TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of new tires for the 80. I was wondering if anybody had any opinions (and I know you do, because if there's one thing we are never short on in this crew it's opinions. Like in my opinion anybody who lets their wife where the pants is a.. fill in politically incorrect term here, but Please don't tell my wife I said that.) on what I should get and where. I am currently leaning towards Toyo MT or Goodyear duratac MT's? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've had both on different vehicles and don't have any complaints about either. However I currently have 35" duratracs on my 01 f250 and I really like them. They are quiet and it's looking like I will probably easily get 50k miles out of them (already have 25k and 60-70% tread left).

I don't know what size your looking at purchasing but the duratracs are usually much cheaper than the toyos also. So I guess out of those two tires my vote would go to the duratracs...

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Toyo MT. Ran the same size as you on my cruiser. You will be hard pressed to find many people that have many negative things to say about them. They are an amazing offroad tire. One of the best out there in terms of strength, durability, handling, and longevity. But all that comes at a price, and that is weight. The Toyo's are known for being very heavy compared to other tires in the same class.

For example, you are currently running a 315/75/16 size tire. In that size, the Toyo MT weights 76 lbs whereas the Duratrac only weights 64 lbs. That is a big difference. Just for comparison a BFG KM2 also weighs 64 lbs.

12 lbs per tire is a lot of extra weight to be moving around. 80 series cruisers are already underpowered and are known for having fairly crappy brakes. I noticed with my 80, when I was coming down the Red Rock side of Rocky Gap that my brakes were getting really hot and spongy. Everyone on the trail could smell them.

Personally, knowing how you wheel, the longer trips you are starting to take, and the price of gas, I'd go with the Duratracs. They are getting rave reviews from all sorts of users, from Jeeps, to F250 guys, to Toyota users, etc.

·
NVTTORA Pres. 社長
696 Posts
I've run both and I am also in need of a new set. I will be picking up Toyo MT's.

They are a superior tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
rdrttoy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing