191 Posts
ur 87 is a lot easier swap than his and can be quite a bit cheaper if u want it to be
care to to share a price total. i know it would be ball park, but i have an 86 that i'm thinking about sasing and was trying to get some figures.

toyota axle, ruf's, crossover sterring. just something basic. sorry for the hijack. thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts
care to to share a price total. i know it would be ball park, but i have an 86 that i'm thinking about sasing and was trying to get some figures.

toyota axle, ruf's, crossover sterring. just something basic. sorry for the hijack. thanks
All depends on how you build the truck... $2k-5k.

Also are you doing the work yourself? It'll save alot of money, basically free right Boonie :flipoff4:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All depends on how you build the truck... $2k-5k.

Also are you doing the work yourself? It'll save alot of money, basically free right Boonie :flipoff4:

You bet! :flipoff4: :D

Just price out some of the stuff from the list above, minus what you don't need. For an '80s-90s IFS truck it's going to be cheaper because you don't need to swap drivetrain parts/difference side. Building brackets yourself saves a ton in places. Sometimes it is cheaper to get the "kit" pieces. I would personally get the rear "through the frame" shackle hanger kits from Trail-Gear or Marlin Crawler maybe.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Boonie Buster. I may be confused but, looking at your parts list it looks as if you are going to run ifs hub lock outs with your ifs 4x4 hubs???? The front range kit requires IFS 4x4 hubs to be turned down and then you use straight axle hub lockouts. I also believe you do not need your backing plate eliminators because the tacoma brake mounting kit takes their width into consideration. I am in the middle of the the same swap on my 97. Good luck!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Boonie Buster. I may be confused but, looking at your parts list it looks as if you are going to run ifs hub lock outs with your ifs 4x4 hubs???? The front range kit requires IFS 4x4 hubs to be turned down and then you use straight axle hub lockouts.
I don't listen to FROR. ;) :p Reason being is I have some Warn hubs (what came on the axle i have to use ) that i'll use for the time being. The IFS hubs come into play a little later. Longfield sells inner hub gears so you can use them.

I also believe you do not need your backing plate eliminators because the tacoma brake mounting kit takes their width into consideration. I am in the middle of the the same swap on my 97. Good luck!
I hadn't thought about this, i'll look into it though. But FROR made no mention of this taking the place of the brake backing plate. One can only assume that if you're just putting the taco brake plates on that you still have the stock brake plates and would reuse them. BUT i have neither heard yes or no to this. Do you know? :confused:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
You still need to use the eliminator plate with the FROR kit. The plate sets the location of the seal at the hub body.

·
Registered
650 Posts
You still need to use the eliminator plate with the FROR kit. The plate sets the location of the seal at the hub body.
I did not use the backing plate eliminators and it seals fine. Talked to Brian and he said not to use them. I measured the thickness of the eliminators I have, and it will seal either with or without them. I guess it really does not matter if you use them or not.:)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Getting a W56 trans. Top Shift T-case and Marlin Crawler Doubler this weekend. $350 cash and trade for some RC car stuff I have.:D But total value is $650 for those keeping track. ;)

I updated the list with a few items i've bought or changed.:saw:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts